Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Tesla Model 3 LR
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
When I read this news the first thing I thought was ‘I am not sure this is a feature I need’ and the second was ‘how will this affect delivery dates’ and the third was (as @Vrakpant mentioned) ‘so much for “design is complete”’. Having wondered how so many posts could have been made since 9 pm last night, and having now read them all, I am now softenening to the idea, especially if it improves steering without compromising safety. I don’t know - this seems like an awfully complicated feature to add for seemingly little functional value. Is it real? You all are very positive about the news. Maybe we are just starved for any news.
Sponsored

Diehard

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Olds Aurora V8, Saturn Sky redline, Lightning, CT2
Country flag
I can only imagine the field day main stream media will have if they increa the price even 1¢. I would guess the price is firm for no other reason than Tesla is the only automaker that can do it with an EV and still turn a profit at the end of the day.
Recent price increases for Model Y, ridiculous demand and eliminating PR department says Tesla is media proof and keeping the margin higher when they can getaway with it is something they can live with.

Self centering drive by wire ….
A self centered apocalypse machine is like a match made in heaven for me.

Yep but I have a much more elegant version that doesn't go outside of the CT foortprint and tracks in 2D with the same if not better PV areas than that one.
what do you mean by track in 2D? How?

We don't know what he meant by rear wheel steering yet.
CT is one of the few vehicles that if you roll down the vault cover (if the updated one is not transparent), turn the seats 180 and drive backward no one will be more shocked than seeing you drive forward. Think about it, you will never have to back out of a parking spot ever again.

That is not what the meme "Best part is no part" means. If it did you would not have a car at all, use the bus.
It still could hold (Robotaxi)

No, they're not. They're ways to nickel and dime the customer.
‘I think by options he meant having different EV truck options not rear steering option in CT. Of course if CT reaches Hummer prices, that is not an option for me (Well, not an option I will choose).

FullyGrounded

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
blah
Country flag
A great addition, glad Elon saw the value per cost/effort. Functionality like 4 wheel steering are great, computer controlled; I just hope there is a lock-out above a certain mph, set by you, defaulted at a conservative mph. You certainly don't need to accidentally crab crawl suddenly at 130mph ? peace

Dirt Worker

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Corvair Corsa, Mini Cooper, T880 Kenworth, CT
Occupation
Excavation Company
Country flag
I think the main reason for 4 wheel steering is the long wheel base the CT has (esp. With thise 35"). It just won't be very nimble without it. Has to come with a price increase though I think.

I was also very hopeful that they would have it on such a large car, but I thought the price wouldn't allow for it. Will be excellent off road. Should have crab steer n co. Hopefully automatically crabs on highway lane changes too and is speed dependant.
Icksnay on ostcay. They read this crap. Don't give them any ideas.

Musicalworlds

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Tesla Model X Long Range, Tri Motor Cybertruck reserved.
Occupation
Retired from electric utility operations.
Country flag
The vehicle my Tri-motor Cybertruck will replace is a 2005 GMC Yukon XL with Quadrasteer. Her license plate is QUADDIE. Unfortunately, GMC abandoned Quadrasteer and quit making replacement parts by 2010 so most QS vehicles now only operate with two wheel steering or are no longer driven. Thanks GMC. After driving Suburbans for years, I had to adjust my parking technique in Quaddie because I would wind up crooked in the parking slot the opposite way because the turning radius was so short. So, four wheel steering is the main feature I knew I would miss on the CT and now Elon has, once again, read my mind and provided it. I don't know if Tesla's four wheel steering will perform like Quadrasteer, but for those unfamiliar with it, the front and rear wheels turn in opposite directions for tighter turns at speeds up to 45 mph. After 45 mph the wheels turn in the same direction so making lane changes at freeway speeds is much smoother with virtually no longitudinal instability or "whip" which is created by two wheel steering. This is especially useful, comfortable, and safer when towing a trailer since the tow vehicle "crabs" across lane lines rather than changing turn radius to make the maneuver. I flew to Colorado to buy Quaddie just for the Quadrasteer and I will probably fly to Texas to pick up my Cybertruck. Life is good.

Tinker71

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1976 electric conversion bus
Occupation
Project Manager
Country flag
Elon just confirmed the Cybertruck will be almost exactly what was shown. They are adding rear wheel steering, so it can do tight turns and maneuver with high agility.
He added; "lots of other great things coming".

That was a suprise. This will make backing the boat down the ramp a breeze.

Please don't raise the price. Our $100,000,000 worth of reservations probably was enough shell out half the factory. I was just getting used to shelling out $58,000 which is 2x more than I have ever spent on a vehicle.

I can't help but believe we are going to get strung out for a while to keep the hype up and keep people from jumping ship. It probably is setting the stage for delays. (battery related) So it looks pretty much the same. That still leaves me wondering about 100 details.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag

Mini2nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Tacoma TRD Pro
Country flag
You just know that competitive natured EM had to do something when GM made the Hummer CrabWalk announcement last October.

My prediction? Rear wheel steering will come standard on the Tri Motor and be optional on the Dual Motor. Single Motor buyers will be out of luck as Tesla marketing folks won’t make it available to buyers to hopefully move them up to a DM or TM version.

Tesla Cybertruck Rear Wheel Steering FD2FC5F7-77C5-460C-9D84-13F50AA297FA

Last edited:

earthman

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
Elon just confirmed the Cybertruck will be almost exactly what was shown. They are adding rear wheel steering, so it can do tight turns and maneuver with high agility.
He added; "lots of other great things coming".

Full on supreme. Cyber truck is not fucking around. I can’t wait till I get my 30 cybertrucks LOL.