Status
Not open for further replies.

PK3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
M3
Country flag
The price will be based on demand. The original target price was based on competing ICE trucks price, now with the inflation it likely will still be competing with similar trucks, so if ICE trucks went up 20% so will the new cybertrucks. Tesla has huge pricing power, initially it might be higher to address demand like they are doing with current 3/Y as they can't keep up, so raising prices to curb demand with the excuse of supply chains (I am sure they are having increased costs but prices are going up far more than the costs).

If Ford/GM get there crap together and have a good F-150/Silverado available at a reasonable price when Cybertruck production starts it will reduce overall demand and therefore could hold Tesla from artificially increases prices to curb demand (will still have inflation based price increases). I don't currently see Rivian as having an effect, they are too expensive and production is too low to really have an effect even in the next 2 years. After that they might start having a bit more pricing power and production but they won't scale as fast as Ford/GM.
Sponsored

Dusty

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Model Y Performance
Occupation
Creator
Country flag
Aaaaand, they got me. Just got an email and I can't check my order online. The Rivian forum has exploded with almost 45 pages of hot fire in response. LoL!!!

To paraphrase a comment... I wonder how many people got home and hadn't checked their email. They had a little dinner, opened up the forum to chit chat about Rivian. . . .

Tesla Cybertruck Rivian Price Bump fire-pizza

Tesla Cybertruck Rivian Price Bump noooocommunity-gif-fire-22

Bright side... There are people who didn't make the 2018 (possibly early 2019) grandfather'd-in group, but are very low in the order que, looking to sell their order. Sooo...

Last edited:

Revelation

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3, Res: Rivian R1T, Res: Tesla Cybertruck Tri-Motor + FSD
Occupation
IT Solutions Architect
Country flag
Bright side... There are people who didn't make the 2018 (possibly early 2019) grandfather'd-in group, but are very low in the order que, looking to sell their order. Sooo...
This has no effect. If you weren't in the final stages of taking delivery, you will be hit with the price increase.

Dusty

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Model Y Performance
Occupation
Creator
Country flag
This has no effect. If you weren't in the final stages of taking delivery, you will be hit with the price increase.
You misunderstand. You'd be paying the new price but possibly getting a R1S in the next 12 months depending on how low the seller's que number is. It looks like If you're not in the upcoming delivery queue and your Rivian rep hasn't reached out to tell you you're safe you're getting the price hiked.

So people who are relatively close to finalizing in the "relatively" near future (later on this year) don't want to cross the point of no return on their deposit with a vehicle that costs 25% more than what they originally planned.

I can see my account now...

Tesla Cybertruck Rivian Price Bump price-is-wron

Last edited:

Revelation

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3, Res: Rivian R1T, Res: Tesla Cybertruck Tri-Motor + FSD
Occupation
IT Solutions Architect
Country flag
You misunderstand. You'd be paying the new price but possibly getting a R1S in the next 12 months depending on how low the seller's que number is. It looks like If you're not in the upcoming delivery queue and your Rivian rep hasn't reached out to tell you you're safe you're getting the price hiked.

So people who are relatively close to finalizing in the" relatively" near future (later on this year) don't want to cross the point of no return on their deposit with a vehicle that costs 25% more than what they originally planned.
No, I understand perfectly. There is no grand-fathered group. Either you have entered the final stages of purchase or you haven't. If you have not, you are getting hit by the price increase. There are plenty of people who pre-ordered in 2018 that are not grand-fathered into the original price.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
You're dreaming. Remember...
...Tesla has never increased pricing on existing reservations before.
...There are a million reservations in the queue, so the price on the website would be what they plan to sell them for five years or more from now.
...That Tesla pre-orders its raw materials years in advance to secure pricing.
...That the body and battery pack of the Cybertruck is designed to be the least expensive to produce. No paint, folded instead of stamped, 4680s, lowered cobalt content, dry cathode, structural battery...

If the price goes up, it'll be on trucks in the far future. Tesla will figure it out.

-Crissa

Dusty

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Model Y Performance
Occupation
Creator
Country flag
No, I understand perfectly. There is no grand-fathered group. Either you have entered the final stages of purchase or you haven't. If you have not, you are getting hit by the price increase. There are plenty of people who pre-ordered in 2018 that are not grand-fathered into the original price.
OK . . . fine call it what you want. There are people in the "final stages of the transaction", as Rivian calls it. Exactly what that means, we'll find out. But, if you want a truck soon there are people with early order numbers looking to sell their slot because of the price jump. That's my point.

In the end it doesn't matter to Rivian. They're building them so slow the demand is still outpacing their production.

happy intruder

First Name
O. K.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3 Jun 2019..... Model S Jan 2020
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Rivian’s management has screwed buyers and investors over again… I wish I could say I was surprised. After the shenanigans around the IPO this surprises me none.

Sorry guys. This really sucks.
yea....my Aptera looks better and better.............I am about to give up on the CT....we all hear and talk about when we will see it,.....but what get me is I dont hear too much about delivery of the Giga Press .......that to me is the long pole in the tent

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
yea....my Aptera looks better and better.............I am about to give up on the CT....we all hear and talk about when we will see it,.....but what get me is I dont hear too much about delivery of the Giga Press .......that to me is the long pole in the tent
3 years is a long time to wait.

TomGriff

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
15 MS 70D, 17 Bolt Premier, CT Reserved, Yamaha T7
Country flag
I had a Rivian Reservation, went from 80K to 93K. I'll hold on to it and see where things are when my reservation comes up. I'm not really sure I want to spend $93K on any vehicle, I'm too frugal (or cheap as the case maybe). I have followed the Rivian forums and they lost a lot of people with this increase. If I was an early Rivian reservation holder, I would probably drop it. Rivian had to have known this was coming and timed it just as vehicles were starting to be delivered. Maybe this will be forgotten in time as new people are attracted to what seems to be a good, although niche, product but they have certainly culled their reservation queue. There were quite a few screenshots of cancellations - people are really cancelling, not just talking about it.

It will be interesting to see if CT sells at the prices on our reservation or not. A price increase will not surprise me, kind of a question of how much.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
I had a Rivian Reservation, went from 80K to 93K. I'll hold on to it and see where things are when my reservation comes up. I'm not really sure I want to spend $93K on any vehicle, I'm too frugal (or cheap as the case maybe). I have followed the Rivian forums and they lost a lot of people with this increase. If I was an early Rivian reservation holder, I would probably drop it. Rivian had to have known this was coming and timed it just as vehicles were starting to be delivered. Maybe this will be forgotten in time as new people are attracted to what seems to be a good, although niche, product but they have certainly culled their reservation queue. There were quite a few screenshots of cancellations - people are really cancelling, not just talking about it.

It will be interesting to see if CT sells at the prices on our reservation or not. A price increase will not surprise me, kind of a question of how much.
Just the other day Rivian’s CEO was suggesting they were shooting for 10% of the auto market.

Going to be tough with these prices.

charliemagpie

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CybrBEAST
Occupation
retired
Country flag
I somehow get the feeling, the CT delay, the lack of info, just serves to give the competition enough rope to hang themselves.

Rivian invests in, and plans for 150,000+ volume by end of 2023, only to see its orders drying up.

Ford, GM... everyone .... tools up, only to find they have wasted years and have to re-do it all. If they can... their cashflow will be guillotined.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
I somehow get the feeling, the CT delay, the lack of info, just serves to give the competition enough rope to hang themselves.

Rivian invests in, and plans for 150,000+ volume by end of 2023, only to see its orders drying up.

Ford, GM... everyone .... tools up, only to find they have wasted years and have to re-do it all. If they can... their cashflow will be guillotined.
Rivian is not going to be producing 150,000 cars/ year any time soon.

Farley is the only one who seems to get it. All this talk about spinning off an EV side company I think is his golden parachute. Whether it succeeds or not, he’ll get a chunk of the IPO and cash in.

Dusty

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Model Y Performance
Occupation
Creator
Country flag
No doubt, Ford is going to light a big part of their ICE division on fire and push it out to sea. There was a podcast a year or two ago that looked at Ford's debt and over valued legacy infrastructure, which makes up a chunk of their portfolio. They calculated 2024-2025 as the time when they would be to the point of being unable to hide their fate.

They're going to set up a firewall and let that stuff go.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.