TheLastStarfighter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Dodge Challenger, Tesla Model 3
Occupation
Industrial Engineer
Country flag
Well, it was reported here, but from a source in Canada, that got it from a source in Germany that, when I tried to get more information, wanted to much from me so I baled:

https://driveteslacanada.ca/news/tesla-orders-cybertruck-drive-unit-production-equipment-report/
lol. Yeah the equipment needs to be able to produce units by summer, which is the same as every other timeline for the CT. Things seem to be going well. My own biggest question is if batteries will be up to speed. If they are, I think someone on this forum is driving a Cybertruck before July.

greggertruck

First Name
g
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.twitter.com
Vehicles
Dual-CT
Occupation
I post Cybertruck stuff on the Internet and people like it.
Country flag
They said in no uncertain terms that the drivetrain unit machine(s) would not arrive until July 2023.
I'm curious, is it THE machines, or extra machines?

We don't know what drivetrain the truck is rocking. It very well could be Model X like they've used on all the demo units(as seen in UI) so they could temporarily ship over X trains to get it moving while waiting for the dedicated GT machines.

anionic1

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Estimator
Country flag
The timing of the Cybertruck rollout reminds me what all of us wait listers went through when the Model 3 was rolled out. Hopefully Tesla has learned a few things along the way; it looks like they have...They're not changing or delaying the production schedule in public every few weeks and months, so that is a good thing.

In the summer of 2017, there were some early Model 3 deliveries to VIP folks at the Fremont event. After that, into the Fall, production hell started and there were a few employee deliveries here and there. Into the Fall, the production line was ramping up a bit (but still not very many deliveries). I had made my reservation in-store at 11 minutes past 10am on the day when all the people showed up and waited in line, was a previous owner, and lived in California, so I had all of that going for me. I got my Model 3 just before Christmas in 2017 (VIN 14xx). It was fine, no big issues. But it was an early car, for sure.

Other friends and family got their cars into the next year and beyond. Those later cars were definitely better from a build quality and ride quality perspective. That's why I'm so torn with the Cybertruck. After all this time, I really want to take delivery as early as possible, but do I want it as early as last time? Hmm....Part of me says yes, bring it on, but getting an early car has its issues...

I'm not as early on the reservation list this time (~ 1 hour after they opened the website), but still pretty high up there...Who am I kidding? As soon as they offer it to me, I'll put my money down... :)
So what’s your place in line? I think I placed the next morning and I am 30k in line (if there even is a line)

ijoe13

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Tesla Model 3 LR
Country flag
So if I’m ~284,000th in line, when can I realistically expect to have Tesla have me sign the purchase contract? Late 2024?

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Tesla Model 3 LR
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
We have? I must be missing something here.

We’ve seen a lot of things going into Giga Texas. Some of it is recognizable, some of it not so much. For example battery equipment is largely unknown.

We don’t even really know what they are doing in terms of folding the body. How would we know if it was delivered or not?
There would be sample exoskeletons littering the landscape…but you are right.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
There would be sample exoskeletons littering the landscape…but you are right.
I think this is it in a nutshell. The only real evidence we have of anything is if it’s either giant and obvious like the Gigapress or if there is obvious output from the new equipment.

The weird thing about the exoskeleton is the fact that we know so little about how it will be produced. The machines I’ve seen to date have zero hope of keeping pace with the ~1/ 90 seconds output of the Gigapress (maybe faster) so they would either have to have a lot of machines working in parallel to keep up or some piece of equipment that can fold them much quicker.
Sponsored