Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck AWD
Occupation
Medical Business Owner
Country flag
I ordered my 3 motor cybertruck during the unveiling. My reservation number is "RN112749075". My friend ordered his 2 motor cybertruck 3 days after the unveiling, his reservation number is RN112800341. Which means he's 51,266 reservations down the line from me. He received notification yesterday (12/12) to configure his "Foundation Series" -Which I understand only 1,000 of them are being made. We both live in San Diego California. I'm super stoked for him that his reservation got pushed up from what should have been end of year next year, to now getting his, probably this month (December 2023). It seems Tesla is not following their own reservation order, which seems unfair to those of us who were further up in line. And of course, there is no phone number or email address you can reach where something like this could be addressed. Has anyone else had a similar experience? -very disappointed.
Same!!! And Iā€™m even earlier. 112744! Yet not a peep. (I did not have my CA address in my account. Donā€™t know if that played a part).
That said, Iā€™m not super jazzed to pay a premium just for Foundation series.
Sponsored

Easyejl

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Audi Q4 e-tron,2017 WRX STI, 2003 Mazda Miata
Occupation
Software development
Country flag
I have zero budget constraints surrounding the purchase of any version of the truck and I still can not understand people foaming at the mouth to overpay for one asap knowing they are signing up for teething issues with the trucks and eating a mountain of depreciation in the process.
considering right now demand for EVs has kind of cratered, I see lower cybertruck prices coming. Unless they choose to "slow walk" the ramp up and keep supply limited on purpose. Ford announced they were allowing dealers to advertise Mach-e crapboxes below MSRP, which is quite a different picture than a year ago when they were fighting with dealerships to not add a premium to them.

And with the tax change for 2024, for cars that qualify you will be able to get the rebate up front. The base F150 Lightning qualifies for the full amount with it's sticker as 50k.

I had a dual motor CT reserved, and the more I've thought about it i'd rather have the single. I keep picturing sneezing while backing into the garage, and going straight through the wall given the acceleration they have :D

cvalue13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150L
Occupation
Fun-employed
Country flag
It seems like theyā€™re taking the early orders (24hrs), weighting them heavily toward CA/TX, and drawing them at random. The ā€œfirst dayā€ orders are essentially in the same timeframe.
afterall, if a person from eg TX and a person from eg CA both hit submit simultaneously, the person in TX ordered exactly two hours earlier

BayouCityBob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Model 3
Country flag
I would note a few additional possibilities:
1) Tesla may have Separate CA and TX allocations (never said they did not). We should not assume a 112787 from CA is "ahead" of a 112801 in TX. May be two different lists.
2) I still think it is significantly based on proximity to a CyberTruck qualified Service Center. I expect Tesla has a dozen or fewer SCs identified as initial CT qualified locations (including body shops) and they are prioritizing folks that are near those.

Just speculation, of course...

ggill604

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla 3
Country flag
I got a different issue . I ordered day 1 in Canada and ordered with a Canadian address and also was invited to order a foundation series . I went ahead with the order but it seems Iā€™m locked into the USA region and shouldnā€™t have been invited in the first place. As its hard to contact anyone Iā€™m just waiting for someone from Tesla to contact me . Iā€™m located in Vancouver . My order number is in the 1127ā€™s

cvalue13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150L
Occupation
Fun-employed
Country flag
I didn't see anything in writing guaranteeing reservations being honored in sequence, only that reservations will be honored at some point.

I could be missing something, so feel free to correct me if I am.
You're not wrong except that thereā€™s also nothing guaranteeing that reservations will be honored at any point.

The overly hopeful or inattentive gloss over the fact that Tesla has in the past followed the (merely roughly) order of early reservations (as weā€™re seeing with the CT now), and then after only a few months simply opened orders to first-deal-deposit-first-served.

Meanwhile, all prior model reservation lists were only a rough approximation of actual offers to configure/deliver, with other regional and supply chain, information glitch, etc.,etc., causing the same sort of variances weā€™re seeing here with the CT.

So youā€™re exactly right that the notion of reservation numbers indicating a strict order of configuration offers was a notion dreamer up and propagated by the overly hopeful or inattentive, and snowballed into a generally accepted dogma.

But was never something Tesla committed to, or has ever followed - sometimes far from it.

lowtek

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Plaid
Occupation
I do things.
Country flag
Well, you don't get to say that without citing some kind of proof ... where did they say that a reservation was a place in line? In fact, they are doing what Tesla has always done, deliver by region based on current production trims. No surprise here.

When you reserved it plainly said price and features may change.

Everybody knows that battery supply constraints are the main issue on range.

It is an exoskeleton.

The wiper is certainly an advantage in aerodynamics, do your research ... it's ugly but really an elegant solution.

Anyone reasonable would have viewed the concept truck reveal as just that ... here's the goals, let's see how far we get. If you thought all that would make it into production, I guess you're new to cars. Tesla got closer to their concept than any other concept reveal I've ever seen (and I've been around a minute).

I guess Tesla's crystal ball was broken and didn't show the supply chain issues that covid would bring ... clearly, they should have called you, Captain Hindsight.

Last edited:

cvalue13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150L
Occupation
Fun-employed
Country flag
for me at least, itā€™s not that youā€™re wrong, itā€™s that this is no different from any other OEM and itā€™s just a business at the end of the day

so at least where Iā€™m concerned (maybe some others as well), itā€™s not that Iā€™m saying in effect ā€œgive Tesla a break,ā€ itā€™s instead Iā€™m saying ā€œitā€™s like any any f*cking car company, not a post-apocalyptic bread line run by nunsā€

Coolio2000

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 F250 Limited FX4 6.7 diesel
Country flag
I donā€™t think Iā€™ve seen anyone who ordered three days after the event and is 11280ā€¦ I ordered the morning after and am 11282 which is 74,00 and aligns with every other person Iā€™ve seen share their number.

His email in his inbox from ā€œ[email protected]ā€ titled ā€œThank you for your orderā€ is dated 11/24/19? I would verify and not rely on memory if you havenā€™t already. Still strange he got his invite before you based on number unless he owns a bunch of Teslas + stock + referrals or something.
I ordered early morning on 11/23/19 and have a 11288 number. Around 128,000 in line.

NASCARRon

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I ordered my 3 motor cybertruck during the unveiling. My reservation number is "RN112749075". My friend ordered his 2 motor cybertruck 3 days after the unveiling, his reservation number is RN112800341. Which means he's 51,266 reservations down the line from me. He received notification yesterday (12/12) to configure his "Foundation Series" -Which I understand only 1,000 of them are being made. We both live in San Diego California. I'm super stoked for him that his reservation got pushed up from what should have been end of year next year, to now getting his, probably this month (December 2023). It seems Tesla is not following their own reservation order, which seems unfair to those of us who were further up in line. And of course, there is no phone number or email address you can reach where something like this could be addressed. Has anyone else had a similar experience? -very disappointed.
Did you order the Foundation series as well?

Startreknerd

First Name
Devin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, Tesla Model 3
Occupation
Medical Clerk
Country flag
His number shouldn't be 11280 three days later, I was next day and I have 11284.

Maybe he lied and he's in front of you šŸ¤·ā€ā™‚ļø

cvalue13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150L
Occupation
Fun-employed
Country flag
to be fair, your critiques are at least in part based on an equally unsubstantiated characterization of their claims.

Just like Tesla never said (and has never demonstrated) that pre-order res numbers are sacrosanct:

Neither Tesla nor Musk ever said ā€œWe don't make our production cars different than the conceptā€

Musk, in a Jay Leno ride-along interview:

Leno: ā€œhow close is this [prototype] to what it will look like in production?ā€​

Musk: ā€œat Tesla we always want to have the production car be better than the show car - it always drove me crazy when manufactures would come out with this cool-looking show car, and then the actual production car would be way worse. Like man, you got us all excited about this sweet looking car and then in production is terrible. We wonā€™t do show cars that arenā€™t real. So I think weā€™ve got the proportions here pretty close ā€¦ weā€™re 5% too big.ā€​

Musk actually described how the truck in both functionality and design proportions would be changing, but rather than either changing for the worse they would change it for what Tesla believes is the better.

Hard for an individual consumer, who might dogmatically say ā€œwell *I* liked the prototype better because it was larger than a HumVee,ā€ to tell us that Tesla thinks thatā€™s a more marketable, better performing, correctly priceable, product.

Point being, both the $TSLA and $TSLAQ crowd have similarly selective hearing, where they use the identical hallucination to opposite purposes.

The $TSLA crowd: ā€œbecause a Tesla says their prototypes never change, thereā€™s gonna be a tailgate ramp. ā€​

The $TSLAQ crowd: ā€œbecause a Tesla says their prototypes never change, you guys got Musked, no tailgate ramp.ā€​

Meanwhile, anyone with a baseline of sense and pragmatism: ā€œguess the ramp was too heavy, costly, and/or useless to put in a production car.ā€

Just the same, Tesla wants early CT units to be nearby the only places that can service or retrofit these vehicles, doesnā€™t worry if your account didnā€™t have an address plugged in, or simply views people who ordered in the same ~48hr period as roughly identically postured ā€œin lineā€ā€¦ and all only so long as they feel even roughly following the line is beneficial to business, all things considered.

Meanwhile, what the Ct is priced at today or the next two years, is irrelevant to whether Teslaā€™s plans and aspirations are to have it priced differently (lower) eventually, in its market capture lifespan.

No doubt they put their foot in their mouth with putting those prices in screen in 2019, before really putting pen to paper on what it will take to bring this bizarro truck to market.

But people taking Teslaā€™s pre-production ideas as sacrosanct weā€™re always washed up and off base to begin with