Rumor: Homelink to be activated in future OTA software update (found on Facebook post)

illadave

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y
Country flag
Scrolling through CT owners board on Facebook. One post says their Tesla rep confirmed that Homelink is already installed in CTs and will be activated on a future software update. This sounds too good to be true but crossing my fingers this is the case. I’d rather NOT use MyQ especially since they charge a subscription. I know there are other ways to open the garage (manually or automated) but I very much prefer Homelink.

Posting screenshots taken from the Facebook post (with names/pictures blocked since it's not my post).

Tesla Cybertruck Rumor: Homelink to be activated in future OTA software update (found on Facebook post) Screenshot 2024-03-09 at 1.05.37 PM

Tesla Cybertruck Rumor: Homelink to be activated in future OTA software update (found on Facebook post) Screenshot 2024-03-09 at 1.07.19 PM

Has anyone else been able to confirm with their service rep that Homelink will be available?
Sponsored

cal

First Name
cal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla plaid, 2012 Tundra
Occupation
retired
Country flag
Well it took Tesla more than a year to get the rain sensing wipers to work on our 2017 MS. Elon in his infinite wisdom decided to use cameras instead of traditional wiper sensors. Took longer to get to work than he thought. Eventually fixed with OTA update.

So it will happen just probably take a while

Broski

First Name
Broski
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
Country flag
Well it took Tesla more than a year to get the rain sensing wipers to work on our 2017 MS. Elon in his infinite wisdom decided to use cameras instead of traditional wiper sensors. Took longer to get to work than he thought. Eventually fixed with OTA update.

Uhh… wipers are fixed? Maybe I’m not fortunate as my 2018 model three wipers still suck (auto sensing)

And why is Homelink not working out of the gate? Isn’t just about any vehicle now being shipped in the last few years have that a standard?

Sorry to be negative but frustrating to wait so long and have a vehicle come out with so many features awaiting a software update

cal

First Name
cal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla plaid, 2012 Tundra
Occupation
retired
Country flag
Yea I feel your pain. That's why I referenced my experience. Not sure about your M3 but my MS wipers had no rain sensing at all when delivered.

It will come for CT's just going to take a little while.

Probably in about two weeks! :ROFLMAO:

HaulingAss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 F-150, 2018 Model 3 P, FS DM Cybertruck
Country flag

Elon is smart, but I wouldn't call it "infinite wisdom" even if he understands better than most that price matters. People are getting priced out of the new vehicle market, especially pure electric vehicles. It easy to say another $30 for a dedicated rain sensor is worth it, but it all adds up and, before you know it, another million buyers are priced out of the market.

Elon is focussed like a laser on making the best cars the most affordable cars. Watch how it all plays out before second guessing Elon's vision for the future of automotive. I mean, Tesla already has the best selling car in the world in the most recent year, the Model Y, and it's not even a gas car! That's what watching cost like a hawk can do for sales. And the Model Y doesn't have a dedicated rain sensor that customers have to pay for, every Model Y buyer gets that feature.

No other company can claim the best-selling car in the world. So I find criticisms of Elon's wisdom to be suspect.

Bartman

First Name
Bart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3, Model Y
Country flag
Scrolling through CT owners board on Facebook. One post says their Tesla rep confirmed that Homelink is already installed in CTs and will be activated on a future software update. This sounds too good to be true but crossing my fingers this is the case. I’d rather NOT use MyQ especially since they charge a subscription. I know there are other ways to open the garage (manually or automated) but I very much prefer Homelink.

Posting screenshots taken from the Facebook post (with names/pictures blocked since it's not my post).

Screenshot 2024-03-09 at 1.05.37 PM.png

Screenshot 2024-03-09 at 1.07.19 PM.png

Has anyone else been able to confirm with their service rep that Homelink will be available?
I wonder why they are including and putting the hardware in the Cybertruck, but for the MY you have to purchase the hardware separately and have it installed? Seems strange.

Glenn

First Name
Glenn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ram, Cyber T, S , Infinty, Buick, sligshot, Goldwi
Occupation
Diamond coated surgical burrs
Country flag

I also have a 2017 MS, the rain sensing is not very good, I find myself needing to hit the wipe button or go blind, then there are times it wipes and its a sunny day.

cal

First Name
cal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla plaid, 2012 Tundra
Occupation
retired
Country flag
Yea it was never a really good decision. But most seem ok with it now.

Fleetwood75

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Tesla Model X, 2017 GMC Yukon
Occupation
Structural Engineer
Country flag
I wonder why they are including and putting the hardware in the Cybertruck, but for the MY you have to purchase the hardware separately and have it installed? Seems strange.
Different price points. I sure hope they aren’t skimping on hardware on a $99,990 truck!

HaulingAss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 F-150, 2018 Model 3 P, FS DM Cybertruck
Country flag
Homelink came for free on early Model 3s too. All three of our Model 3s have Homelink. As volume of production builds over the years, Tesla prefers to push prices lower by eliminating hardware that is used by a minority of customers so they can sell the vehicle economically and in ever higher volumes.

Tesla has the data on what percentage of their customers use any given feature. Early buyers probably use HomeLink at a higher rate than later buyers at lower price points. Tesla eliminated the passenger adjustable lumbar support on the Model 3 after finding out that it went unused by a large majority of their customers.

Features that are used by a high percentage of owners are always included in the base models, with the obvious exception of things like FSD. Their thinking is the car should come fully loaded with the things most people want and will actually use, as long as those things don't push up the cost to produce too much. Most other brands you have to pay thousands extra to get all the stuff most people would want if they didn't have to pay thousands of extra for them.

Tanquen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Country flag
I really hope they have some way of adding it but I don't know why they wouldn't have mentioned it.
On my Model S, I really liked using it with the geofencing and also ride height. It doesn't look like there's any way to set the Cybertruck to automatically lower when I get home. It can when I'm parked but I'd rather it just start lowering when I get to the house.
Sponsored