Only limited edition $99k/$120k Foundation Series Cybertruck’s for 2024?

cvalue13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150L
Occupation
Fun-employed
Country flag
I also do not understand all of this “difficult to produce” mumbo jumbo. True or not it is too vague for me. Personally I would like to know whether ‘difficult’ really means too time consuming for mass production (perhaps because of the bending they have to do, or because of the grinding/polishing they do, etc.) or that it means something else. It goes without saying that they will try to remove whatever roadblocks they currently face; I just want to know what they mean.
not to suggest what I’m about to say resolves your confusion, because I believe you’ve heard it plenty of times and are sharp enough to understand as much as it says

but instead to repeat it so that you might say exactly what, for you, is unsatisfactory about it

• the CT line is built on a largely new platform and process that itself is currently being validated in the first instance

• the CT itself, same deal

• the CT has, as Musk put it, “10,000 new parts and processes, and so ramp will only go as fast as the weakest link”

all-in-all, these things have purportedly all been done to arrive at a line/vehicle that is fast and cheap to produce, once all the “invention” is dialed in

but the dialing in of all this invention is neither the fast nor cheap part

again, I get how all that remains somewhat vague. But on principle, despite the vagaries, to me it all makes sufficient sense to understand generally the “difficult to produce mumbo jumbo”

mom wondering, then, for you what level of more detail would be needed to satisfy your curiosity?
Sponsored

Ward L

First Name
Ward
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3, FS CT AWD
Country flag
I also do not understand all of this “difficult to produce” mumbo jumbo. True or not it is too vague for me. Personally I would like to know whether ‘difficult’ really means too time consuming for mass production (perhaps because of the bending they have to do, or because of the grinding/polishing they do, etc.) or that it means something else. It goes without saying that they will try to remove whatever roadblocks they currently face; I just want to know what they mean.
As far as difficult to produce, it is leading edge technology in HW4 chips, brand new battery design, no full production SS body before, huge windshield (& don’t forget that wiper blade), first Tesla truck designed from the ground up, totally new body design, sourcing parts/materials, on and on. All that adds up to VERY difficult to design and build. The big three can tweak the design a little and say it is a new model year. Looking at car builds over the last 50 years u can see a slow progression of improvement and complexity. Now Tesla is trying to build something not built before and learning how to make it cost effectively. I think they say Ford is losing $35k on every Lightning truck they sell. It is even hard for Ford to make an EV truck that looks like their ICE truck. The very hard part is making the truck and the money.

Dumb Game

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Dodge neon
Occupation
Line-Haul Trucker
Country flag
That’s my prediction for 2024. With ”off the hook” Cybertruck demand I see this coming to fruition.

I would love to hear opinions from other reservation holders.

A97627A1-8F7A-4490-876B-4C1CE2764E79.jpeg
I am looking forward to the acquisition of the CyberBeast foundation series with great anticipation and am prepared to don the appropriate attire for a comprehensive evaluation. (Bathrobe and emoji slippers)

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Tesla Model 3 LR
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
I can afford it and I won’t feel “pregnant with regret (that’s a really weird term btw….)” “if” the prices come down in 12 months.

I’ll tell you why.

first off, I’m going to be enjoying the absolute shit out of it. It will bring me mucho joy! I don’t put a monetary value on my happiness because joy is almost always a losing proposition that way.

Think “vacations”. Are they a good investment? Fuuuuuck no. You come home with just memories and joy. Hopefully….. 🤞

Second, because the CT isn’t and shouldn’t be an sound investment. It’s a depreciating asset. If you cannot afford to lose money on a vehicle, you shouldn’t buy it. This is not a hard concept.

Why must everything have an ROI where the metric is money? Can’t something you buy simply bring you joy and that’s the cost?
I get SO tired of people that try to pinch Pennie’s on everything they buy, and on people that buy and sell everything as an investment. It’s their right, of course, but I don’t want to waste my life away being concerned about that because life is stressful enough without adding that to everything. Sure, get the best price we can for what we want but leave it at that.

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
As far as difficult to produce, it is leading edge technology in HW4 chips, brand new battery design, no full production SS body before, huge windshield (& don’t forget that wiper blade), first Tesla truck designed from the ground up, totally new body design, sourcing parts/materials, on and on. All that adds up to VERY difficult to design and build. The big three can tweak the design a little and say it is a new model year. Looking at car builds over the last 50 years u can see a slow progression of improvement and complexity. Now Tesla is trying to build something not built before and learning how to make it cost effectively. I think they say Ford is losing $35k on every Lightning truck they sell. It is even hard for Ford to make an EV truck that looks like their ICE truck. The very hard part is making the truck and the money.
I disagree. The things you note are ‘broad-brush’ items no one would deny, but most of them aren’t difficult so much because once they are plugged into the manufacturing line they are done. The 48V architecture, wiring, and ether loop are brand new but are they ‘difficult’ from a manufacturing pov? I doubt it. Once designed it becomes a software issue. The SS is a true HW issue, but even that is difficult mostly from a rate of production pov- they need micro-level tolerances on something that undergoes a certain amount of plastic deformation and a certain amount of relaxation on every bend. They need to keep tweaking it to get it right and it may change with every batch of SS they get. That will be hard to scale. The polishing sounds like a largely human activity and that is hard to scale. What I am looking for (and maybe it will never be shared) is what Elon defines difficult to mean. Your explanation I find as useful as his.

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
not to suggest what I’m about to say resolves your confusion, because I believe you’ve heard it plenty of times and are sharp enough to understand as much as it says

but instead to repeat it so that you might say exactly what, for you, is unsatisfactory about it

• the CT line is built on a largely new platform and process that itself is currently being validated in the first instance

• the CT itself, same deal

• the CT has, as Musk put it, “10,000 new parts and processes, and so ramp will only go as fast as the weakest link”

all-in-all, these things have purportedly all been done to arrive at a line/vehicle that is fast and cheap to produce, once all the “invention” is dialed in

but the dialing in of all this invention is neither the fast nor cheap part

again, I get how all that remains somewhat vague. But on principle, despite the vagaries, to me it all makes sufficient sense to understand generally the “difficult to produce mumbo jumbo”

mom wondering, then, for you what level of more detail would be needed to satisfy your curiosity?
To me there is nothing obviously more difficult in the things you mention than building any vehicle for the first time. For example, I have not heard the Rivian or Lucid CEOs saying that their vehicles are difficult to build and they are undergoing manufacturing pain on a grand scale. Ford is doing electric for the first time and paying dearly for trying to do it the old way, but not making a lot of noise about it being difficult to manufacture. Each of them is doing things for the first time and having a hard time scaling. Elon/Tesla have a new architecture. Is it difficult to scale, is it a logistics problem, is it something that they cannot even figure out how to do yet? A combination of these and others? I am just curious on a deeper level than has been shared to date. It doesn’t affect my confidence in the car, the workers, the company, or Elon. If I told Elon what he is telling us I would expect a similar response. I would not expect any engineer to be satisfied with it.

Ward L

First Name
Ward
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3, FS CT AWD
Country flag
I disagree. The things you note are ‘broad-brush’ items no one would deny, but most of them aren’t difficult so much because once they are plugged into the manufacturing line they are done. The 48V architecture, wiring, and ether loop are brand new but are they ‘difficult’ from a manufacturing pov? I doubt it. Once designed it becomes a software issue. The SS is a true HW issue, but even that is difficult mostly from a rate of production pov- they need micro-level tolerances on something that undergoes a certain amount of plastic deformation and a certain amount of relaxation on every bend. They need to keep tweaking it to get it right and it may change with every batch of SS they get. That will be hard to scale. The polishing sounds like a largely human activity and that is hard to scale. What I am looking for (and maybe it will never be shared) is what Elon defines difficult to mean. Your explanation I find as useful as his.
Seems “the proof is in the pudding”. If it were easy, why don’t we all have CTs parked in our garage? I put in an order over 4 years ago. Sure, I’ve heard the “Elon kept changing his mind and slowed development”, but that doesn’t make it easy. Really, just scale up a new battery design, it is easy peasy. The scale up is why engineers make the big bucks because it is not easy. We can agree to disagree.

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
Seems “the proof is in the pudding”. If it were easy, why don’t we all have CTs parked in our garage? I put in an order over 4 years ago. Sure, I’ve heard the “Elon kept changing his mind and slowed development”, but that doesn’t make it easy. Really, just scale up a new battery design, it is easy peasy. The scale up is why engineers make the big bucks because it is not easy. We can agree to disagree.
I never said anything about the ramp. We have been told time and again what the ramp will be and we have spent a lot of collective effort trying to fathom what the ramp rate will be and how many trucks might be made in what kind of timeframe. Separate but not orthogonal set of issues as far as I am currently concerned. This set of comments is only about "difficult to build" type statements and what they actually mean. Yes, any difficulty in building will adversely affect the ramp, but my concern is with what he actually means with the word "difficult". Is it directed at scaling or something else, and if about scaling, what is the most problematic of the issues that he is referring to, or the current top 5 in terms of complexity.

Floridavid

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RAM 1500, Honda CRV, Honda CB750,
Country flag
As someone who’s in charger of design, development and production of sophisticated vehicles , I don’t see a CT production ramp or price decrease anytime soon. The supply chain issues of the last few years have been horrendous. It’s getting better, but subs like glass, connectors, CCAs, and metals are still restricting production.

Typical car part supply chains are recovering, but CT has unique subs such as castings, SS Panels, windshield and 48v systems that are novel and new. Tesla can throw money at these bottle necks to produce low volumes at FS prices, but don’t expect volume to increase, or prices to decrease until the DTC is solved.

Frank Hogan

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck (ordered)
Occupation
Construction
Country flag
That’s my prediction for 2024. With ”off the hook” Cybertruck demand I see this coming to fruition.

I would love to hear opinions from other reservation holders.

A97627A1-8F7A-4490-876B-4C1CE2764E79.jpeg
I would purchase a foundation now if I could figure out how to make the change

intimidator

First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford Lariat Lightning
Country flag
Only limited edition $99k/$120k Foundation Series Cybertruck’s for 2024?

Answer, yes.

And for all those folks here on the message board that beat me up when I said the Cybertruck would cost $99,000 when it finally came out....well you can always believe that the Cybertruck will come down in price to $65,000 someday. Hey the Easter Bunny is real, and the Cybertruck will sell for $65,000 next year! Both could be true.

CT26

First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
model 3
Country flag
I think FS will stop (or already have stopped) after being offered to orders placed on day 1 and 2. That would be around RN11285XX rewarding very early adopters with the "exclusive" FS...According to the tracker there is no new invitations received after 1/23

agordon117

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
cybertruck foundation awd
Country flag
I think FS will stop (or already have stopped) after being offered to orders placed on day 1 and 2. That would be around RN11285XX rewarding very early adopters with the "exclusive" FS...According to the tracker there is no new invitations received after 1/23
I see one on 1/25. I don't think there's any reason to suspect that we are nearing the end. At the most we can guess that the batches of invites going out are smaller with each wave, but that's about it.

CT26

First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
model 3
Country flag
I see one on 1/25. I don't think there's any reason to suspect that we are nearing the end. At the most we can guess that the batches of invites going out are smaller with each wave, but that's about it.
That is just one for the last 5 days and it is self reported ....Cutting FS around now satisfies "exclusivity" claim and practicability of production numbers to be delivered by April...
Sponsored