John K

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt, CT reserve day 2
Country flag
I've used those. In some cases they work better than air. In others, not so much. When the chips are really packed into the T slots, you can't pull one of these through the slot. In that case, you have to use air to take little "bites" at a time.
Yep, father was a machinists, chief engineer when in the merchant marines, small machine in his later years servicing merchant ships.

I was slave labor.
Sponsored

Todd D

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW M760, Lexus GX470-GXOR, Cybertruck on order
Occupation
Investments
Country flag
wireless 10K Winch
Heat(optional)/ventilate (Mandatory) seat -I live in the south!
Seat Massage
HUD
Built in Light bar above the windshield like we've seen in some of the animations

FutureBoy

First Name
Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag
MY CT would have………. brace yourself……… RADAR ? I’m prolly gonna regret that but I just had to ?. No more radar talk, I promise lol.
Tesla Cybertruck My CT would have.... Radar_s05e12-01

I have to say, this would make a great addition to my CT. Radar could get pretty much anything to anywhere with little to no official paperwork. Now THAT would be a convenient addition. Not sure if I have to provide room and board for this feature though.

Last edited:

ranjames

First Name
Randal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford F350
Occupation
Cyber EVP
Country flag
How about equipping it with a earlier delivery... and let me the first on the block to receive...
you can park one in my driveway without batteries until you get the battery situation resolved. I would just love to have the neighbors jealous.. :)

Double Dare Fan

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Kia Soul
Occupation
etsy.com/PlatonicWoodWorks
Country flag
Since we haven’t seen the actual slots exposed let alone, anything attached to them, there is a lot of supposition going on.

Seems like an awful lot of machined metal on a car that is designed to be easy to build.

My theory: It’s basically an adhesive/ filler holding the floor slats together. They put down the adhesive and press the steel plates into it. Then the excess is scraped off like tile grout is.
T-slots are probably one of those things that is not on the prototype, but will be included standard in production. The ends of the slots will probably have ramps to facilitate removal of debris. Like in the sketch below:
Tesla Cybertruck My CT would have.... tslot

This would also help with the insertion of fasteners.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
T-slots are probably one of those things that is not on the prototype, but will be included standard in production. The ends of the slots will probably have ramps to facilitate removal of debris. Like in the sketch below:
The only evidence we have for them is a vague visual resemblance and rumors.

The floor of the vault appears to be stainless with no bolts. What happens when a forklift blade catches the edge of one of these slabs or machined steel and bends it up? Or just a rock getting wedged in there and permanently jammed into the seam?

Most important... how expensive would it be to add this to the truck versus a smooth truck bed? The most common way of making this kind of slot is by machining them into the surface, but from a cost perspective, machining that much stainless for each truck is absolutely out of the question.

Double Dare Fan

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Kia Soul
Occupation
Country flag
I understand there is little evidence of T-slots. Hence, my hypothesis.
I do not see forklifts being a problem. Every CT owner will just have to tell any forklift operators to watch what they are doing. The door to the underbed compartment would be a greater concern.

I would never think the bed would be made from a machined slab of SS. Even if it was cheap to do (I know it is totally not), that would be too heavy. Cast SS with machined slots, much like a table saw, would use less material, but would still be too heavy, and would still cost a fortune.
My sketch is just that: a sketch. It is all about what the slot ends could be like.

An angle grinder or a multi-tool with a stone-cutting blade will make short work of jammed rocks. I would lean toward using the multi-tool, as there would be less risk of slip-ups.

Also, any slots not in use would have either OEM or aftermarket plastic or rubber inserts that keep out rocks, sand, gravel, etc. At least, that is what I would do.

Edit:
Forgot to mention, the T-slots could be separate pieces that would be screwed down. Much like the assembly tables seen in some woodworking videos, like this one:

Maybe even also holding down the panels in between, like the bed of some vintage pickups:

Last edited:

anionic1

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Estimator
Country flag
I really don't think those are T slots on the horizontal surface. I think the flat stainless would be too slippery by itself so they are adding a rubber or other material to create more traction. I cant find any official source saying that they are in fact T slots. It seems like everyone is assuming that they are. Also, if you look at images of the ramp, tailgate and lid of the storage compartment, those all have the lines too. Why would they T slot any of those areas. No way would they allow you to tie down to the lid of the storage area and why have them on the tail gate unless it could lock in the flat position. I think all this T slot talk on the horizontal surface is not going to amount to much.

Double Dare Fan

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Kia Soul
Occupation
Country flag
The more I think about it, the more I am having my doubts. You are probably right, anionic1.
Something I have noticed in the pictures, and no one else seemed to have mentioned, are what appears to be tie-down points in the side walls, near the corners.
Tesla Cybertruck My CT would have.... CTtie

With those, there is little need for T-slots.

Deleted member 11233

My Tesla Cybertruck would have (if they can do it)

1. A front and rear 2" receiver hitch opening with adjacent heavy duty 12 volt power pole outlet-will bring my own receiver mount winch which I can use on front or back
2. A full metal skid plate to protect the battery underside
3. A simple heads-up display of turn signal and headlight status, speed, and battery condition
4. A full size spare tire (no need for jack or lug wrench-I already have those)
5. A trailer brake controller or at least an under-dash plug for off the shelf controllers, provided by owner
6. D-ring or some type of cargo tie downs-at least at front and rear corners of bed.

Tesla Cybertruck My CT would have.... casita at burning man with text

Last edited by a moderator:

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
1. A front and rear 2" receiver hitch opening with adjacent heavy duty 12 volt power pole outlet-will bring my own receiver mount winch which I can use on front or back
Pretty sure the rear hitch is standard. Front tow hitch or at least an easy way to attach an aftermarket one would be super nice.

6. D-ring or some type of cargo tie downs-at least at front and rear corners of bed.
There are tie downs in all 4 corners just about 2" above bed level on the prototype so I assume they will be on the final.

Tesla Cybertruck My CT would have.... Screen Shot 2021-08-17 at 9.25.00 AM
Sponsored