Tesla should contact customers in RESERVATION # ORDER, regardless of motor choice... right?

OP
OP
Idea Of The Day

Idea Of The Day

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ideaoftheday.com
Vehicles
2022 Ford F-150 Lightning
Occupation
Software Developer, Vlogger
Country flag
I spoke to two people at the local Tesla office. Both said the change would basically become a new reservation number. I've read some say it won't, but I'm not willing to risk changing my position, especially since there is still no way to know if the dual motors will be nearly a year later than the tri.

If the delay for dual motor is only a month or so, that's one thing, but some people online think it could be nearly a year later... hence the subject of this thread.

I understand the need to ship in regions for logistic purposes, but those in the same region with a lower reservation number should get the first chance to place orders, and if needed change their motor choice based without affecting their position.

Basically, our choice of motor style should be used for them to measure the approximate ratio of buyer preference, but we should be able to make the final choice when we order.

Even if a large number of people change their preference, it won't disrupt their parts allocations. If I change from dual to tri, it will be offset by others doing the reverse and even a massive shift won't leave them with unused parts... there are over a million reservations.... plenty to go around.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Idea Of The Day

Idea Of The Day

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ideaoftheday.com
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag

Julien

First Name
Julien
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Hyundai Palisade, Honda Accord, Reserved Dual Motor Cybertruck
Country flag
There are so many conflicting opinions about which orders will be shipping first and how the motor choice you made years ago will affect when you're actually able to take delivery.

The latest assumption is that somebody who placed a dual motor on the very first day will actually wait longer than somebody who placed a tri-motor months later. That's crazy.

A lot of people say that the best option is to change your order to a tri-motor, but others warn that unless it's done right, there's a risk that you'll end up at the end of the line. That's crazy too... especially since the original order page made no mention that the tri-motor would be first.

So, rather than speculate, I tweeted to Elon Musk that they should call people in order, regardless of their choice in 2019... and ask them if they wanted to stick with the dual and wait... or change to a tri-motor and take delivery sooner.

If you got a call today from Tesla, asking you to choose:

1) Keep your existing dual motor order and wait 6-12 months longer.
or
2) Change it to a tri-motor... would you do it? I know I would, and there are probably others that would.

Perhaps if enough of us simply asked Tesla to consider this, they would make a ton of extra money from people like me who would chose to upgrade.
Delivering The Cybertruck based on order number is quite frankly stupid. Why would they ship out the first Cybertruck to the west coast, then the east, then the south, that would make less than zero sense.

Plus, a good amount of Cybertruck reservations are from people who aren't even in the US and won't be getting the beast where they are. Also, Elon has said that the single motor has by far the least reservations which means it might not even make it to production, and finally, the double and triple-motor Cybertrucks are being produced simultaneously.

OP
OP
Idea Of The Day

Idea Of The Day

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ideaoftheday.com
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
Delivering The Cybertruck based on order number is quite frankly stupid. Why would they ship out the first Cybertruck to the west coast, then the east, then the south, that would make less than zero sense.

Plus, a good amount of Cybertruck reservations are from people who aren't even in the US and won't be getting the beast where they are. Also, Elon has said that the single motor has by far the least reservations which means it might not even make it to production, and finally, the double and triple-motor Cybertrucks are being produced simultaneously.
You're taking what I said too literally.

They should definitely manage the reservations based on region, but if my next door neighbor orders a CyberTruck with a tri-motor nearly a year after I ordered a dual, he shouldn't get to order his first, just because he chose tri-motor. If a tri motor is made available in my area, I should be given first crack at getting it because of my earlier reservation.

The basis of what I wrote is that there are conflicting opinions of what will be made first. Some people are speculating that dual motor production could be 6 months to a year after tri-motor. Phone calls to two Tesla offices were dead ends. No official word, but they both said based on past history, higher end models are always made first.

The widely used Google Spreadsheet has a column for estimated delivery date. When I saw the estimates for people who literally made a reservation for a dual just before the announcement were nearly a year later than those who ordered a dual months later, I started to question my original choice.

I've read quite a few people in forums and YouTube comments say they wanted to change their choice because they didn't know at the time that the dual could *potentially* ship much later. Some said they managed to change without changing position, others (including the Tesla office in NJ) said that changing the choice would definitely move me to the end of the line as it would essentially create a new reservation.

With all this in mind, all I'm saying is that if the rumors are true, and there is a long delay for dual, I think a lot of people would change their order to tri, if asked... not skipped.

empiredown

Banned
Banned
First Name
Stacy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
19 Carrera T, 20 MY LR AWD, 21 F-150
Occupation
Retired and Loving It...
Country flag
I vote for Coopers in Llano.
This was my exact thought... Plenty of parking in the side streets, which will be needed. Although all the places in Lockhart could work as well...

SS

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
They should definitely manage the reservations based on region, but if my next door neighbor orders a CyberTruck with a tri-motor nearly a year after I ordered a dual, he shouldn't get to order his first, just because he chose tri-motor. If a tri motor is made available in my area, I should be given first crack at getting it because of my earlier reservation.
So long as Tesla is reasonably transparent about this before they start the process, I'll be happy.

I changed my dual to tri motor mostly because I want the range, but also in part because I want to get the truck sooner. If having the truck sooner is important and you can afford the difference, then just change your reservation. It doesn't change your reservation number or place in line (or if it does, I'll be screwed with you).

It is a bit frustrating that there are so many question marks in this process. But I can say for certain that the actual RN number does not change if you go from dual to tri because I've done it.
Sponsored