firsttruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
none
Country flag
Might be using 500W solar panel modules

---------------------

GreenTow trailers are state of the art mobile solar power units. Created with top of the line components and materials, GreenTow Solar Trailers are made of the best of what the solar and green energy industry have to offer. Coupled with creative engineering and real world input, GreenTow has created the first of its kind. A functional state of the art solar trailer providing clean, quiet, green MOBILE POWER.

Green Tow Model GT3049 18KW peak 240V 3-phase - 36 solar modules
https://greentow.com/models/

Features
https://greentow.com/category/features/

Tesla Cybertruck Solar range extender prototype GT3049_back_open

Tesla Cybertruck Solar range extender prototype GT_battery-bank1

Tesla Cybertruck Solar range extender prototype greentow-control-Screenshot_20220705_120253
Sponsored

JBee

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
. Professional Hobbyist
Country flag
Those Greentow products are a joke....
18kW max inverter output, but that comes from 36x 165Ah AGM (lead acid) or 37kWh worth of batteries that weigh 6000lb (more than the CT?) all from a measily 36x 135W PV module array that makes 5kW peak at a rock bottom basement price of $114,000!!

Even worked out over a ten year life span, which those rubbish AGM batteries won't do at all (maybe 5?) That works out to a massive $2 per kWh! Grid solar is $0.07c kWh in comparison.

No thanks!

Last edited:

nomadmusk

First Name
Droxx
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Civic to Cybertruck
Occupation
2nd infantry of Tesla's Quality Division
Country flag
I'm still banking on directly adding to the built in solar array with an electrician or from Tesla themselves. Where you plug in a series of your own panels into a separate mppt controller. This trailer gives me hope that they thought of DIYers. I think someone said it had no batteries; all the better!

What does a 20% aero loss matter if your self-sufficient. Ruining aero on my travel range means almost nothing to me, if it's that bad hit up a supercharger for 5 minutes. It's the camping range that matters here. I currently car camp in a civic and my biggest problem has been 6 consecutive days of rain/clouds, and that's with a tiny 200ac bluetti. I know that's a normal week on the east coast, which is why I'm focused on extending that 40 miles a day 'with optimal conditions.'

I saw the estimated surface area was enough for 2 400w panels on the tonneau producing 15 miles a day? I could easily bump that to 30 by adding a few panels.

I estimate using about 66 miles a day through normal use (i.e. computer, fridge, cooking appliances, campsite lights, 24/7 dog mode, night sentry, ice friends). And I'm estimating the tri has enough range for 9-18 days based on YouTubers' losses while overnighting in 3/y

charliemagpie

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CybrBEAST
Occupation
retired
Country flag
Is it just me ?

I'm sceptical.

I find it ridiculous Tesla has this on show, it is so basic. It is a simple after market product. I could build one. And I can't weld !, I could learn lol.

A proof of concept ? Might as well have a Tesla employee standing there showing people how to suck an egg.

If Tesla needed to convince more people to buy their cars by showing them how to get around further.. I could understand.

And they have it an expo ?

A Tesla mobile fast charger able to scale up worldwide would impress me. Not this school project.

I think they are leading their competitors up the garden path.

JBee

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
. Professional Hobbyist
Country flag
Lol made by and for it would seem.

That is not a Tesla project...

YeahYeahYeah

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Tundra(sold),02 Subaru Outback,1967 Fastback
Occupation
Electrician
Country flag
I'm totally interested in the solar option!!!! Sure I'd also like to know about the sound system for CT too, like does it have a sweet subwoofer?, I really miss the stereo I had in my Tundra. But yeah the solar option is great and something I really want an update on the most!!!. Even at 15-20 miles of added range a day that is definitely something I want on my CT. They could always offer an additional storable, and/or foldable solar panel array to add to the main solar array as well.

SparkChaser

First Name
Leigh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CyberTruck Ticket Holder, Ford Ranger, Mini Coup
Occupation
Airline Inspector
Country flag
I'm totally interested in the solar option!!!! Sure I'd also like to know about the sound system for CT too, like does it have a sweet subwoofer?, I really miss the stereo I had in my Tundra. But yeah the solar option is great and something I really want an update on the most!!!. Even at 15-20 miles of added range a day that is definitely something I want on my CT. They could always offer an additional storable, and/or foldable solar panel array to add to the main solar array as well.
These are currently out there. It is just not made by Tesla or as cool as the CT will be, at least not yet...

FutureBoy

First Name
Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag
You know, the one thing that would make this trailer solar project stand out as a CT accessory would be if it was built with SS. Then give it some air suspension like the CT. Suddenly it screams CT accessory.

But I agree that there wasn't a mention of batteries being used to extend range. Would really want that for my CT out in the wilderness.

YeahYeahYeah

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Tundra(sold),02 Subaru Outback,1967 Fastback
Occupation
Electrician
Country flag
I was mostly thinking of the main solar panel, and then some kind of storable solar panels that could be attached to the CT for charging or even set up nearby from the CT and plugged into the CT battery, after charging quickly disassembled and stored. The trailer for charging is good but If I'm towing something it might as well be a camping trailer w/solar

TheLastStarfighter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Dodge Challenger, Tesla Model 3
Occupation
Industrial Engineer
Country flag
Dual subs, since you’re wondering.

ldjessee

First Name
Lloyd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Leaf, MYLR, Kaw 1700 Vaquero
Occupation
Business Intelligence Manager & Analyst
Country flag
Is there an EV that can charge while also being driven?

And I am not talking about tow charging a Rivian or such, I am talking about charging from an external source of the vehicle (so not regenerative braking either).

Like from a trailer. Even if the trailer is generating power from solar panels, from regenerative braking, or even natural gas generator, I am not sure there is any EV that will take power while moving.

Now I like the idea of the solar vault cover and the trailer. Because I drive so little right now, even 10 miles a day above system use/drain would account for a lot of my day to day driving.

And parking the trailer at a camp site, doing some overlanding/light off road exploring, returning to camp, drain out some of what the trailer got while sitting there, is great, especially if you were pulling a trailer anyway (like cargo or RV).
Sponsored