swengl

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S, Model Y
Country flag
https://www.msn.com/en-us/autos/new...r-tesla-near-impossible-for-others/ar-AAUBbrm. I thought this was a bit telling in that Musk admits that it is going to be tough to keep the price of the CT down. I hope it doesn't mean that CT reservation holders are in for a Rivian level shock when pricing for the CT is actually released. I know we have worn the thread discussing pricing pretty thin, but with inflation, the chip shortage and now war in Europe, I can't help but think there will be a sizable adjustment to the pricing structure.

I'm a bit encouraged by the fact that Tesla's continual improvement on the design/manufacturing methods (think GigaPress) will help eliminate some costs that other manufacturers don't seem as concerned about (yet). If the 4680 lines get up to speed and can reduce the cost/time promised on Battery day, there's a good possibility that any adjustment could be relatively minor. I really don't see Tesla jacking the price by $20K like Rivian is doing (please don't prove me wrong, Elon) :)
Sponsored

SpaceYooper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
13' F150, 17' Explorer, 13' Cruz, 13' Clubman
Occupation
Retired USSF SNCO, REALTOR®
Country flag
...I can't help but think there will be a sizable adjustment to the pricing structure.
Sure you can. Use Tesla history. Use the fact that they knew the price they released was projecting years ahead and any CEO knows there are risks in predictions so they should project with caution and padding built in. They knew the truck wasn't coming for a couple years; they know the average inflation rates; they knew they would have to pad their price beyond those rates since they didn't even have a factory started.

So just stop assuming Tesla is run by people who can't think past tomorrow and you can easily not think a sizable adjustment will be required.

Deleted member 12457

I'm retired so I am having my doubts I'll ever be able to afford any new car, much less an EV and especially not a CT. If Tesla financing has a 6-7 year no interest loan, maybe I could afford one. Even at a long term loan, we're still talking at least $1000/mo plus insurance. Gas savings can only help so much. The only thing that will help is a radical reduction in the cost and size of the battery (or whatever the power source will be), which would help reduce the weight and get better range.

ED_SFO

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
M3
Country flag
From watching Munro's channel, Tesla could easily pull parts from what they already have. I wouldn't mind a tri-motor with plaids rear motors with a MYP front motor and model y underpinnings. Seems like going to the parts bin would be the best way to go...model y structural pack too...heck even seats from a model x, whatever it takes to get CT on the road sooner!

OP
OP
swengl

swengl

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S, Model Y
Country flag
Sure you can. Use Tesla history. Use the fact that they knew the price they released was projecting years ahead and any CEO knows there are risks in predictions so they should project with caution and padding built in. They knew the truck wasn't coming for a couple years; they know the average inflation rates; they knew they would have to pad their price beyond those rates since they didn't even have a factory started.

So just stop assuming Tesla is run by people who can't think past tomorrow and you can easily not think a sizable adjustment will be required.
The pandemic and chip shortage together were next to impossible to predict (in terms of economic impact) and I doubt anyone "priced" those factors into anything 3 years ago. I'm not assuming folks at Tesla are stupid, but I'm not saying that they are economic oracles, either.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
From watching Munro's channel, Tesla could easily pull parts from what they already have. I wouldn't mind a tri-motor with plaids rear motors with a MYP front motor and model y underpinnings. Seems like going to the parts bin would be the best way to go...model y structural pack too...heck even seats from a model x, whatever it takes to get CT on the road sooner!
Tesla was already doing this. 'Tri motor' was what would be the Plaid when dropped into the Model S. The prototype Semi (and presumably the current one) takes its motors from the Model 3. The door controls for the Cybertruck are the same as on the Roadster, which are an evolution from what's on the Model X.

And this sort of cross-pollination is why Tesla has been successful. You'd see this sort of integration in cars 50 years ago - doors and frames shared, etc - and that's coming back into style. Sort of.

It's also why I think the four-wheel steering is what led to the quad-motor design. (Not feature creep from Rivian and Lordstown.) If they already had to adapt the tri-motor's rear to steering, why not just use that in the front?

-Crissa

Toonces

First Name
Meow
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Model Y
Occupation
Building Mechanic
Country flag
https://www.msn.com/en-us/autos/new...r-tesla-near-impossible-for-others/ar-AAUBbrm. I thought this was a bit telling in that Musk admits that it is going to be tough to keep the price of the CT down. I hope it doesn't mean that CT reservation holders are in for a Rivian level shock when pricing for the CT is actually released. I know we have worn the thread discussing pricing pretty thin, but with inflation, the chip shortage and now war in Europe, I can't help but think there will be a sizable adjustment to the pricing structure.

I'm a bit encouraged by the fact that Tesla's continual improvement on the design/manufacturing methods (think GigaPress) will help eliminate some costs that other manufacturers don't seem as concerned about (yet). If the 4680 lines get up to speed and can reduce the cost/time promised on Battery day, there's a good possibility that any adjustment could be relatively minor. I really don't see Tesla jacking the price by $20K like Rivian is doing (please don't prove me wrong, Elon) :)
I was already thinking 15-20% increase to prepare myself so I don’t pass out when actual pricing is revealed

charliemagpie

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CybrBEAST
Occupation
retired
Country flag
I bet my left knacker. Just put your knacker on the table, and the bet is on !

A probable adjustment, maybe inflation or extras that couldn't be resisted, not miscalculation.

Less than 10% increase if at all

Sirfun

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Avalon, Chrysler Pacifica PHEV, Ford E-250
Occupation
Retired Sheet Metal Worker
Country flag
Come on people, this is easy to grasp.

"If it is extremely hard to do so for Tesla, despite our much greater economies of scale & better technology, then it is damn near impossible for others."

That's Elon Musk speak. How many times have you heard Elon say something was extremely hard to accomplish, and then find a way to accomplish it. That what Elon does!!!!!!

Last edited:

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
…How many times have you heard Elon say something was very hard to accomplish, and then find a way to accomplish it. That what Elon does!!!!!!
How many times have people said Musk wasn’t going to do what he’s said he’s going to do? This is all pretty much par for the course.

People still saying Cybertruck will never get delivered even with 3-4 of them tooling around in Fremont and Texas.

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Tesla Model 3 LR
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag

The OP said as much, don’t you think, on reading the entire post?

happy intruder

First Name
O. K.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3 Jun 2019..... Model S Jan 2020
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I am becoming more and more skeptical ......and I am of the age now where I can get different toys to play with....like a new BMW r1200gs of BMW F-850 GS......maybe the Aptera, to "Y"...........just tired of the miscommunications or non-communication....Yea, the "Y's" are starting to roll of the line, but they have all the equipment to make them....how long did it take to get the Giga press certified....The CT has no Giga Press yet.....and nobody at Tesla is talking about it either....probably for fear of the fear itself......talk is cheap and I am a pretty good listener, but now, it all seems to be the same line of BS......very frustrating....sorry for ranting

happy intruder

First Name
O. K.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3 Jun 2019..... Model S Jan 2020
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Who would talk about the giga press?

-Crissa
who else.....the only one who knows....Elon? He seems to know everything else and is the "problem solver"....well a lot of people think the giga press has problems......where is it in the timeline?....someone should speak up.....

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
Seems like Elon talked about it alot. That it takes alot of crates and will take alot of time to get installed. I don't know why we hadn't seen it yet, maybe it got bumped from its boat? Maybe they're waiting for the Model Y casting machines to be dialed in before it shows up. It does have to wait its turn.

-Crissa
Sponsored