Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I own a 2006 Toyota Tacoma and 2018 Tesla Model 3,
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I have been unable to find if the cybertruck comes with a towing trailer brake assist. Does anyone know if this is a confirmed feature or not available. Any links on the subject
Or a 7 pin plug. I would imagine it would be easy to include a Brake Assist setting on the control screen for my Travel Trailer with Electric Brakes. You think the Tesla Engineers own Travel Trailers?
Sponsored

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Tesla Model 3 LR
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
If it is a common feature for towing I am sure that Tesla will have it. They don't want to be caught with their pants down after Elon made such a big deal about it being a great truck for towing and offroading. I am just tired of waiting for the features/specs list, let alone the truck.

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla X LR+, Lexus SUV, Toyota SR5, Toyota Landcruiser
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
Musk has, at various times, promised special goodies for towing with the CT. I have no idea what he has in mind, of course, but given that the truck will be equipped with accelerometers etc. it would be a simple matter to incorporate brake control and sway control into the vehicle's software. Were the tow hitch attachment equipped with strain gauges the mind boggles at what they might do.

Dirt Worker

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Corvair Corsa, Mini Cooper, T880 Kenworth, CT
Occupation
Excavation Company
Country flag
I don't think (someone correct me if I'm wrong) a typical aftermarket brake controller will work with a Tesla. The way I remember it, the aftermarket controller had a sensor or connection to the brake pedal. The harder you press the brake pedal the harder the controller would tell the trailer to brake. With a Tesla the brake pedal isn't the only way (or even the main way) you command the vehicle to decelerate. With the aftermarket brake controllers I remember, the trailer brake would not be activated when decelerating by letting off on the accelerator pedal on a Tesla vehicle.
Regenerative braking in a CT will be similar to compression braking in a semi. The drive axle will absorb most inertia until supplemental braking is required. The advantages are reduced potential brake fade and pad wear, battery life extended.

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla X LR+, Lexus SUV, Toyota SR5, Toyota Landcruiser
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
Regenerative braking in a CT will be similar to compression braking in a semi. The drive axle will absorb most inertia until supplemental braking is required. The advantages are reduced potential brake fade and pad wear, battery life extended.
This is the sort of thing I have in mind when I contemplate what the CT could do if we get the good stuff Elon promised. There is a limit as to how much regen the battery can absorb. Battery charge rate is generally limited to about C whereas discharge rate can be several times C. Check the power meter on your current Tesla if you have one. Clearly the regen braking load for a trailer loaded to 3 times the weight of the tow vehicle will result in exceeding the maximum regen absorbing ability of the battery by 4 should one be going down a hill steep enough that the truck without the trailer would be at the limit. On less steep hills or in more mild deccelleration conditions on level roads even slowing the trailer plus truck would be within limits. A CT compatible trailer brake controller would take this into account. It would, upon decelleration, apply no trailer braking until such time as the regen limit was approached. It would then apply trailer brake as necessary to keep regen within bounds (all the time monitoring for sway).

With the old style pendulum type controller the driver would have to do this function. He would operate the controller gain control to keep the regen power within limits.

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Tesla Model 3 LR
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
Musk has, at various times, promised special goodies for towing with the CT. I have no idea what he has in mind, of course, but given that the truck will be equipped with accelerometers etc. it would be a simple matter to incorporate brake control and sway control into the vehicle's software. Were the tow hitch attachment equipped with strain gauges the mind boggles at what they might do.
Welcome back sir.
Sponsored