Toyota BZ4X BEV with steer-by-wire by mid 2022, maybe Tesla add steer-by-wire to Cybertruck?

OP
OP

firsttruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
none
Country flag
When we go camping, we use all the storage in the car.

1635795543370.jpeg

Also noted… the Model 3 fruck is a lot smaller than the Model Y Frunk
Is the frunk sealed off from cabin air intake?

Could a propane leak get sucked into the cabin?
Sponsored

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Is the frunk sealed off from cabin air intake?

Could a propane leak get sucked into the cabin?
Given the choice between inside the cabin and inside the frunk I thought the frunk was the winner. Of course then someone pointed out it’s in the crumple zone there.

Overall, Propane is fairly safe to haul. I don’t worry overmuch about it. In the CT it’ll go inside the vault, maybe under the vault.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Now THAT is a great use for it. I've never camped at a place that a car can go, things are different everywhere.
It was a near thing for the Model Y. I’ve seriously consider lifting it a couple inches for trips like this. Just going to hold out at this point until the CT arrives to eliminate this sort of issue.

Tesla Cybertruck Toyota BZ4X BEV with steer-by-wire by mid 2022, maybe Tesla add steer-by-wire to Cybertruck? 1635797152397

My Subaru would have bounced over this with no trouble, but I kind of feel like pushing the limits of the MY.

OP
OP

firsttruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
none
Country flag
When we go camping, we use all the storage in the car.

1635795543370.jpeg

Also noted… the Model 3 fruck is a lot smaller than the Model Y Frunk
----------

In sunny & hot weather Tesla frunk temps get over 145F !!!!

propane supplier says
• NEVER store or place a propane cylinder in an area of excessive heat (120 degrees or higher)

----------

Looks like propane suppliers advise against all transport/store in both trunks & frunks no matter the temperature.

Tanks/cylinders have to be in well-ventilated passenger area with some windows partially rolled down (open).

Even home/portable oxygen cylinders should not be put in trunk but be in passenger area with windows partial down.

------------------

Ferrellgas - Important Propane Safety Information for users of small cylinders
Please read and follow the safety rules in this brochure. Share this information with your family to help keep everyone safe and to reduce the risk of serious and potentially fatal injury, fire, or explosion.
https://www.ferrellgas.com/media/1119/small_cylinder_safety.pdf

TRANSPORTING SMALL CYLINDERS

• ALWAYS transport and store a cylinder in a secure and upright position so it will not fall, shift, or roll.

• ALWAYS close the cylinder valve and, if required, seal with a plug, even if the cylinder is empty. Ask your propane retailer if a plug is required.

• NEVER keep a filled cylinder inside a hot vehicle or transport it inside a closed trunk.

• ALWAYS place the cylinder in a * well-ventilated area * of the vehicle.

• ALWAYS proceed directly to your destination and immediately remove the cylinder from your vehicle.

• The law places limits on the number of cylinders and the amount of propane that can be transported in closed-bodied vehicles such as passenger cars and vans. Ask your propane retailer for more information on state and local codes that apply to you.

STORING SMALL CYLINDERS

• NEVER store or place a propane cylinder indoors or in an enclosed area such as a basement, garage, shed, or tent.

• NEVER store or place a propane cylinder in an area of excessive heat (120 degrees or higher) or near a stove, fireplace, or other heat source. The heat builds up pressure inside the cylinder, which may cause the pressure relief valve to release propane. Flash fires or explosions can result from exposing cylinders to heat.

------------------

Propane Safety Tips
Nov 4, 2015
U-Haul

------------------

How to Travel with Oxygen in your Car
Nov 17, 2017
VITAS Healthcare

------------------

Propane tanks in car sparked garage explosion
Elm City, N.C. — Wilson County authorities said Wednesday that two propane tanks in a car trunk inside a home garage caused an explosion Tuesday evening that severely burned a man.
Posted May 19, 2010 4:28 p.m. EDT
Updated May 20, 2010 7:16 a.m. EDT
https://www.wral.com/news/local/story/7632727/

------------------

Last edited:
OP
OP

firsttruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
none
Country flag
It was a near thing for the Model Y. I’ve seriously consider lifting it a couple inches for trips like this. Just going to hold out at this point until the CT arrives to eliminate this sort of issue.

1635797152397.jpeg

My Subaru would have bounced over this with no trouble, but I kind of feel like pushing the limits of the MY.
To gain more ground clearance you can get lift kit & larger wheels/tires for model Y.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
To gain more ground clearance you can get lift kit & larger wheels/tires for model Y.
I know… about $2500 for the wheels, and the lift kit is similar price if you want to increase travel as well as just clearance. Plus the efficiency hit. I keep going back and forth. Maybe when Tesla hits $1300 I’ll pull the trigger. Not doing much camping over the winter regardless.

Deleted member 12457

----------

In sunny & hot weather Tesla frunk temps get over 145F !!!!

propane supplier says
• NEVER store or place a propane cylinder in an area of excessive heat (120 degrees or higher)

----------

Looks like propane suppliers advise against all transport/store in both trunks & frunks no matter the temperature.

Tanks/cylinders have to be in well-ventilated passenger area with some windows partially rolled down (open).

Even home/portable oxygen cylinders should not be put in trunk but be in passenger area with windows partial down.

------------------

Ferrellgas - Important Propane Safety Information for users of small cylinders
Please read and follow the safety rules in this brochure. Share this information with your family to help keep everyone safe and to reduce the risk of serious and potentially fatal injury, fire, or explosion.
https://www.ferrellgas.com/media/1119/small_cylinder_safety.pdf

TRANSPORTING SMALL CYLINDERS

• ALWAYS transport and store a cylinder in a secure and upright position so it will not fall, shift, or roll.

• ALWAYS close the cylinder valve and, if required, seal with a plug, even if the cylinder is empty. Ask your propane retailer if a plug is required.

• NEVER keep a filled cylinder inside a hot vehicle or transport it inside a closed trunk.

• ALWAYS place the cylinder in a * well-ventilated area * of the vehicle.

• ALWAYS proceed directly to your destination and immediately remove the cylinder from your vehicle.

• The law places limits on the number of cylinders and the amount of propane that can be transported in closed-bodied vehicles such as passenger cars and vans. Ask your propane retailer for more information on state and local codes that apply to you.

STORING SMALL CYLINDERS

• NEVER store or place a propane cylinder indoors or in an enclosed area such as a basement, garage, shed, or tent.

• NEVER store or place a propane cylinder in an area of excessive heat (120 degrees or higher) or near a stove, fireplace, or other heat source. The heat builds up pressure inside the cylinder, which may cause the pressure relief valve to release propane. Flash fires or explosions can result from exposing cylinders to heat.

------------------

Propane Safety Tips
Nov 4, 2015
U-Haul

------------------

How to Travel with Oxygen in your Car
Nov 17, 2017
VITAS Healthcare

------------------

Propane tanks in car sparked garage explosion
Elm City, N.C. — Wilson County authorities said Wednesday that two propane tanks in a car trunk inside a home garage caused an explosion Tuesday evening that severely burned a man.
Posted May 19, 2010 4:28 p.m. EDT
Updated May 20, 2010 7:16 a.m. EDT
https://www.wral.com/news/local/story/7632727/

------------------
Totally agree. You never put a propane tank in any non-vented enclosure. I mount my 11 gal propane tank on my truck rack when I go camping. Easy to remove when using it with a camp stove. Used a typical water heater strap attached through a homemade tank holder that's bolted to rack mount. It isn't coming off. I presume I could do the same sort of thing with the CT.

Tesla Cybertruck Toyota BZ4X BEV with steer-by-wire by mid 2022, maybe Tesla add steer-by-wire to Cybertruck? IMG_3396

OP
OP

firsttruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
none
Country flag
---------------------

Stay safe everybody

Even when propane tank/cylinder main valve is correctly closed and outlet opening capped, the Relief Valve can vent/release gas!!

Tanks/cylinders must always kept in vertical orientation

---------------------

What Are Propane Tank Safety Relief Valves (gas vents) ?
Written on: April 19, 2021
https://www.boehlkebgcorp.com/propane-tank-safety-relief-valve/

All propane tanks, including the cylinders you use for your grill, are required by law to have pressure relief devices that allow for the release of excess pressure inside the tank.

The safety relief valve is designed to protect your propane tank from rupturing in case excess pressure builds up in the tank. It is also called a pop-off valve, pressure-venting valve, or a relief valve.

---------------------

Propane Safety and High Country Propane
https://highcountrypropane.com/safety/

Why is my propane tank venting?
Propane tanks should always transported in an upright position. The pressure relief valve of a propane tank vents vapor when the tank is upright but it will vent liquid propane if the valve is in the liquid space of the tank.

------------------------

OP
OP

firsttruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
none
Country flag
Totally agree. You never put a propane tank in any non-vented enclosure. I mount my 11 gal propane tank on my truck rack when I go camping. Easy to remove when using it with a camp stove. Used a typical water heater strap attached through a homemade tank holder that's bolted to rack mount. It isn't coming off. I presume I could do the same sort of thing with the CT.

IMG_3396.jpeg
Maybe need longer thin cylinder shape tank to attach to Cybertruck sail panel.

Last edited:

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
The air intake is underneath the frunk, but doesn't seem to pull in smells from there.

The biggest problem is if there's no air/water drain at the bottom, where propane will pool.

-Crissa

SwampNut

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla M3LR, Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Geek
Country flag
The biggest problem is if there's no air/water drain at the bottom
If there were, it would make the frunk useful for one thing...beer cooler. 100% of men, when asked what the frunk was good for, answered "beer cooler."