dempster

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Model 3, 2021 Model Y, Cybertruck preoder
Country flag
It looks to me like they just gave those mom and pop shops the ability to raise their prices across the board. We wrapped our Y, for about 5K Canadian. that equates roughly to half of what Tesla is charging.

I don't see many using their service, other than the lazy people with money who simply don't care.

CHC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150, Model X
Country flag
Local shops here aren't half Tesla's prices... just paid $5,500 to satin wrap our model Y...

20200621 Donna's 2023 Model Y 03.jpg
Wow, you got a raw deal. Paid 4500 to wrap a Raptor, door jambs included, PPF, SoCal shop. 7500 is simply not a fair price for a small car like the 3/Y. Tesla is clearly making a huge profit on each wrap

Last edited:

showmemo

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 M3P, 2000 M Roadster, XC 40, TriMotor CT
Occupation
IT
Country flag
They're already doing this with collision repair shops. The used to have a few 'select' shops get certified, now they are opening some of their own shops to compete. Just the way it works, I guess.
I own a small MSP and have been thru many 'evil' corporations starting to offer the same services - Dell being one. But found that nobody wanted to deal with the big company where each client is just an account number. So, we've weathered that by offering personalized service. Haven't lost one client to one of the large 'evil' corps.

Gurule92

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MYP
Occupation
"Cyber" stuff
Country flag
I personally don't think shops will be going under because of this. Competition can be good. Tesla doesn't offer that many choices and the prices are high. The Tesla shop will be for the bored people with lots of money who likely wouldn't have wrapped the car normally. Tapping into (at least partially) a new market.

The other shops don't have to lose for Tesla to win here.

TyPope

First Name
Ty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 MYLR, '23 Mavrick Hybrid, '24? Cyberbeast
Occupation
Current Operations for... an organization
Country flag
Wow, you got a raw deal. Paid 4500 to wrap a Raptor, door jambs included, PPF, SoCal shop. 7500 is simply not a fair price for a small car like the 3/Y. Tesla is clearly making a huge profit on each wrap
They pull the bumper off and all the cameras. There was a new Ford GT in there getting wrapped at the same time. The guy we went to doesn't do cheap wraps for a reason. But, if Tesla wraps a car, they'd cover any issues with it and that peace of mind may be worth a bit to some people. I don't know how much harder it is to wrap a Tesla than Raptor so I can't directly compare the two but it seems to me if you can get the same quality wrap for $4,500 on the Raptor, then $7,500 is a bit steep for Tesla's wrap. But, since when has Tesla offered anything in their shop that you couldn't find elsewhere cheaper? Tesla probably doesn't want to build out the capacity to wrap every car as it takes so long to do. I think it took our guy 4 days to wrap ours. He put ceramic tint on all the windows and windshield as well.

SolarWizard

First Name
MB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
3.0L JT // Quad CT
Occupation
solar, DCFC & battery biz owner
Country flag
Is this the first Tesla attack on small businesses, will they continue making moves that shut down hundreds or thousands of small businesses? Obviously, Optimus has the potential to change everything, but let's save that for a thread of it's own.
I’m no longer small but I argue that this their second. U can dm me for details if u care

evazquezcu

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Chevy Silverado LT
Country flag
Seems absurdly expensive for a colour change.

Give me white any day of the week, and a grand for adding some trim to individualise, and I'll be happy.
I was waiting on someone to point that out, price is absolutely insane , shops that already been doing this for years charge close to half of that(MIAMI). What make us believed that Tesla will not be subcontracting these very same business?

CyberSleuth

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Hot Wheels 1:10 Cybertruck
Country flag
I'd rather save the money for another motor.

Or ramp, solar package, FSD etc.

Gurule92

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MYP
Occupation
"Cyber" stuff
Country flag
I'd rather save the money for another motor.

Or ramp, solar package, FSD etc.
Or a down payment on solar for your house to get them sweet sweet tax benefits. (but probs wanna wait till the year after CT purchase lol)

Gurule92

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MYP
Occupation
"Cyber" stuff
Country flag
House doesn't go where I want to take the truck.

-Crissa
But the truck goes to the house. And the money back from the solar tax credit can get you that solar package upgrade lol

vrpatel

First Name
Vishal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2012 Wrangler Unlimited, 2021 Model Y Performance
Country flag
That's a crazy high amount. I have a full Xpel Stealth PPF on my model Y along with ceramic tint on all the windows other than the roof and it was a total of about $5,500. The stealth XPEL essentially gives the car a matte/satin finish.
Sponsored