Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150L
Occupation
Fun-employed
Country flag
A few things:

Subject to the below caveat, this CT is sporting the new premium wheelset, which we’ve only seen to date on release candidates built in TX

However, clipped onto the wheel are this set of rings?

These rings seem to be clipped on how the aero hubcaps may clip on, almost as if the hubcap was torn off the mounting rings?

Bizarre

Notice also the side marker light/reflector

Tesla Cybertruck Release Candidate Cybertruck on Trailer - New Premium Wheel Set Photo 7E59E238-73D5-4208-BEA8-232CDEDE0D88

Sponsored

Paradox

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Escalade ESV Platinum, CT TriMotor FSD
Country flag
You can also see the opening for what I’m guessing is the air curtains in this picture, I don’t remember seeing them this clearly in previous pics.

If you look at the sidewall of the tire, you can see the marks left from the aero hubcap not being lined up properly with the tire. @cvalue13 has pointed this out on a few occasions on one of the test vehicles. I wonder if this is that same one? Hopefully proper alignment of the tire on the rim doesn’t become an issue as people need to have tires replaced/removed and remounted for whatever reasons.

Tesla Cybertruck Release Candidate Cybertruck on Trailer - New Premium Wheel Set Photo IMG_4095

NoTime

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
eGolf
Country flag
What I don't see is a large air shock behind the wheel. Makes me wonder if air suspension is standard on all variants.

bdmridgeback

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Chevy Traverse, BDM Ridgeback, Ford Transit Connect
Occupation
Business Owner/Manager
Country flag
What I don't see is a large air shock behind the wheel. Makes me wonder if air suspension is standard on all variants.
I'm thinking that the cost of air struts, tank and controller that Tesla has to make it an option and lower end models won't have air ride on them.

SpaceYooper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
13' F150, 17' Explorer, 13' Cruz, 13' Clubman
Occupation
Retired USSF SNCO, REALTOR®
Country flag
I thought the same thing at first. But the big can you're looking for is still there. It's dark in this photo but you can make out the dark can behind the shiny thing you can see.

BillyGee

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y P, Model 3 LR, Founders CT (Ordered)
Occupation
Technician
Country flag
Looks like a pissed off shark.

I'll take 10.

Gurule92

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MYP
Occupation
"Cyber" stuff
Country flag
Maybe the rings are a solution to let you rotate the aero caps instead of trying to get the tire aligned properly?

JBee

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
. Professional Hobbyist
Country flag
The air struts are still there. They have always been an aluminium tube type, not a rubber air spring. I haven't however seen the actual shock absorber though, and I think it might be inside the air spring assembly like a coil over.

Those rings on the tyre are probably what the hubcap attaches too, so it can rotate to match the tyre pattern. It's pretty certain the hubcaps will need to spin to do this as mounting atyre to match the wheel position will be hard.

I think that reflector was just hiding in the gap where the lights are mounted in. But I think it might be an indicator. You can see it on in the lightbar action video on the other thread.

NoTime

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
eGolf
Country flag
I don't know. To me, it looks totally different from this:

Tesla Cybertruck Release Candidate Cybertruck on Trailer - New Premium Wheel Set Photo 1691589504425

OP
OP
cvalue13

cvalue13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150L
Occupation
Fun-employed
Country flag
being lined up properly with the tire. @cvalue13 has pointed this out on a few occasions on one of the test vehicles. I wonder if this is that same one?
Same issue (good spot!) but prob not the same unit

The Fremont beta has this issue on the rear driver’s side wheel. (And, we’ve not yet seen a Fremont beta in these new premium wheels, only RCs so far.)

Of course, they could have moved wheels/tires around between units.

Still, shows the same concept at play RE the misaligned aero hubcaps.

though, interesting to see here that the wheel’s parallel spoke pattern has been lined up with the tire’s pattern. Perhaps that’s the intended guide when seating the tire to the rim, for the aero hubcaps to line up properly?

These rings etc attached to the wheel here are still an oddity.

I’ll do some sniffing

OP
OP
cvalue13

cvalue13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150L
Occupation
Fun-employed
Country flag
Those rings on the tyre are probably what the hubcap attaches too, so it can rotate to match the tyre pattern. It's pretty certain the hubcaps will need to spin to do this as mounting atyre to match the wheel position will be hard.
they may eventually come out with that

but for now, I can confirm that the tire-wheel matching is the situation

OP
OP
cvalue13

cvalue13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150L
Occupation
Fun-employed
Country flag
you’re right!

the *betas* have the wheel-tire alignment issue

but the production aero covers have this ring setup instead, allowing detachment/reorientation of the aero cover to match the tire pattern

Wiley engineers!
Sponsored