SoDakCyber

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Cybertruck
Country flag
I think @GnarlyDudeLive said it best in another thread. The more I think about it the more confident that the Dual Motor will remain at $49,900 at least for early reservations.
Agree. I think they will keep the quad under the limit for EV Tax credit $80,000. Question is, if they add the FSD option - does that make it a $90,000 vehicle? Then you could only qualify for tax credit with no FSD feature. Overall, I think they are trying to surpass the F-150 as the best selling truck ... ever. To do that, will take some radical incentive. The vehicle features are enough to get enthusiasts into the cybertruck game without a second thought, but what will it take for traditional truck buyers and drivers? I think Elon knows he needs to keeps the pricing down as added incentive to convert every day buyers.
Sponsored

Dusty

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Model Y Performance
Occupation
Creator
Country flag
Nah I don't see that.... Musk wants to crush the ICE truck segment and those prices won't do it. 80k US is about 100k Canadian so a 69k Trimotor competes very well with a loaded ICE truck.... and hurts that ICE market badly.
*** STEPS ON SOAPBOX ***

I don't know what the price will be, but the more I think about it the more I don't worry.

Tesla can't price it at the same (or higher) price as ability-equivalent ICE trucks eventually. The CT needs to be compelling, and if it has similar abilities at a similar price far too many potential buyers will simply buy the ICE equivalent without a second thought. The CT isn't in competition with EVs it is in competition with ICE F150/Raptor/TRX trucks. Truck buyers don't consider a vehicle being an EV as an "advantage". Even if it has 20% better specs across the board, die-hard ICE truck buyers will absolutely won't buy it. Even "power chasers" will just choose to throw a wrench and some money at their ICE trucks to try to exceed CT specs. So, the CT can't just have superior specs. Tesla has to know all of this by now.

"If you can't make them see the light, make 'em feel the heat."

When Tesla gets through the pre-orders, the task is to hunt for the "real" truck buyers. The key to the ICE market is: CT must have ā‰ˆ20% better capabilities across the board and cost ā‰ˆ15% less than any rival in the EV and ICE market. At that point it becomes compelling. It's hard to not choose a CT at that point. Tesla has to build a monster AND maximize the manufacturing advantages of the CT, such as no painting, vertical supply, easy assembly, etc. So, price+capabilities is the sugar buyers can't resist. The decision to not buy a compellingly priced CT would mean that Mr/Mrs ICE-diehard would have to: endure the "dealership experience" to buy a truck with inferior specs at a price that starts 15% higher. And, if they want to match the CT specs they'd have to spend another 15% for (warranty killing) aftermarket power-adders. So in total, spending ā‰ˆ30% more just to say "my truck can do what the CT does and still uses fossil fuel!"... nope.

Everyday, people buy vehicles that have inferior specs at similar price points vs the competition simply because they think a competitor's (proven to be superior) vehicle "isn't all that". However, NO ONE buys a vehicle with proven inferior capabilities that also costs (absolute hardline minimum) 15% more than its competition. Nobody. That is the definition of compelling.

On top of that, for the two years it will take to get the CT waitlist eliminated, ICE buyers will see the CT being a monster. Eventually the time will come when the wait time for deliveries will be 6-8 weeks, and that's when "real" ICE buyers will have to decide. THAT is when a compellingly priced CT will start slurping up ICE truck sales. Having the CT match the competition in price won't do it for die-hard ICE fans, it's all about making the CT hard for them to NOT buy.

So, I'm not worried about the price, and I don't know what it will be. What I'm confident in is that they're going to make it one helluva compelling purchase.

FutureBoy

First Name
Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag
Dual 80,000
Tri Motor 95,000
Quad Motor 115,000
Tell you what. I've got a relatively early preorder for a CT3. If you give me $115,000 I'll buy you a CT4 with my early preorder. No problem. If you would like, I'll even drive it to you for delivery (delivery must take place in the contiguous 48 states).
I'd even sign a contract to solidify that arrangement if you would like.

Mini2nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
Country flag
I am confident that RWS will be standard equipment on the Quad. Telsa will most likely not make RWS an option on the Dual Motor. Itā€˜s all about marketing and padding the bottom line.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
What insight do you have regarding the cost of the options? Will the low end model start at 60k+? Will I have to wait until 2025 to get my preorder?
As far as I know, dual motor price is the same today as it was a week ago. Did Tesla announce something I missed?

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
So, I'm not worried about the price, and I don't know what it will be. What I'm confident in is that they're going to make it one helluva compelling purchase.
Nice post.

I donā€™t think they will need to be less expensive, my feeling is if they bring it to market at or near the price of an average pickup truck, itā€™s advantages will speak for themselves.

Lots of people looking at this as if Tesla were making a couple hundred thousand and was going to move on. This truck needs to sell hundreds of thousands of units for 10+ years. To do that, the price/ performance needs to be compelling.

Most people buy who buy pickup trucks canā€™t afford $90-100,000+. The payments alone would be $2,000 a month, the cost of a house payment in a lot of markets.

Trucks need to appeal to blue collar workers. Plumbers, electricians need them to be affordable enough for their business to buy them. These need to be accessible to middle class people. The number of millionaires buying trucks is pretty limited.

Not 500,000 trucks. 750,000 trucks **per year** for 10 years. Thatā€™s 7.5 million truck buyers. That is the sort of scale Tesla is looking at. You donā€™t hit those numbers at $100k or even $80k.
Sponsored