Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck Tri-motor
Occupation
Realtor
Country flag
So I’ve mused on this question for a while. Would it be possible for Tesla to produce a longer range variant by making it a 2wd vs AWD set up? Traditional ICE cars are more efficient with fewer driving wheels. I assumed the answer was no, as it seems the size of the battery seems linked with the number of motors in Tesla Vehicles. However, the new Mustang EV offers a long range variant with 10% greater range vs the AWD with the same battery pack... I would LOVE the prospect of a Cybertruck or Model Y RWD Dual Motor “long range” with 400+ miles, or the Tri Motor pack as an option on the mid range trim. Interested to see what y’all think?
Sponsored

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
Yes and no.

EVs don't suffer from the drivetrain losses for having multiple motors. Additional motors are not very heavy, either, and can be selected so they have different sweet spots of energy efficiency.

It is possible to have a more efficient single-motor variant, but you're giving up load, speed, durability, acceleration, and regen when you do so.

Most of the cost is in the battery, and much of the vehicle weight comes from the battery. So it just doesn't make sense to have less capable variants in any particular battery size.

-Crissa