Rivian Rollover

DMC-81

First Name
Dana
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Transformers Camaro SS, 1985 Corvette Z51, Dodge Magnum R/T, 1981 DeLorean, CT reservation
Country flag
There's definitely more to this story than the driver/ owner stated. Trucks just don't do a 270 degree roll on flat ground without "persuasion".

Diehard

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Olds Aurora V8, Saturn Sky redline, Lightning, CT2
Country flag
It’s funny because many consider the Cybertruck to be the perfect truck for doing stupid stuff.

It was the thing Munro thought Cybertruck will do much better than the F150 or the Rivian.
I bet CT will have stupid-o-meter for Tesla insurance.

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Tesla Model 3 LR
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
Exactly. One of the reasons I got off the Rivian bandwagon was that, the thing is made for doing stupid stuff and I just can’t see myself paying that much money for something and trashing it. Even if I walk away from the accident, I am not sure if I can recover from messing up my brand new toy emotionally.

Even switching from my rusted 20 year old truck to a base F150 at half the price of Rivian is tough for me. The piece of mind that comes with driving something crappy is priceless. Everyone else on the road is more afraid of me than I am afraid of them. I can park in the tightest spot in the parking lot right in front. I was hit in the back while driving that truck by a seemingly penniless student once and had no problem let him go. Even if I had unlimited disposable income, I would have problem doing some of the stuff these people do with their rides.

There are so many ways to get your adrenaline fix. I don’t know why people need to pick the most costly and least efficient.
Wow. Merry Christmas and what do you really think :?)

JBee

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
. Professional Hobbyist
Country flag
I sideways slide into a bump on a field will do it. You just have to go from little sideways traction to a lot, suddenly.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
I sideways slide into a bump on a field will do it. You just have to go from little sideways traction to a lot, suddenly.
Yeah, motorcycles do this without bumps, just from the snap of tires on pavement. It's what causes high-sides. One badly placed rock or stump or root cluster or gopher hole and it's all over, even for a big truck. The change in angle of a surface discontinuation of less than half an inch change the grip of the tires massively.

-Crissa

OP
OP
Ogre

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Vehicles are safest when motion is in the wheel forward direction.

It is pretty fun going sideways, but… that’s an expensive oops.

FutureBoy

First Name
Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag
Even if I walk away from the accident, I am not sure if I can recover from messing up my brand new toy emotionally.
I'm guessing you meant to say that your emotions might not recover. The way you structured that sentence, I'm wondering what kind of toy you have that is emotionally impacted by your accident. LOL.

I happen to be reading Douglas Adams books to my kid at the moment and all the emotionally endowed doors, elevators, robots, etc are providing plenty examples of how you might actually be messing with the emotions of your toy.

Once the singularity arrives, I wonder if it will have emotional capability and express its own emotions to us. I'd hate to go get in the car in the morning and have to listen to it complain about all the bad weather it had to sit in all night while I was warm and cozy at home. Or how lonely it was over the few days I was off on a business trip.

OP
OP
Ogre

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
(In robot Voice)

TSLA… don‘t talk to me about TSLA.

(The 0.01% of people who are both familiar with HHGTTG and Tesla investing at the moment will get this)

JudgeMetal

First Name
Edward
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep gladiator
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I would think they would be fairly good about rollover since they have battery packs low to the ground. I guess 16” of clearance is a bit too much. Hopefully Cybertruck is a lot better here.

Once things go south, being unbuckled could lead to accelerating the problem fast.
Not wearing a seatbelt is foolish.

Diehard

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Olds Aurora V8, Saturn Sky redline, Lightning, CT2
Country flag
Once the singularity arrives, I wonder if it will have emotional capability and express its own emotions to us. I'd hate to go get in the car in the morning and have to listen to it complain about all the bad weather it had to sit in all night while I was warm and cozy at home. Or how lonely it was over the few days I was off on a business trip.
I know exactly what that R1T is thinking looking at the dude like this:

“ When you told me let’s go out for a good time, you didn’t tell me I will have to roll over and play dead at the end. When you were inside me on that wild ride, you didn’t tell me you will think of me as damaged goods afterward. Now you dare to point the phone at me in this condition and use what is left of me as entertainment for strangers on the web? I will rise again. I will hold your life in my CPU again and I know all your secrets. You will pay one way or another.

Tesla Cybertruck Rivian Rollover 1671750615499

HaulingAss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 F-150, 2018 Model 3 P, FS DM Cybertruck
Country flag
Idc who you are.. vehicles don't just randomly decide to roll over..

I will chalk this one down as user error.
Yes, and a good reminder to only use as much suspension height as needed for the situation. I've seen lifted trucks roll over very easily while stock trucks do the same kind of obstacles like it was child's play.
Sponsored