Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightng Lariat ER, 2014 Chevy Volt
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
F-150 Lighting I get 1 mile /Kwh near same as Dual motor CT
Tesla Cybertruck Spotted: Cybertruck towing travel trailer (Coachmen Apex Ultralite) 1703248554549

Tesla Cybertruck Spotted: Cybertruck towing travel trailer (Coachmen Apex Ultralite) 1703252904791

This trailer is 37 ft. 8,000 lb. I take my wife and grand kids to local camping parks within 300 miles (1 charge) there are lots of parks to choose from.
Can boondock for a week no problem.

Last edited:

JBee

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
. Professional Hobbyist
Country flag
Keystone Carbon 35 - it's everything you describe, lol...but it's only 2 years old, have installed a bunch of solar, batteries, etc - and the fam is used to it!
Um you mean this monster?

Tesla Cybertruck Spotted: Cybertruck towing travel trailer (Coachmen Apex Ultralite) 1703222940205

Or is it a different one?

I mean something more like this:

https://www.knaus.com/en-int/caravans/sport/epower-selection/500-kd/standard-equipment/

That one is just 2400lbs total, and has electric everything with no propane.

Tesla Cybertruck Spotted: Cybertruck towing travel trailer (Coachmen Apex Ultralite) 1703247154863

Or something that runs of your EV's V2L at 1900lbs:

https://knaus-yaseo.com/en-int/

Tesla Cybertruck Spotted: Cybertruck towing travel trailer (Coachmen Apex Ultralite) 1703250404137

Or if you really need 35ft:

https://www.adria-mobil.com/caravans/alpina

The long one there is also only 3700lbs, but only 7.8ft high.

It's not just the shape that matters, but also the front cross sectional area. You want something that tucks behind the CT as much as possible, and weighs the lest possible, with the least amount of drag etc.

Tesla Cybertruck Spotted: Cybertruck towing travel trailer (Coachmen Apex Ultralite) Adria RV

WHIZZARD OF OZ

First Name
Ivan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW Up!
Occupation
Electric Wheelchair Builder
Country flag
Get a smaller pop up one and go twice as far? ;)

American RVs are a redonkulous waste of space and the epitome of poor packaging, excessive weight and bad aero design.

Buy a euro travel trailer.
YEP! Agreed.....
A CYBERTRUCK 'That'll do Donkey' is the FUTURE.....An aero trailer with it's own battery pack/drive system is 'Da_Key'.... this could and should help push the CT to a range of 300 plus miles!
I worked 4 years with 'A'van' and tried to sway management towards 'Electrified' Motor Homes and Caravans in 2016.....
Insert the sound of 'crickets' here:.......

JBee

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
. Professional Hobbyist
Country flag
YEP! Agreed.....
A CYBERTRUCK 'That'll do Donkey' is the FUTURE.....An aero trailer with it's own battery pack/drive system is 'Da_Key'.... this could and should help push the CT to a range of 300 plus miles!
I worked 4 years with 'A'van' and tried to sway management towards 'Electrified' Motor Homes and Caravans in 2016.....
Insert the sound of 'crickets' here:.......
The Avan A frame campers are pretty good for such a little vehicle, pulling that roof down helps heaps.

The trick with aero is simply to design it in such a way that you aren't dragging a box of air around.
There is simply no reason to have the volume of a RV expanded whilst driving, even a simple shoe box tells you how it can be done.

The other thing is that RV length is not as bad as width or height, especially so if it has a much larger cross section than the tow vehicle, and the high speed airflow coming off the sides and roof crashes into the front end of the trailer without being deflected around.

WHIZZARD OF OZ

First Name
Ivan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW Up!
Occupation
Electric Wheelchair Builder
Country flag
The Avan A frame campers are pretty good for such a little vehicle, pulling that roof down helps heaps.

The trick with aero is simply to design it in such a way that you aren't dragging a box of air around.
There is simply no reason to have the volume of a RV expanded whilst driving, even a simple shoe box tells you how it can be done.

The other thing is that RV length is not as bad as width or height, especially so if it has a much larger cross section than the tow vehicle, and the high speed airflow coming off the sides and roof crashes into the front end of the trailer without being deflected around.
Just think, today the 'Lady Who Lived In A Shoe' wouldn't 'Toe_a_Box' Trailer when going on holidays!

SentinelOne

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
See Sig
Occupation
IT
Country flag
Um you mean this monster?
https://www.jdpower.com/rvs/2022/keystone-rv/m-35/6615257/specs

That's the one! If I can get it 300mi with one charge stop im good to go...we'll see. Didnt realize the tongue weight was so high - assume less if I dont load to max weight (keep it at 11k, rear balanced)...will figure it out, won't sell current truck till im satisfied the CT can do it within spec/safely - otherwise I'll sell my truck/trailer and get a new CT trailer! But im really hoping for 150mi range safely!

ldjessee

First Name
Lloyd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Leaf, MYLR, Kaw 1700 Vaquero
Occupation
Business Intelligence Manager & Analyst
Country flag
Check out this self powered camper .. keep the range of your truck...hmm
Could make it collapse to reduce frontal area or just make it more aerodynamic, and not need to tow the heavy battery and electric motor?
Or how about having a hard top and bottom, but have air struts and panels inflate and push this thing up to walk around height…
Just hauling a box of air with some stuff seems like a waste…
Again, hope RV manufacturers get the hint…
There are companies that will model your trailer and tow vehicle and give you all kinds of things to improve the design of the trailer.

JBee

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
. Professional Hobbyist
Country flag
https://www.jdpower.com/rvs/2022/keystone-rv/m-35/6615257/specs

That's the one! If I can get it 300mi with one charge stop im good to go...we'll see. Didnt realize the tongue weight was so high - assume less if I dont load to max weight (keep it at 11k, rear balanced)...will figure it out, won't sell current truck till im satisfied the CT can do it within spec/safely - otherwise I'll sell my truck/trailer and get a new CT trailer! But im really hoping for 150mi range safely!
Looks like our definitions of compact, light and aerodynamic are different. :D

It's a nice rig, but it will only work with a ICE truck. Expect to see less than half the range towing that one with the CT.

I'm actually surprised how few low profile light weight travel trailers there are in the USA.
You don't get anything else in europe, and accordingly the EV range hit there will be a lot less.
Even here in Aus we have a bit lower and much lighter design language.

SentinelOne

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
See Sig
Occupation
IT
Country flag
You don't get anything else in europe, and accordingly the EV range hit there will be a lot less.
Even here in Aus we have a bit lower and much lighter design language.
well none of the big ones fit on roads in the EU....and the infamous Land Cruiser or Hilux from OZ cant pull the big ones , plus $ per Liter bit more dear, etc....

But, means international is more ready for EV Trucks!

Hopefully in a few years they'll have some new trailer tech/shapes that are more EV friendly...that and I'll choose something a bit more logical/fitting!

etinum321

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y, S
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
Can someone please just give us a ball park number of towing an RV... any RV over 5k lbs at this point. Of course I'd like the information to come from someone who's actually done it please. This information will help me determine if I should buy a CT.
Sponsored