Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Film Production
Country flag
Hi all, I'm still getting a lot of different opinions on this topic (and mostly NOT from people who have reserved or currently own a Cybertruck.) I've heard that the rust issue people mentioned is only surface rust and can easily be wiped away with a cloth soaked in the right solution. Is this true? Because while I don't like the idea of having to remove rust spots from my truck on a regular basis, I LOVE the stainless steel look. Fingerprints and all!

About the wrapping option: Would a wrap completely protect a Cybertruck from getting any surface rust? What's the best kind of wrap in terms of durability? And of course, what happens if the Cybertruck catches a sharp edge an the wrap tears?

Thanks for your help!
Sponsored

HyperReality

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CB650f
Country flag
Wrapping is all about looks, the whole anti fingerprints and other particles sticking can be handled with metal treatment coatings if you really care. But there's already vids of buffing it to look brand new after a lot of driving.

I think a dirty CT looks better stock stainless. So if you're already a person that knows you aren't going to obsessive compulsively clean it then doing nothing is the way to go.

Otherwise anyone wrapping it is probably already going to clean it like crazy anyway. Dirty black CT looks worse than stock. What color you pick can really hit a bad contrast with dirt, and matte seems to always look worse when dirty to my eyes. Another reason why that stock looks seems to have a good balance of shiny. It's obviously not mirror or chrome, but does have a shine to it and the grey in-between color makes most dirt never have high contrast with it.

I think you can tell I like it stock... But you could also probably wrap it with tones that have similar benefits to the stock look.

Mini2nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
Country flag
I love the vibe of the ss finish. It's one of my favorite features of the Cybertruck. It reminds me of the Space X Starship rocket.

I personally don’t understand why owners wrap the SS clad Cybertruck with a paper thin vinyl wrap. A vinyl wrap is basically a decal. But I understand it’s an individual decision and to each his own.

The nearly flat front valance is going to take a beating from road debris over the years and the wrap will begin to show tears and rips. it’s inevitable with every vinyl wrap.

Owners also need to watch out for peeling edges on every panel of the truck.

The #1 reason why I reserved a CT is because of the super durable and ultra hard stainless steel exterior. Goodbye door dings, paint chips, fading clear coat, waxing, etc.

Last edited:

CyberTruckeeTheOne

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4runner
Occupation
Retired Operating Plans & Forecasting Manager
Country flag
I like the stainless, but get annoyed by the finger prints.

I put wrap on areas susceptible to fingerprints.

And yes, from my son-in-law's Plaid and my daughter's X, it can get ripped and would like dings.

Derektsla

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model X
Country flag
I like the stainless, but get annoyed by the finger prints.

I put wrap on areas susceptible to fingerprints.

And yes, from my son-in-law's Plaid and my daughter's X, it can get ripped and would like dings.

I had a company apply protecta clear today for me while doing a tint and ceramic coatings on glass and plastic. I’ll post soon on how it went. Reviews seem decent. Way cheaper than a wrap, original look and supposedly much less fingerprints.

Celiboy

First Name
Marcel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Model 3, 2022 Model Y, 2024 AWD Cybertruck
Occupation
Family Nurse Practitioner, Psychiatric Mental Health Nurse Practitioner
Country flag
I’m one of those guys who loves detailing my vehicles and my CT is no exception. I’m waiting for my PPF color choice to get shipped to my tint shop (it was on back order) but while I wait I’ve been cleaning it pretty regularly. The stainless does hold up pretty well and hides dust and dirt well. I haven’t gone all in with the BKF and windex regimen because it’s gonna get wrapped. I do use a ph neutral car wash soap and it does a good job.

The contrast with dirt and anything that’s dark (tinted windows) stands out. Fingerprints aren’t so much an issue as I have my wife and son grab the plastic along the top edge of the door to open and close them. I’ve been lucky that I haven’t gotten many random people just touching it. Just a lot of pictures. The leading edge of the truck does pick up its fair share of bugs so that’s something else to get a regular process of cleaning if it’s important to you.

With all that said, in my experience, people are fascinated with the truck and it gets 👀 and pictures taken of it no matter if it’s wrapped or not or clean or dirty. You have to do whatever feels right to you because ultimately, how you feel about your truck is all that matters.

Celiboy

First Name
Marcel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Model 3, 2022 Model Y, 2024 AWD Cybertruck
Occupation
Family Nurse Practitioner, Psychiatric Mental Health Nurse Practitioner
Country flag
Hi all, I'm still getting a lot of different opinions on this topic (and mostly NOT from people who have reserved or currently own a Cybertruck.) I've heard that the rust issue people mentioned is only surface rust and can easily be wiped away with a cloth soaked in the right solution. Is this true? Because while I don't like the idea of having to remove rust spots from my truck on a regular basis, I LOVE the stainless steel look. Fingerprints and all!

About the wrapping option: Would a wrap completely protect a Cybertruck from getting any surface rust? What's the best kind of wrap in terms of durability? And of course, what happens if the Cybertruck catches a sharp edge an the wrap tears?

Thanks for your help!
I’ll be getting mine wrapped later this month with Pure PPF. The only reason, in my opinion, anyone should consider wrapping is for a color change. Owners are getting wraps for a lot of different reasons, all of which are valid. Some are choosing not to for a a lot of valid reasons. I haven’t noticed any rust on my truck in the month I’ve had it and I clean it pretty regularly. If it was there, I would have noticed. My personal opinion is the rust issue was overblown. Even if you live in an area where airborne particles of iron are an issue, it’s far cheaper to get a good cleaning regimen to take care of the few areas you may find it than spending $5000-$7000 on a wrap to prevent it. If you love the look of the stainless, there’s your answer right there. 🙂

BlueLightning

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford F150 ⚡
Country flag
BLUF: Get it wrapped! LOL

Wrapping is an investment. Once yo start if you have OCD you would have to get it done regularly again if it starts to show wear.

But if you don’t wrap you risk 8-10 years of elements as I would never spend hours each week cleaning and polishing the SS.

IMG_5920.jpeg

IMG_5919.jpeg

IMG_5918.jpeg

countryboy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla M3 | Cybertruck FS AWD
Country flag
Exactly, those photos are completely irrelevant. HFS will not wear like that. I do like some of the wrap colors, but that defeats the whole purpose, being impervious to parking lot dings and tree branches etc. I was worried about my OCD though, bought the BKF+ProtectaClear but somehow the slight discolorations and imperfections I discovered while washing don't bother me at all. In fact the HFS has a certain luster paint or wrap cannot emulate, and I find myself just stopping to stare while the water beads off. It has character. It's what a spaceship that just travelled from another galaxy should look like. Nice to know I can make it perfect if I want to, and it won't require the constant care some people seem to think it will, but for now it's good the way it is.

m_jorge

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Pre-ordered Cybertruck 3-motor
Occupation
Research
Country flag
I'm kind of curious about how much added weight a wrap adds to the vehicle, and whether the added weight would have a negative impact on range?

tumblr_olq4n9pZ5X1ririjeo1_500-1465881924.jpg

dandor

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3, Model Y, and Cybertruck
Country flag
I'm kind of curious about how much added weight a wrap adds to the vehicle, and whether the added weight would have a negative impact on range?
10 lbs at most with PPF. A toolbox would impact range more.

I am most likely getting mine wrapped Obsidian Red. It is a common PPF color and we decided on it about 2 months ago. Saw a few getting wrapped this color recently.

Stuck4ger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota FJ / Model Y
Occupation
Test Pilot
Country flag
Unlike protecting a painted Tesla, you can always choose to wrap a CT later. It’s interesting that the majority of them shown on CTOC are wrapped while the handful that I’ve seen in the wild have all been bare. Perhaps this forum doesn’t represent the true demographic of the average owner.

Woodrick

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3, Model Y, Cybertruck AWD
Occupation
Consultant
Country flag

Thanks for your help!
If you are worried about rust, the last thing that I would suggest is covering it up. (Cybertruck stainless steel aside) Covered up rust may spread without notice.

But since rust isn't really a long-term problem, cleaning and managing it is the best solution. The rust that is the big issue is from iron particulates picked up during the rail transport process. Cleaning an removing is the correct solution.

If you like the stainless steel look, keep it as is or wrap with a clear material.

Whether to wrap or not is a big topic on Tesla boards (as well as other vehicles). The VAST MAJORITY of Teslas are NOT wrapped.

And 6 years after trying to decided if I should wrap my Model 3, it looks as good now as it did on arrival. No regrets not wrappin.
Sponsored