Random Battery News Plus huge IRA tax benefit for 4680 Production

Zabhawkin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1999 Nissan Frontier, 2015 F-150, 1984 Jeep CJ7
Country flag
We've been on the waiting list for Powerwalls before.

I bought an LFP for some limited shifting but the component to make it act as a timed resource is on backorder x-x

I may not have good solar - but the stores in the village do. My neighbor across the street does. That's why I keep lobbying for local coops.

-Crissa
Being part of a local coop I can tell you from experience they are not anywhere near as good as they are made out to be. Most corporate based power companies in my experience are surprisingly better.
Sponsored

firsttruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
none
Country flag
Being part of a local coop I can tell you from experience they are not anywhere near as good as they are made out to be. Most corporate based power companies in my experience are surprisingly better.
Depends on the coop.

The coop below had to even duplicate the local distribution network to each house/business because the corporate based power company refused to sell or share.

Most every corporate based power company got essential billions dollars of free land right of ways given to them by the government & people and most corporate based power companies are even guaranteed profit by government and still these corporate based power companies refuse to share.

--------------------------------

Feldheim village in state Brandenburg: Germany's renewable village.

Feldheim has 47 wind turbines (total capacity of 91 MW, village only uses 1MW the other 90MW exported/sold to other parts of Germany), solar panels and since 2016 a massive batteries that can store enough electricity to power the village for two days.
The roots of Feldheim's energy experiment date back to 1995, when entrepreneur and then-engineering student Michael Raschemann proposed erecting four wind turbines on land owned by the local farming cooperative.
The village's totally private electrical grid was switched on in late 2010 - the point in time from which Feldheim considers itself fully carbon-neutral - and since then, local energy prices have dropped by about a third.
Some experts believe Germany could get 100 percent of its energy from renewable sources by 2050. That might seem like a distant goal - but it's one that's already been achieved in a tiny village in Brandenburg.
Date 2015 May 28
Author Andrew Bowen
https://www.dw.com/en/feldheim-germanys-renewable-village/a-18466800

The Only Grid-Independent Village In The World?
By Zachary Shahan
Published October 2, 2014
https://cleantechnica.com/2014/10/02/grid-independent-village-world-feldheim/

** video
History of the self-sufficient renewable energy village Feldheim, Brandenburg - Germany
The CEO of the company Energiequelle GmbH, Michael Schemann, explains how was created this self-sufficient town in renewable energy in Germany: Feldheim !
Nicolas Plain - Scientific Explorer
Sep 21, 2016

** video
This German village managed to go off grid and become energy self-sufficient | DW News
Residents of Feldheim, a village south of Berlin, have managed to produce their own energy from wind, sun and agricultural waste. They are now paying around a third of what everyone else in Germany pays for power. Their solution has become a role model for communities around the world. Here’s how they achieved the Feldheim Energy Miracle – and what others can learn from their success.
Sep 9, 2022

Frank Morris Hans • 2014
Hans, is it true that EON and other institutions have prohibited other renewably powered micro grids?

Hans Frank Morris • 2014
To say it in facebook terms:it is complicated.
If the municipality owns the grid, European rules say that there has to be an auction for the license to operate the grid. Judges often interpret auction conditions that demand some amount of renewable energy and the employment of local people often as tricks to limit competition. And the auction has to be done again, or the license is directly given to one of the big three. However, judgments vary from case to case and about two-hundred communities were able to take back their distribution grids the last decade. Most famous example is Schonau.

If Eon and Co (a German/international energy corporation) own the grid it is even more complicated.
Furthermore, Eon and Co tend to sabotage the transfer by holding back data on the grid.

Eduardo Ugalde
2022 Sept
This is amazing to watch but more importantly people should be reminded that the world is not undergoing an energy crisis; it is self inflicted rather. We have had the technology for quite some time to simply build the infrastructure, which would generate a lot of high quality jobs, reduce inequality gaps, but most importantly lose fossil fuel reliance. The problem lies in the power held in companies that own the current energy supply infrastructure, on which these companies have a monopoly, and the governments appointed by their donations who act in the interest of those companies.

-----------------------------------

Zabhawkin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
@firsttruck

While that is in a way a coop the CEO is the one who funded it so as far as I can tell it is being operated like a company just a much smaller one. Lots of outside money was brought in.

I do agree not all coops are bad and the one that I live with is particularly bad it is easier for a coop to get in over its head, or fall into the same corruption as a corporation.

OP
OP
Ogre

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
I don’t know if our power company is considered a coop, but it is a small, local utility. There are more than 4 power companies in our county which I believe has fewer than a million people.

Of course they mostly just resell power from Bonneville Power which has a massive dam on the Columbia.

we have great rates and super reliable power.

The thing about small companies/ coops is there are no small problems.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
In California they don't need to displace all the energy production or distribution to be a coop. They're all separate.

My little Motorcycle did qualify us for 'having an EV' so we could get the more extreme time-of-use schedule. Most of our power use is first thing in the morning (for the home office), so it really benefits us.

-Crissa

Zabhawkin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I am looking at running for a spot on the coop, not sure if I will be able to fix anything, the coop has no money and had to file a lengthy law suit to be able to charge the customers for the penalties they racked up for not following the regulations.

On the better news side it looks like the MEGA pack in New Mexico is nearly complete, only a year late due to covid.
Sponsored