Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Prius (CyberSlug)
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
There's a smattering of torsen diffs out there that put a smackdown in 4x4 performance. Hoping for some elon news that they'll be using torsen, but #bestpartisnopart and the minimal times one need true limited slip, a high speed algorithm brake check should do the trick.
Shout-out to design prototype test
Sponsored

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla X LR+, Lexus SUV, Toyota SR5, Toyota Landcruiser
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
The understanding of 4x4 comes through exposure, experience and knowing that just putting power at every wheel just buys broken components as torque moves away from your points of heaviest power transfer.
Power is simply torque times shaft speed. Power is transferred to the shaft from the motor and thence through the tire to the substrate. Thus putting the motor at or even in the wheel gets the power transfer and torque closer together - not farther apart.

Thereā€™s reason to Tesla inserting a heavy open differential between Plaid dual RWD motors.
There would be no reason to do this nor can I even think of how it might be done. A differential has three shafts. Where would the third shaft connect in such an arrangement?

John K

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt, CT reserve day 2
Country flag
If you have four motors, do you keep a spare or patch kit?

rr6013

First Name
Rex
Threads
Reaction score
Website
shorttakes.substack.com
Vehicles
1997 Tahoe 2 door 4x4
Occupation
Retired software developer and heavy commercial design builder
Country flag
If you have four motors, do you keep a spare or patch kit?
Quad-motor adds another failure point and ups unsprung weight.

OR itā€˜s ā€œ inside wheelā€ for a new Baby Tesla that cuts costs, improves efficiency and adds reliability by playing small motor inside the wheel. It sounds like a whole new product, new vehicle and new market approach..

Really impressed engineers kept Tesla motors on the table looking at ways to build better. Changing to new Plaid motors and improved 18650 chemistry added another generation onto Teslaā€™s halo product lifetime.

Tesla have reached Integrative engineering! Whatā€™s next?

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla X LR+, Lexus SUV, Toyota SR5, Toyota Landcruiser
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
Quad-motor adds another failure point and ups unsprung weight.
The motor and inverter are added but the differential is gone. No, the motor does not add to the unsprung weighjt. It is mounted to the chassis.

SpaceDoc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Kia Sportage PHEV... 2025+ GMC Denali EV
Occupation
Space Cowboy
Country flag
.... In America most backcountry is inaccessible, locked up. What conditions demanded 4x4, asphalt with the advancement of time has obviated the need. Niche corner cases remain just that.

Today 4x4 owners must drive out of their way to find situations, conditions and places that 4x4 can get them unstuck. Snow and mud are last great examples where RWD sucks and AWD sucks less. Some manufacturers AWD beat 4x4.

Same as it ever was. I don't think there has been much new "asphalt" laid down for 40 - 50 years that wasn't repaving an already existing road.

Also, I would disagree that "most backcountry is inaccessible", as most "backcountry" in the US is BLM land, which is all mostly accessible.

4x4 owners have always had to "go out of their way" to varying degrees to find 4x4 situations, and there are a lot of people that do just that, which is why 4x4 is a popular option. I used to do that in college in the early 90's with my old 1978 Dodge Power Wagon 4x4. And then later with my Toyota 4-runner with locking diffs. Fun times!

In any event, I think we agree that a motor at each wheel is not useful for most folks, but for different reasons. As I said/implied initially, ICE 4x4's don't have 4 motors but you can still lock out each wheel.

Status
Not open for further replies.