Towing Camping Trailers

ldjessee

First Name
Lloyd
Reaction score
Vehicles
reservation for 2 motor Cybertruck, Nissan Leaf, Subau Outback, Kawasaki Vulcan 1700 Vaquero ABS
Occupation
programmer
Country flag
Slow down, dramatic improvement in range.

If I get 180 miles from my dual motor while towing or bed loaded/vault open, that is like 3 hours of driving (at slower speeds). Then taking a break for 30 to 45 minutes seems ok to me, but my personal needs/wants are not the same as everyone else.

I am also expecting many companies to create trailers that will fit into the frontal area 'shadow' of the Cybertruck, so that will help aerodynamics as well.

richardlpaul

First Name
Rick
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
We can't know, but EVs don't have as much energy to waste as internal combustion vehicles.

EVs are already pretty heavy because of the battery pack. So that's never a problem.

The Trimotor is probably the best option for towing because if its double range. The Dual will be okay but won't be able to get too far from power.

-Crissa
I did some calculations on the dual motor with towing and even the dual motor can make it charger to charger across I-10. Also consider when towing a camper (I’m planning on getting an airstream) that you will often be stopping at campgrounds with 30 and 50 amp outlets that can charge the CT.

rr6013

First Name
Rex
Reaction score
Website
shorttakes.substack.com
Vehicles
1997 Tahoe 2 door 4x4
Occupation
Retired software developer and heavy commercial design builder
Country flag
I did some calculations on the dual motor with towing and even the dual motor can make it charger to charger across I-10. Also consider when towing a camper (I’m planning on getting an airstream) that you will often be stopping at campgrounds with 30 and 50 amp outlets that can charge the CT.
Perhaps, missing in BEV is the flywheel effect ICE enjoy with rotating mass. Towing may push the flywheel back into use with a EV twist on momentum.

pagesix1536

First Name
Chris
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Nissan Leaf / 1969 Jeep DJ5
Country flag
Does anyone think that the range numbers we were given are WITH a payload or trailer weight? They stated the range of the Semitruck like that. Why would we be mislead with the Cybertruck to believe that it won't be able to tow at least the paylod capacity of 3500 lbs for 500 miles on one charge with the tri-motor?

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
I did some calculations on the dual motor with towing and even the dual motor can make it charger to charger across I-10.
Yes, that's by design. But how much energy you lose to each trailer is still unknown; some will be exceedingly bad (like those toyhaulers that have the ramp sticking straight up in the air)

-Crissa

rr6013

First Name
Rex
Reaction score
Website
shorttakes.substack.com
Vehicles
1997 Tahoe 2 door 4x4
Occupation
Retired software developer and heavy commercial design builder
Country flag
Does anyone think that the range numbers we were given are WITH a payload or trailer weight? They stated the range of the Semitruck like that. Why would we be mislead with the Cybertruck to believe that it won't be able to tow at least the paylod capacity of 3500 lbs for 500 miles on one charge with the tri-motor?
NOPE…you’re the first I’ve heard who thinks that specification was for a fully loaded maximum weighted vehicle range.

Why? IDK how anyone bridges from published mfgrs base specification to maximums. If the assertion is that Elon was leading the public to believe Tesla Cybertruck would tow 16000 lbs. AND go 500mi. on one charge… then its a small leap in imagination to assume Cybertruck could easily haul 3500lbs. 500mi on a single charge.

You obviously witnessed the Semi launch. I did not. Semi is a purpose-built and engineered truck that does only one thing - haul. When it is not hauling a trailer in-tow, a Semi with a trailer attached or not is “deadheading”. SO I believe that Elon would quote specifications for exactly that purpose which it was engineered not deadheading.

A pickup is dual-use not single purpose. It is empty or loaded. Pickups don’t deadhead. But similarly to a passenger car, pickup mfgr specifications normal and customary industry practice are quoted empty(i.e. curb weight) parked at a curb. In my lifetime, never have I known of an instance where a pickup specification referred to the pickup in its fully loaded maximum weighted capacity.

SO get back to me if you are correct on this and I’ll freeze my order on a CT3. That’s the steal of the millennia

Firetruck41

First Name
Ben
Reaction score
Vehicles
2013 Leaf, 2017 Bolt, 2010 Ram 2500 Megacab
Country flag
Definitely not. Every trailer is of different weight, size, and aero. Towing one trailer you could see a 30% decrease in range, where another trailer could see a 70% decrease in range, way to many variables to make it "towing" range.

Also, at max tow with almost any trailer, I would guess you are as losing at least 50% range. If the numbers were "towing range". The battery would have to be 100% larger than all current predictions. I don't see that as realistic.

Advertisement

Advertisement