Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yugo
Country flag
Hey, here's a time saving tip:
Next time, just type "IDK".
That's shorthand for what you wrote.
We had a similar concern at our beach condo for rental guests. I installed a covered and locked 14-50 amp receptacle which can be shut off via the breaker inside the house. Cheaper than a wall CONNECTOR and is Low-Profile. Guest just use their own type mobile cord and all is good. But if you wanted to go with the Tesla Wall Connector there are large enclosed electrical cabinets that can be locked to cover the whole system.

Lowes

Tesla Cybertruck TESLA Wall charger SECURITY 1651679115097

WW Grainger

Tesla Cybertruck TESLA Wall charger SECURITY 1651679482665

Enclosure: 1/4 Turn Latch, 36 in Nominal Enclosure Ht, 30 in Nominal Enclosure Width
Sponsored

Last edited:

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
Yes easily removable...4 little screws and the whole face plate and charging cable can be removed as a single piece.
Yes, but if you do that, you don't get the whole charging point. And, as pointed out, the wires will be live.

And the QR code to control it can be removed so it cannot be re-registered.

-Crissa

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
As pointed out, anything can be disassembled, torn open, or cut.

I suggested a box, here's one designed for the whole thing:
https://www.amazon.com/YONZEE-Organizer-Accessories-Third-Generation-Connector/dp/B09PD9N6KR/

But, that's more expensive, you could just go with something low profile (and less obvious) and use a mobile charger to the same effect.
https://www.amazon.com/RVGUARD-Weatherproof-Electrical-Receptacle-Motorhome/dp/B083LFF2Q1/

It's up to you what you choose. I gave you the answer on the first page that's been repeated several times.

-Crissa

Newton

First Name
Newton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
p̶r̶i̶u̶s̶ c̶,̶ y̶o̶t̶a̶ p̶i̶c̶k̶u̶p, ⼕丫⻏?尺セ尺ㄩ⼕长
Country flag
OP
OP

sirfartsalot

Banned
Banned
First Name
Baldar
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Outback, Honda Pilot, Toyota MR2 Spyder
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Country flag
i got interested, it looks likes theres bolts into your wall, then the tesla box screws into that, with what seems to be relatively easily removable screws. video... https://youtube.com/clip/UgkxVoWwSkze1nSJjYBRz-SGdIK47o_DrBcb

it also seems like the OP knew this already, lol
Yes, I did know that "it looks like..."
I watched that same video and drew the same conclusion. However, I do not have access to a wall charger to confirm. I thought maybe someone on this board could confirm that. So if the charger is removed from the wall box, the cable ends are still firmly attached in their terminals in that base. Not sure how safe that leaves it if the power is still energized, but they're not just dangling out there looking for someone to electrocute.

Newton

First Name
Newton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
p̶r̶i̶u̶s̶ c̶,̶ y̶o̶t̶a̶ p̶i̶c̶k̶u̶p, ⼕丫⻏?尺セ尺ㄩ⼕长
Country flag
I watched that same video and drew the same conclusion. However, I do not have access to a wall charger to confirm. I thought maybe someone on this board could confirm that. So if the charger is removed from the wall box, the cable ends are still firmly attached in their terminals in that base. Not sure how safe that leaves it if the power is still energized, but they're not just dangling out there looking for someone to electrocute.
makes sense, I would suggest offering this info before hand to get better answers

John K

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt, CT reserve day 2
Country flag

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I guess I’m making security charger covers in the shape of the CT. We are all salivating for the CT. I will make billions. (Plus, my markup will seem like this is a SpaceX product)
That's not a bad idea, as it would be an attractive shape anyhow.

-Crissa

John K

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt, CT reserve day 2
Country flag
That's not a bad idea, as it would be an attractive shape anyhow.

-Crissa
I read, I am attractively shaped so I am telling my wife what the internet thinks.

Please forgive, I am sleep deprived at the moment.

CyberMoose

First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
Country flag
So not going to read through 4 pages but it seems like no one wanted to answer the original question on the first page.

there are two screws on the top and two on the bottom, they aren't regular screws and Tesla gives a bit to screw them in/out.

I don't know why people were giving you a hard time, in the days where people are stealing catalytic converters in driveways and parking lots daily, I wouldn't put it past someone to unscrew a wall charger and pull it off, even if it is live.

I wasn't worried about security, but I do have a detached garage that I plan on demolishing in the next couple years, so I actually installed mine inside, cut a hole in the wall, passed the cord through and sealed it. I did a rough job but that is an option and could be done more professionally if you want added security. the 24' cable only loses a couple feet for me and i just have a cable organizer on the other side of the wall.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
So not going to read through 4 pages but it seems like no one wanted to answer the original question on the first page.

there are two screws on the top and two on the bottom, they aren't regular screws and Tesla gives a bit to screw them in/out.

I don't know why people were giving you a hard time, in the days where people are stealing catalytic converters in driveways and parking lots daily, I wouldn't put it past someone to unscrew a wall charger and pull it off, even if it is live.

I wasn't worried about security, but I do have a detached garage that I plan on demolishing in the next couple years, so I actually installed mine inside, cut a hole in the wall, passed the cord through and sealed it. I did a rough job but that is an option and could be done more professionally if you want added security. the 24' cable only loses a couple feet for me and i just have a cable organizer on the other side of the wall.
The answer was given, as the first reply.
Once installed, can the wall charger be (easily) dismounted from its base to keep it (and the cable) from being stolen? Anybody ?
It's bolted to the wall and registered to you in the software.

And while charging, the charge cable is locked to a Tesla.

That said, anything can be unbolted from the wall or just cut if thieves really want to. For the most part, I wouldn't consider worrying about it.
Even your through-the-wall solution exposes the non-live and high-copper segment to potential copper thieves.

And there's no point in using a wall charger if you want it mobile. That's what the mobile charger is for.

-Crissa

John K

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt, CT reserve day 2
Country flag
I read every page, read multiple answers, skimmed the insults from OP and now give the long awaited answer.

1. Mount to a plate to hang on wall for quick lift removal
2. Wire to a receptacle, male with pointy bits.
3. Mount female receptacle to wall, inner bits
4. Make sure female receptacle is illuminated, males tend to have trouble…errr… think plugging in USB in the dark
5. Done, you have just converted, for the most part, a wall charger into a mobile charger.

Alternate to using a plate

1. Rest wall charger on an old gas can
2. Make sure to have the gas can half full for weight and have an air gap for the flammable liquid gasoline. (@Crissa is about to type about liquid is not flammable, @Ogre is about to type gasoline vapor is flammable/explosive and their is no safe air gap. @charliemagpie and @Bill906 are putting on a face shield and making popcorn for the show)
3. Or, just buy a mobile charger and do not pay twice the price for a wall charger.

ED_SFO

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
M3
Country flag
All you would really need to do is to flip the breaker off for the wall charger, this will keep people that's running around with butter knives from electrocuting themselves.

CyberMoose

First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
Country flag
The answer was given, as the first reply.

Even your through-the-wall solution exposes the non-live and high-copper segment to potential copper thieves.

And there's no point in using a wall charger if you want it mobile. That's what the mobile charger is for.

-Crissa
The OP wanted to know the easy of stealing one. Saying it's bolted in would, in my opinion, give false hope. If I really wanted your wall charger, at least the valuable part of it, give me under 1 minute and i'll have it off the wall. All that would be left would be the wirebox which can be easily replaced on the Tesla shop if I wanted to resell it.
It's also not bolted, it's screwed. I don't need anything more than a screwdriver with two bit types to get the entire assembly off. Wouldn't be smart without taking the proper precautions of dealing with the live wires, which also wouldn't be overly hard.
Realistically someone could steal the entire assembly in about 2-3 minutes if they don't mind working around live wires.

But I still don't see why people were giving him a hard time. Theft is a huge worry depending where people live. Some towns or parts of towns you have to worry if your wheels will still be on the next day if you have a nice car in a bad neighborhood. I know in my county, catalytic converter thefts have been on the rise. My neighborhood is good but I still installed a security camera that can see my driveway from the backyard just in case anything happens.

Bill906

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep
Country flag
The OP wanted to know the easy of stealing one
The original poster was a bit vague in his question. There was some confusion. I believe he was actually asking how easy it would be for HIM to remove the wall charger so that when he was gone it wouldn’t be there to steal.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.