egandalf

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 Toyota Tacoma
Country flag
I didn't see anything new is these pictures. Just teaser picture with same size as original pictures shown on presentation day!
A lot of the pictures are the same. Some of them are new, particularly interior. Higher res than previously shared on some of them, too.

Diehard

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Olds Aurora V8, Saturn Sky redline, Lightning, CT2
Country flag
This is so cool. Kinda like we opening a gift together and its taking us months to do it. lol
The anticipation is awesome.
It is even better than that. It is like opening the same gift over and over again. First time was "in a month or so" around new year. Now we get to open it again next quarter:

Tesla Cybertruck Tesla Releases High-Res Images of the Cybertruck 1618255532372

SanDollars

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S, CyberTruck
Country flag
So now you can see both the ugliest (Cybertruck) and the sexiest (Roadster) vehicles on the planet in HI DEF. Sweet!

Mythrainder

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Compliance
Country flag
Okay folks those hole things are called "sfandards". Standards were used for cattle and "headack" racks. The holes are always a standard size and shape on a pickup truck so you what youve built or bought can be used on any pickup or trailer. I know that dates me but thanks anyhow. Oh, and thems sadelebag tool boxes in the back that have triangle lids or call them Sales if ya like. Just sayen. Great form glad we're able to have some fun while helping to keep the planet hospitable for folks. Maybe they use standards for haulen wild bean curd to market too?

Old Pro

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I own a 2006 Toyota Tacoma and 2018 Tesla Model 3,
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
This photo made me wonder if that mirror is going to be a video display, why do we even have one? Why not just use the screen that is used for everything else? I understand, part of it may be unusable for other purposes but I am cool with it if it that big beautiful glass is uninterrupted as a result for enjoying the great outdoors from the comfort of CT interior.

1617907782887.png
"Mirror" is for Tesla Cam and recording as in other Models?

ÆCIII

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
Country flag
This photo made me wonder if that mirror is going to be a video display, why do we even have one? Why not just use the screen that is used for everything else? I understand, part of it may be unusable for other purposes but I am cool with it if it keeps that big beautiful glass uninterrupted for enjoying the great outdoors from the comfort of CT interior.

1617907782887.png
I see your initial impression, but even in ICE cars for decades now, the Rear View Mirror was placed in the upper center of a windshield for a very good reason - to allow quick visual attention to the rear, and then rapid refocusing on the road and surroundings ahead. Maintaining 'Focal Length' (as noted in other posts) supports this safety consideration. Think about it, if the upper center rear view wasn't needed in that critical placement, ICE cars would've had only side mirrors to the outside for decades long by now. The center screen being lower down, can't be too much of an all in one interface bottleneck because it then would detract from safety.

Even now, the lower center screen is a distraction more than ideal, for things like wiper control. music selection, climate control, because one has to not only fiddle to 'find' with sight, the Access-Touch-Point of these controls, but then they also have to fiddle again to return the screen to the default map display. I think one improvement could be a customizable option to have certain menus automatically retract and return to the default map display after an option change (if no further changes are pressed within a certain customizable delay period of a few seconds).

IMO more screens are better as in the Rivian or the Model S/X and refresh (just don't go crazy), while Tesla is still able to eliminate a lot of busy buttons for a clean minimalistic interior.

For the CT, I think Tesla has no choice but to use a camera/display implementation because the design blocks a direct visual path for a glass rear view mirror. Possibly regulatory requirements force them to have the rear view mirror display implemented for safety reasons.

I for one am curious though, how it will perform in real world situations because in a real mirror, one focuses 'through' it to the same distance of it's reflected content; but with a screen implementation one is forced to focus to the close screen to analyze it's contents. It would be cool and useful if somehow they could make it's display with a 'through distance' focal point like in the visual augmenting glasses or heads-up-displays do. So, compared to a traditional rear-view mirror, even the screen substitute might be a slight distraction with refocus delays.

If in the future the desired level of autonomy performance in FSD is achieved, all these points will be moot because we would be entrusting most of the visual response to the vehicle - but at this point I think we need the focal benefits of a rear view mirror as much as possible.

Diehard

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Olds Aurora V8, Saturn Sky redline, Lightning, CT2
Country flag
I see your initial impression, but even in ICE cars for decades now, the Rear View Mirror was placed in the upper center of a windshield for a very good reason - to allow quick visual attention to the rear, and then rapid refocusing on the road and surroundings ahead. Maintaining 'Focal Length' (as noted in other posts) supports this safety consideration. Think about it, if the upper center rear view wasn't needed in that critical placement, ICE cars would've had only side mirrors to the outside for decades long by now. The center screen being lower down, can't be too much of an all in one interface bottleneck because it then would detract from safety.

Even now, the lower center screen is a distraction more than ideal, for things like wiper control. music selection, climate control, because one has to not only fiddle to 'find' with sight, the Access-Touch-Point of these controls, but then they also have to fiddle again to return the screen to the default map display. I think one improvement could be a customizable option to have certain menus automatically retract and return to the default map display after an option change (if no further changes are pressed within a certain customizable delay period of a few seconds).

IMO more screens are better as in the Rivian or the Model S/X and refresh (just don't go crazy), while Tesla is still able to eliminate a lot of busy buttons for a clean minimalistic interior.

For the CT, I think Tesla has no choice but to use a camera/display implementation because the design blocks a direct visual path for a glass rear view mirror. Possibly regulatory requirements force them to have the rear view mirror display implemented for safety reasons.

I for one am curious though, how it will perform in real world situations because in a real mirror, one focuses 'through' it to the same distance of it's reflected content; but with a screen implementation one is forced to focus to the close screen to analyze it's contents. It would be cool and useful if somehow they could make it's display with a 'through distance' focal point like in the visual augmenting glasses or heads-up-displays do. So, compared to a traditional rear-view mirror, even the screen substitute might be a slight distraction with refocus delays.

If in the future the desired level of autonomy performance in FSD is achieved, all these points will be moot because we would be entrusting most of the visual response to the vehicle - but at this point I think we need the focal benefits of a rear view mirror as much as possible.
I agree with a lot of your points. Regarding focal point, one of the members that owned a Bolt said he didn’t like the option and used the regular mirror instead. It is a sample of one though. Somethings I should add. I am not sure I agree with your assertion that location of traditional mirror is ideal. I think it is there because it has to be due to limitation of how light travels. I give you that changing focal point may be taking a bit away from how quickly the driver can get useful information. The question is will that have more weight than benefits of the following senario:

As I mentioned in another post, let’s say we take the average of cost reduction approach and traditional. Put a dedicated display where speedometer usually goes. May be a bit higher where display meet the road in your line of sight. The advantage over traditional mirror would be:

• You don’t have to turn your neck to get new information. You can get back the time you lost on refocusing here.
  • your front windshield is no longer is obstructed and if a flying saucer losing control and coming at you at that angle, you can see and avoid it.
  • If you stitch the side view images to the rear for a panoramic image, with one glance you get information that you would get in three in traditional setup. That alone is a huge safety advantage.
with this setup it will be possible to have full awareness of your surrounding much easier. The other option would be projecting that image on your windshield so you don’t even have to look down.

There may be some European stats on how things are working out somewhere if they have already started some of these applications.

OP
OP

egandalf

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 Toyota Tacoma
Country flag
Cool interior LED light bar!
Right?! Glad I'm not the only one who noticed that. I hope it's multicolor b/c I'm running that thing electric blue all the time if so.
Sponsored