HaulingAss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 F-150, 2018 Model 3 P, FS DM Cybertruck
Country flag
Why can't you crab walk with RWD only?
Because any truck with a single motor requires a differential on the drive wheels. And that has to be an open differential, a limited slip differential or a full locker. Crab walk would lose control and efficiency (for different reasons) with any of the differential choices. It's not that it couldn't be done, it will just work in a far superior manner with independent control of individual wheels.
Sponsored

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
Elon said initial production would be quad. He previously said they would likely produce tri and dual first given the breakdown of preorders. Sounds like a delay to me.
Previously the top trim might be first and now the top trim will definitely be first is a delay how, tho?

And they're selling that when? Oh, no date on that $40k truck yet, either? And more orders than they can fill in three years of their 'doubled production' roadmap?'

-Crissa

HaulingAss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
It is more like “more”. Elon wants CT to be the best when it comes out. As long as other manufacturers come out with something better, CT will get redesigned and delayed. Rear wheel steering from Hummer, Quad from Rivian, Lucid was just first over 500 miles so getting that in a big truck may take a while, CT is a moving target.
I think it's hilarious that you think the other manufacturers have anything close to the Cybertruck in any of its AWD configurations (whatever they announce here shortly). And that includes the specs of the originally revealed dual and tri motors from 2019.

Have you priced the Rivian in any of the range levels once you outfit it how you want it? OMG! I could understand if it was more durable, had a longer life, better handling and suspension, tougher body and glass, more cargo or towing capability, a more useable truck bed, more efficiency or lower cost to operate, but it has none of those things, its inferior, using less proven technology and yet it costs more! At least it comes with a rechargeable flashlight! I think the gear tunnel is super cool and a great feature but it's not a must-have. I would rather have a full-metal jacket that is lockable and motorized and you can walk on to reach high places without a ladder.

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Tesla Model 3 LR
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
Don't be too surprised if the roadmap announcement gives us the following:

• Single Motor RWD Dual Motor AWD with 250+ miles $39,900
  • Dual Motor AWD with 300+ 500+ miles $49,900
  • Tri Motor Quad Motor AWD with 500+ 600+ miles $69,900
  • Quad Motor AWD with 600+ miles and Baja 1000 ready $89,900
But then, I have more of an optimistic view of things and I trust that Elon is ready to kick some serious ass.
I would like that, and I cannot see Elon increasing the price over Rivian, but we will see...

HaulingAss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Before rushing to judgement let's wait and see what prices are first.
I'm sorry, we can't do that. This is Tesla we are talking about and there is an army of people who have to crucify Tesla publicly, no matter what is announced.

If Tesla announced all Cybertrucks would be sold at cost to speed the transition to sustainable energy, these same people would lambaste the move away from capitalism and into communism. They would also claim it's proof that Tesla has a demand problem.

These people ignore the axiom "Don't bet against Elon Musk" and attempt to put the most negative spin on everything, even if it's good news like the revealing of an even more awesome quad motor variant.

HaulingAss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
The wheels will still roll even if there's no motor.

-Crissa
True, that's why I said it would work. It's just that individual control of every wheel makes it work much better. We live in the age of inexpensive computers, it would be a shame to not be able to take advantage of that when it can add so much.

The timing of these moves are determined as they are costing components out and designing production lines. Tesla constantly strives to do what makes the most sense.

Diehard

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Olds Aurora V8, Saturn Sky redline, Lightning, CT2
Country flag
[
I think it's hilarious that you think the other manufacturers have anything close to the Cybertruck in any of its AWD configurations (whatever they announce here shortly). And that includes the specs of the originally revealed dual and tri motors from 2019.

Have you priced the Rivian in any of the range levels once you outfit it how you want it? OMG! I could understand if it was more durable, had a longer life, better handling and suspension, tougher body and glass, more cargo or towing capability, a more useable truck bed, more efficiency or lower cost to operate, but it has none of those things, its inferior, using less proven technology and yet it costs more! At least it comes with a rechargeable flashlight! I think the gear tunnel is super cool and a great feature but it's not a must-have. I would rather have a full-metal jacket that is lockable and motorized and you can walk on to reach high places without a ladder.
I know you like beating your chest for Tesla and CT but you missed my point. I am not saying CT will not be the best overall truck out there when it comes out. I am saying that goal may be the reason some of us may not be around to enjoy it when it does come out. Rivian has something CT does not have. The ability to be in some owner's driveways.

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Tesla Model 3 LR
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
Yeah… I don’t see this as great news. The tri motor was already more truck than I cared to buy. Seems like we might have to choose whether to spend a bunch more to get the quad or have ship date moved back. Eh. That stings a bit.
Agreed. For me reserving the tri-motor was all about getting reasonable real-world range. The dual had plenty of towing capacity for me. I have no use for a 4th motor or more power/acceleration. Our Model 3 Dual Motor is actually kind of scary fast and the CT3 will have more than a second faster in 0-60. That is an awful lot of acceleration behind that much weight. Tank turn and crab walk? I don't care. I liked the 4-wheel steering because I figured that getting the CT around a parking structure was going to be tough. So, like you say, either I upgrade to this quad-motor thing or wait much longer. I do not see it as good news at all.

FutureBoy

First Name
Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag
Rivian has something CT does not have. The ability to be in some owner's driveways.
So far it is only being produced and seemingly being used for press test drives. We keep seeing trucks carrying Rivians but we are yet to see it in anyone's driveway. I'd hold off a bit on being so sure Rivian has something special here.

And the rumor is that once they do start actually delivering trucks that they will prioritize trucks going to employees or other such vested individuals. So still not to actual customers.

Then maybe someday an actual customer will get an actual delivery of an actual Rivian truck that they can actually tweet/youtube about to the rest of us. Only then will I consider Rivian to have the ability to be in some owner's driveway.

But production is hard. So it's anyone's guess as to when those deliveries will actually start. The earliest projected dates I've heard of so far are at least March of 2022.

HaulingAss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Oh, you are going to be proven so wrong! Tesla is all about bringing superior functionality at the lowest price. 20% price increase an all models! :ROFLMAO:

No one controls costs better than Tesla and with all the Cybertruck buzz coming out of Tesla, I think the announced timeline is going to pleasantly surprise too. Unless you are Ford or Rivian.

As a young man and a car enthusiast, Elon had been disappointed by big auto manufacturers announcing specs for amazing concept cars that had amazing styling and a bunch of cool features and then being crushed with disappointment when the real thing was finally released and it was a hollow shadow of the concept revealed.

Elon never thought that was fair, so he vowed to always release a product at least as good as the one announced, and that applies to the prices as well. He doesn't like disappointments like that and will bust his butt to make sure he's not guilty of such behavior.

Last edited:

Diehard

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Olds Aurora V8, Saturn Sky redline, Lightning, CT2
Country flag
So far it is only being produced and seemingly being used for press test drives. We keep seeing trucks carrying Rivians but we are yet to see it in anyone's driveway. I'd hold off a bit on being so sure Rivian has something special here.

And the rumor is that once they do start actually delivering trucks that they will prioritize trucks going to employees or other such vested individuals. So still not to actual customers.

Then maybe someday an actual customer will get an actual delivery of an actual Rivian truck that they can actually tweet/youtube about to the rest of us. Only then will I consider Rivian to have the ability to be in some owner's driveway.

But production is hard. So it's anyone's guess as to when those deliveries will actually start. The earliest projected dates I've heard of so far are at least March of 2022.
Employees are owners and they do have them in their driveway. The point is the factory is producing them and you don't see CTs being delivered to anyone.

HaulingAss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I just bought a Ram 3500 last January and it was pretty close to that. By the time these come out all big fully loaded trucks will be over 100k
That's because ICE trucks are terrible values. Not only are ICE makers terribly inefficient at bringing us the latest technology, which means it costs them a lot to make things that should be much cheaper, then they add insult to injury by jacking them up with sky-high profit margins. Trucks are their biggest profit centers, even more so than SUV's.
Sponsored