Homelink in Foundation Series

scottf200

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model X
Country flag
Unclear why you are saying all. I think it depends on your garage door opener. Below is from my post above.

2) I found a MyQ compatibility table that seemed pretty extensive.
MyQ compatibility page with dropdown boxes:​

We are building a house in 2-3 year AND I'm really trying to figure out which wall mounted garage door openers to use. Our '17 X uses homelink currently and works pretty well except for the issues that @MilliVanilli pointed out.

I was planning on having both the X and CT on the same double garage door so now I have no idea what to do or which garage door opener to get. 1st world problems I know. Just confusing.
Sponsored

Gurule92

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MYP
Occupation
"Cyber" stuff
Country flag
Unclear why you are saying all. I think it depends on your garage door opener. Below is from my post above.

We are building a house in 2-3 year AND I'm really trying to figure out which wall mounted garage door openers to use. Our '17 X uses homelink currently and works pretty well except for the issues that @MilliVanilli pointed out.

I was planning on having both the X and CT on the same double garage door so now I have no idea what to do or which garage door opener to get. 1st world problems I know. Just confusing.
lol yea, i meant if you dont have a smart garage. If you have a compatible garage, that doesn't have myQ already, you have to get the thing i listed for it to control the garage. Your list likely provides which garages are compatible with the thing i linked

Gurule92

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MYP
Occupation
"Cyber" stuff
Country flag
With my wifey's new Y we made the switch from Homelink to MyQ.

I'm a software engineer and cringe at having everything "internet connected" but gotta say the MyQ seems to work better than Homelink.

The MyQ hardware for 2 garage doors was around $50 and the subscription for 10 years is the same as buying the Homelink upgrade for 1 car.
I did the trial and I will say it's pretty nice.

But.

I'm not going to pay the subscription fee. I'll just hit the button lol

Looks like they give you the hardware free though if you dont have a smart garage already
Tesla Cybertruck Homelink in Foundation Series 1704222200132

Tesla Cybertruck Homelink in Foundation Series 1704222220438

https://www.myq.com/auto/tesla

Back in the day, google assisant could actually control it for you and we had tasker plugins that you could geofence yourself.

but all thats gone now I believe

Dazureus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Model Y, '24 Cyberbeast
Occupation
Software Engineer - Steering Systems
Country flag

We have 3 garage doors and installed Liftmaster 8500s on them (5 years ago). They use MyQ it works well with the MyQ app and Control4 home automation. The only thing that rubs me wrong about it is that I also use HomeAssistant to conglomerate my Control4 and various other smart plugs. MyQ used to work fine with the MyQ HomeAssistant integration, but recently closed their API. Whatever, it's their product and they obviously want/need to make money off it, but moving to a subscription service to do it is annoying. MyQ doesn't operate locally so if your internet goes down, you can't use it.

We got the homelink installed in our newer Model Y, so I want to know how the Tesla MyQ integration works with multiple doors and like someone else said, does it beep and take a long time to close the door like it does when you use the phone app?

Gurule92

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MYP
Occupation
"Cyber" stuff
Country flag
We have 3 garage doors and installed Liftmaster 8500s on them (5 years ago). They use MyQ it works well with the MyQ app and Control4 home automation. The only thing that rubs me wrong about it is that I also use HomeAssistant to conglomerate my Control4 and various other smart plugs. MyQ used to work fine with the MyQ HomeAssistant integration, but recently closed their API. Whatever, it's their product and they obviously want/need to make money off it, but moving to a subscription service to do it is annoying. MyQ doesn't operate locally so if your internet goes down, you can't use it.

We got the homelink installed in our newer Model Y, so I want to know how the Tesla MyQ integration works with multiple doors and like someone else said, does it beep and take a long time to close the door like it does when you use the phone app?
no it just closes when done from the car.

also multi garage
Tesla Cybertruck Homelink in Foundation Series 1704222647265

hridge2020

First Name
Henry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla
Occupation
Aircraft Fixed/Rotary - Rocket/Missile/Spacecraft/Air Defense Scientist
Country flag
I see no mention of it on the order page. Probably just have myQ

Standard homelinks from Model 3/Y won't work in Cybertruck probably.
(Because of 48 Volt system - so I saw no listing of it in the parts list so far, has anyone yet?)

HitchHiker71

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 RAM 1500 Limited Tungsten Edition
Occupation
IT Director
Country flag
I don't call "no driver's display" being cheaper, it's better.
I can never see the speedometer in other vehicles dash, because the steering wheel is in the way for me. I've got a GPS that I dash mounted in many cars and rentals, just so I could see the speed.
I have NEVER missed the driver's display in my 3 or my Y.

But I also hope for Homelink, it's awesome.
I'd like to have a HUD be an option personally, for the 3/Y/CT. It'd be nice for Tesla to offer this as a delivery center installed accessory. That way the speed is projected right into your field of vision - and doesn't require looking anywhere else other than where you're already looking ahead via the windshield. Perhaps there'd be a few other options that you could choose to project via the HUD - i.e. it would be configurable to a limited extent.

cyberSD619

First Name
KC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model x and model y
Country flag
Just got a new garage door motor as I was due for one. Luckily I got a chamberlain with myQ.

BayouCityBob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Model 3
Country flag
Unfortunately, myQ does not work with most outdoor gates and especially community gates. So it is a non-starter for me. Need basic homelink that works fine with everything and no additional hardware at home or subscription nonsense.

Gurule92

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MYP
Occupation
"Cyber" stuff
Country flag
Unfortunately, myQ does not work with most outdoor gates and especially community gates. So it is a non-starter for me. Need basic homelink that works fine with everything and no additional hardware at home or subscription nonsense.
Looks like youll join me in the good ole fashioned push the button team

BayouCityBob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Model 3
Country flag
Looks like youll join me in the good ole fashioned push the button team
Uh no I am not carrying around a couple of old fashioned remote controls because Tesla cannot offer basic features, but there is no way that would be that foolish in on a $100k vehicle.

Would love to see some actual information. Hopefully the owners manual gets posted soon.

Gurule92

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MYP
Occupation
"Cyber" stuff
Country flag
Uh no I am not carrying around a couple of old fashioned remote controls because Tesla cannot offer basic features, but there is no way that would be that foolish in on a $100k vehicle.

Would love to see some actual information. Hopefully the owners manual gets posted soon.
It's like a dealbreaker for you?
I mean, it's possible that they changed the name, or didn't list it in the parts catalog. But it's not looking super good for the homelink.

BayouCityBob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Model 3
Country flag
It's like a dealbreaker for you?
I mean, it's possible that they changed the name, or didn't list it in the parts catalog. But it's not looking super good for the homelink.
Would be the straw that breaks the camel's back, yes. Would be just one too many compromises on an exceptionally expensive vehicle. A Rivian 410 mile Max Pack for $10k less starts to look a whole lot more compelling (and has effing homelink).

scottf200

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model X
Country flag

Thank you for the response. At first I thought you were talking about Google Assistant but then I saw HomeAssistent [URL] is a DIY/open_source setup.

So in general all garage door openers work with HomeLink and many now-a-days have MyQ integration. Is there only a MyQ subscription or does Liftmaster also have a subscription. Getting hard for me to tell if they are one??? So annoying.

Is saw this from a google search (LLM-Generative AI is experimental.):
A monthly subscription fee of $1 or an annual subscription fee of $10 is required to link a myQ account to Google Assistant and/or IFTTT for the Liftmaster 8500.​
Wonder if it'd be worth $2 (12-10) to use a CC monthly $1 fee and have them get charge $0.50 (minimum) and 'stick-it-to-the-man' LOL.

Re: MyQ doesn't operate locally so if your internet goes down, you can't use it.
Meaning you have to manually press a keypad on the outside of your garage
OR you a button on the inside of your garage (ie. go in a human door to get there)???

Seems all IoT devices talk to the 'cloud' so you can operate them outside your house.
Aside: many IoT devices seem to have a wifi-service built into them so your phone can wifi connect directly to them during setup tho.
Aside2: Seemed my Roomba setup started off with direct-connect WiFi but then switched to Bluetooth (link confirming).
Sponsored