Are you replacing your ICE truck with the Cybertruck?

• Total voters

TyPope

First Name
Ty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'18 F150, '23 MY, '24 CT, '23 Maveric hybrid soon
Occupation
Operations Planner
Country flag
Of a couple of hundred guys on a BEV enthusiast web site who responded to a poll about 3/4 said that when they get their BEVs they will be replacing an ICE vehicle. I doubt the Ford boardroom is in turmoil., Now if they asked a couple of thousand of their current customers (people who have bought Ford trucks) what they intend to do when they get their next truck and 3/4 said they would be dumping ICE for BEV then they would be stirred to accelerate their BEV programs. They still have R.J.'s phone number in the rolodex.
If the couple hundred people turn out to be a good representative sample of the 500,000 pre-orders, that would mean that there will be 350,000 fewer ICE trucks sold next year... That's not a huge dent but it's a dent, nonetheless. There will also be 150,000 fewer ICE non-trucks sold due to Cybertruck sales. While that is also not significant, it's quite telling.

I suspect the Government will halt the sale of carbon credits as it becomes a HUGE hurdle for ICE manufactures to overcome in order to be competitive. There will be a rule set that once a company has enough credits for the year, they will earn no more. Manufacturers who don't meet carbon limits will just have to pay the fines instead of buying credits at a discount. Tesla prices will then have to be raised when that revenue stream ends and that will make it easier for others to catch up a bit.
Sponsored

ldjessee

First Name
Lloyd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Leaf, MYLR, Kaw 1700 Vaquero
Occupation
Business Intelligence Manager & Analyst
Country flag
Why would Tesla need to increase their prices?

They were profitable (a tiny amount, sure) without these credits for the first quarter of the year, which had their China factory shut down for several weeks and not going at full speed when it did start again, and at the end of the quarter the factory was closed in California and deliveries were disrupted from the US.

If they can be profitable under those circumstances, not sure why they would need to increase prices.

Look what they did in China when the incentive went away, they managed to lower the price of the car and are still going to have a profit margin on the Model 3.

I can see the US government doing this trying to shelter existing large auto manufacturers about the credits... (I see them lobbying US Congress to do away with credits and penalties all together)

I think the majority of credits are from Europe, and I really do not see them changing that any time soon. They might, but I think if they do it is more likely to be in a year or two.

And buying credits is cheaper than the penalty, so not like the European manufacturers that are buying credits are going to want that to go away, so I do not see them lobbying for this.

LaRue

First Name
LaRue
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2011 GMC 2500
Occupation
Retired / farmer
Country flag
Replacing my 2003 Silverado that has 248k miles on it.
List of issues I've had to deal with owning an ICE truck that I will never have to worry about again....
About 40% of the clear coat has flaked off
2 fuel pumps
Complete rebuild of transmission
4 window actuators
2 alternators
and I need to add 1 quart of oil every 3-4 weeks because it burns oil.
(amazingly NO Flat Tires lol)

I am hoping it lasts another 1.5 years or so until my Cyber Truck is here.
I will replace a 2011 GMC 2500 225,000 miles 4wd. Won't miss gas bill (12 mpg) or rust problems.

JETMECH

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1997 T100 4x4, 2012 Cadillac CTS Wagon, 3.6 AWD, 2018 Rad Mini E-bike
Occupation
Retired, A&P Mechanic/Techincal Conslutan
Country flag
Yes The T100 needs to give up it's space, Think I might miss the manual transmission. At over 200,000 miles, don't want to replace the timing belt or tires again. Nephew has first right of refusal.

CyberCop

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Silverado HD , Cybertruck dual on order
Occupation
Retired LEO ?‍♂??
Country flag
At this point I will keep my 2015 3500HD Silverado diesel and use the CT as a daily driver.
but things could change in the next year or two.

Last edited:

Sanzpeur

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Dual Motor CT, '06 Ford F250 Super Duty, '18 Model 3 Dual Motor, '08 Subaru STI
Occupation
Aerospace Engineer
Country flag
I will be directly replacing my '06 F250. The harder question is can the CT also replace my family's 7 seat Subaru Ascent as the long distance road tripper for a family of 4 +dog, as well as the in and around vehicle when I need to squeeze 6 or 7 adults/kids short distances? I definitely think so on the first part of that question. For the second part, it should comfortably seat 6 for short distances in and around. I think we may just be giving up the ability to get that extra 7th body that we occasionally carry. If so we would get rid of both my truck and my wife's Ascent. I would give her my Model 3 for her longer work commute and I can actually feel ok about using a truck as my daily driver since it isn't a diesel guzzling Super Duty.

ldjessee

First Name
Lloyd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Leaf, MYLR, Kaw 1700 Vaquero
Occupation
Business Intelligence Manager & Analyst
Country flag
I wonder if someone will mount some Tesla seats in the bed of the CyberTruck, ala the Subaru Brat. That would give you an extra spot or two, but maybe not be the best ride or as safe...

Sanzpeur

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Dual Motor CT, '06 Ford F250 Super Duty, '18 Model 3 Dual Motor, '08 Subaru STI
Occupation
Aerospace Engineer
Country flag
I wonder if someone will mount some Tesla seats in the bed of the CyberTruck, ala the Subaru Brat. That would give you an extra spot or two, but maybe not be the best ride or as safe...
I loved the old Brat. I even think the Baja had its own little useful niche. Of course I spent much of my youth in the back of pick ups either going to get ice cream in the back of my Uncles Ram or speeding up fire roads to many a mountain party. I often joke about my parents letting me roll around in the trunk of their Ford Pinto (right above the notorious exploding fuel tank), as well as one particularly long rainy trip from PA to NY in the bed of my Grandfather's Ford Ranchero while his dog enjoyed the comfort of the back seat.

CyberBC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
04 Dodge Ram 3500, 2011 Chevy Volt
Occupation
Farrier
Country flag
Replacing Dodge 3500 dually and Subaru Forester. Will probably need to swap out three gooseneck trailers for bumper pulls. Will have to wait and see how the towing works on the Cybertruck.

justinpratt

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT Tri, Jeep Rubi 392, Tesla Y Performance, BMW M3
Country flag
I’m keeping my Jeep GC SRT. kind of like a Collector. The CT will be my off road and “every other day” daily driver. Likely road trips as well.

ericpdb2

First Name
eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Prius
Occupation
retired
Country flag
My current vehicle is a very slow Prius hybrid. Its predecessor was a relatively quick V6 Tacoma. I have long wanted an EV. CT is the first one that screamed to me 'BUY THIS!'

Gwgans

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Teslas
Country flag
Voted No since I Hope So is not an option. 2010 Tundra kept for essential plowing is marked for sale as soon as Cybertruck can move snow.

ericpdb2

First Name
eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Prius
Occupation
retired
Country flag
The (3 motor) CT will be my first truck since a 1998 Tacoma that was in fine shape when I sold it in 2015. It be my first EV. It will be by far my largest vehicle ever (current is a 2014 Prius). I liked the Tacoma (2WD, V6, 5speed) but the CT really excites me. I always wanted a Delorean but could not afford the required cocaine.

roncruiser

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1994 80 Series Land Cruiser, 2002 100 Series Lexus LX450, 2005 Lexus IS300
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
DEFINITELY not the best ride or as safe.
Sponsored