Lloyd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Leaf, MYLR, Kaw 1700 Vaquero
Occupation
Business Intelligence Manager & Analyst
Country flag
Slow down, dramatic improvement in range.

If I get 180 miles from my dual motor while towing or bed loaded/vault open, that is like 3 hours of driving (at slower speeds). Then taking a break for 30 to 45 minutes seems ok to me, but my personal needs/wants are not the same as everyone else.

I am also expecting many companies to create trailers that will fit into the frontal area 'shadow' of the Cybertruck, so that will help aerodynamics as well.

richardlpaul

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
We can't know, but EVs don't have as much energy to waste as internal combustion vehicles.

EVs are already pretty heavy because of the battery pack. So that's never a problem.

The Trimotor is probably the best option for towing because if its double range. The Dual will be okay but won't be able to get too far from power.

-Crissa
I did some calculations on the dual motor with towing and even the dual motor can make it charger to charger across I-10. Also consider when towing a camper (I’m planning on getting an airstream) that you will often be stopping at campgrounds with 30 and 50 amp outlets that can charge the CT.

rr6013

First Name
Rex
Threads
Reaction score
Website
shorttakes.substack.com
Vehicles
1997 Tahoe 2 door 4x4
Occupation
Retired software developer and heavy commercial design builder
Country flag
I did some calculations on the dual motor with towing and even the dual motor can make it charger to charger across I-10. Also consider when towing a camper (I’m planning on getting an airstream) that you will often be stopping at campgrounds with 30 and 50 amp outlets that can charge the CT.
Perhaps, missing in BEV is the flywheel effect ICE enjoy with rotating mass. Towing may push the flywheel back into use with a EV twist on momentum.

pagesix1536

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Nissan Leaf SL, 2014 Tesla Model S P85DL
Country flag
Does anyone think that the range numbers we were given are WITH a payload or trailer weight? They stated the range of the Semitruck like that. Why would we be mislead with the Cybertruck to believe that it won't be able to tow at least the paylod capacity of 3500 lbs for 500 miles on one charge with the tri-motor?

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
I did some calculations on the dual motor with towing and even the dual motor can make it charger to charger across I-10.
Yes, that's by design. But how much energy you lose to each trailer is still unknown; some will be exceedingly bad (like those toyhaulers that have the ramp sticking straight up in the air)

-Crissa

rr6013

First Name
Rex
Threads
Reaction score
Website
shorttakes.substack.com
Vehicles
1997 Tahoe 2 door 4x4
Occupation
Retired software developer and heavy commercial design builder
Country flag
Does anyone think that the range numbers we were given are WITH a payload or trailer weight? They stated the range of the Semitruck like that. Why would we be mislead with the Cybertruck to believe that it won't be able to tow at least the paylod capacity of 3500 lbs for 500 miles on one charge with the tri-motor?
NOPE…you’re the first I’ve heard who thinks that specification was for a fully loaded maximum weighted vehicle range.

Why? IDK how anyone bridges from published mfgrs base specification to maximums. If the assertion is that Elon was leading the public to believe Tesla Cybertruck would tow 16000 lbs. AND go 500mi. on one charge… then its a small leap in imagination to assume Cybertruck could easily haul 3500lbs. 500mi on a single charge.

You obviously witnessed the Semi launch. I did not. Semi is a purpose-built and engineered truck that does only one thing - haul. When it is not hauling a trailer in-tow, a Semi with a trailer attached or not is “deadheading”. SO I believe that Elon would quote specifications for exactly that purpose which it was engineered not deadheading.

A pickup is dual-use not single purpose. It is empty or loaded. Pickups don’t deadhead. But similarly to a passenger car, pickup mfgr specifications normal and customary industry practice are quoted empty(i.e. curb weight) parked at a curb. In my lifetime, never have I known of an instance where a pickup specification referred to the pickup in its fully loaded maximum weighted capacity.

SO get back to me if you are correct on this and I’ll freeze my order on a CT3. That’s the steal of the millennia

Firetruck41

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2013 Leaf, 2017 Bolt, 2010 Ram 2500 Megacab
Country flag
Definitely not. Every trailer is of different weight, size, and aero. Towing one trailer you could see a 30% decrease in range, where another trailer could see a 70% decrease in range, way to many variables to make it "towing" range.

Also, at max tow with almost any trailer, I would guess you are as losing at least 50% range. If the numbers were "towing range". The battery would have to be 100% larger than all current predictions. I don't see that as realistic.

Brick

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mercedes G500, Ram 1500, Jeep Sahara,
Occupation
Owner Campurist LLC
Country flag
I am considering purchasing a camper trailer and wanted to ask people how they thought the Cybertruck would compare to a gas and diesel. I am getting dual motor. The added weight must help. 50% range impact?
On Towing I’m new to electric but not trailers . I build custom vintage travel trailers .

I’m Planning on towing with the tri motor (500+ mi range with no load ).
I’m anticipating 175 miles with zero range anxiety and plenty of juice left over to plug in a 30 amp trailer for a night of two . Trailer weight AND drag from wind resistance reduce range .
CT from a length width and weight standpoint, should make a good tow rig .
That said when towing with your CT , plan to stop more frequently to top off than your diesel pickup friends .

Tesla Cybertruck Towing Camping Trailers 0FAA3CBA-248A-4747-AEE3-87E700D137E6

Tesla Cybertruck Towing Camping Trailers 6A283038-FB72-4285-87AB-D760B0045DC1

ldjessee

First Name
Lloyd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Leaf, MYLR, Kaw 1700 Vaquero
Occupation
Business Intelligence Manager & Analyst
Country flag
I’m Planning on towing with the tri motor (500+ mi range with no load ).
I’m anticipating 175 miles with zero range anxiety and plenty of juice left over to plug in a 30 amp trailer for a night of two . Trailer weight AND drag from wind resistance reduce range .
CT from a length width and weight standpoint, should make a good tow rig .
That said when towing with your CT , plan to stop more frequently to top off than your diesel pickup friends .
Those look nice!

What is the range with the bicycle pulling? ;)

Aero is a bigger concern at highway speeds than weight. If the trailer could be made to be the same width as the Cybertruck with appropriate tapering width, it would help keep the frontal area down (a key factor to aero). If the front is done right and then ramped down at the back, it should really help keep the drag down (another key factor to aero).

Many people think you want it pointy at the front, but the bigger pay off is making it pointy at the back. Putting the air back with the least amount of turbulence is much more important and beneficial for aero and thus range.

I really hope the Cybertruck (and other EV trucks like the Rivian & EV F-150) causes trailer manufacturers to pay more attention to aero and make new models of trailers with aerodynamics and efficiency in mind. Many of the current trailers that are not much different than dragging a ancher behind the truck.

TomGriff

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
15 MS 70D, 17 Bolt Premier, CT Reserved, Yamaha T7
Country flag
Distance towing effectively will be dependent on how charging will be done. Dropping the trailer to use a supercharger will add significant time and effort to the trip. Even my pop-up trailer took 5-10 minutes to unhook/hook and my Dad's travel trailer with weight distributing hitches was 10-20 minutes. Doing either of those in rain or cold weather is miserable. There are only a few superchargers in my area that have even a single charger that can accommodate an attached trailer at all. If the charge port is in the front instead of the rear then it could be done but would block the road. I don't believe any of them had multiple spots that could take a trailer. If in fact charging requires dropping the trailer, it will require a pretty serious commitment to offset the hassle of towing. If my primary use were distance towing, I would stick with an ICE vehicle at this point in time.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
Seems like there's something wrong if the hitch takes 20 minutes to reset. It doesn't taken me twenty minutes to screw my roof rack on and put the bikes on it.

-Crissa

Galactus55

First Name
Gus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightng Lariat ER, 2014 Chevy Volt
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I've been talking with the Camp365 team and they just added a tesla range video on youtube.
Camp365 Electric Vehicle Range Test with Tesla Model Y
That is a nice video. But I believe they will be making trailer axles with electric motors that will assist the movement of the trailer. Depending on the number of axles on the trailer this will help the EV pull the trailer. Possibly eliminating the load on the EV. If the batteries in the camper trailer are large enough it could even extend the range of the combo vehicles.

4jamorgan

First Name
Joyce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Tesla Model X 75D
Occupation
Web Developer
Country flag
We can't know, but EVs don't have as much energy to waste as internal combustion vehicles.

EVs are already pretty heavy because of the battery pack. So that's never a problem.

The Trimotor is probably the best option for towing because if its double range. The Dual will be okay but won't be able to get too far from power.

-Crissa
Why did I just see this now? It is funny and cute at the same time.
Sponsored