David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 P100S, Cybertruck ordered
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Agreed. And if they offer a “long range” dual motor, it’ll be priced high enough that most people will just to with the tri motor anyway.
Agreed. What is possible, or probable, is that the 300 is actually 320-340, with a real world figure of 280. The 500 could easily be 480 with a real world figure of 450. I have miles to go before I sleep...
Sponsored

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla X LR+, Lexus SUV, Toyota SR5, Toyota Landcruiser
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
Does anyone know what gives the trimotor the additional range? Anything to do with the fact it has additional motor or Is because it will with an upgraded battery package?
It's the battery. The motors are all pretty efficient. There won't, therefore, be appreciable overall efficiency delta in changing the number of motors. These trucks are going to run on 400 - 500 Wh/mi be they 2 or 3 motor.

drcarric2650

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
98 F150
Country flag
It's the battery. The motors are all pretty efficient. There won't, therefore, be appreciable overall efficiency delta in changing the number of motors. These trucks are going to run on 400 - 500 Wh/mi be they 2 or 3 motor.
I agree, it will be just a little extra weight, and considering the truck is estimated to be over 6000 lbs, It will be a drop in the bucket.

jebinc

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Tesla M3, LR AWD Cybertruck on order, 2020 Suburu Outback XT Limited
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
DM AWD with 500 range here, please! Hopefully in two years, Tesla will have figured that out!

OP
OP
David R Kirkpatrick

David R Kirkpatrick

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
DM AWD with 500 range here, please! Hopefully in two years, Tesla will have figured that out!
We will know a whole lot more after Tesla Battery and Drivetrain Investor Day, next year, where, Elon teased, there will be “(mostly) unexpected technology announcements”. Go Elon!

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Tesla Model 3 LR
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
The tri-motor uses a dual layer battery technology so it will effectively have twice as many cells as the 1-motor truck. Sadly, I don’t remember where I saw/read this.

OP
OP
David R Kirkpatrick

David R Kirkpatrick

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
The tri-motor uses a dual layer battery technology so it will effectively have twice as many cells as the 1-motor truck. Sadly, I don’t remember where I saw/read this.
Yea, I saw that too. My hope is that was plan B, and new batery tech is plan A. New - meaning more dense, (no double stack necessary) and lasting a million miles, less or no Cobalt, even dry.

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Tesla Model 3 LR
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
Yea, I saw that too. My hope is that was plan B, and new batery tech is plan A. New - meaning more dense, (no double stack necessary) and lasting a million miles, less or no Cobalt, even dry.
That would be nice but Plan B at least gets us 500 miles. Anything better than that is a gift (and I mean along all the metrics you suggest - safety, efficiency, longevity, environmentally friendly, and performance).

checho

First Name
sergio
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MB 300SD, MB 240D, Silverado 2003, cybertruck tri-motor on queue, elio on queue.
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
The tri motor will have much better traction since it will use "plaid mode" in which each rear wheel will have its own motor, and a battery pack of twice the capacity of the single motor. You need to take into consideration that the 500 mile range is at full charge, but to make the battery pack last an 80% charge is recommended which makes the effective range 400miles, and if you live on extreme cold weather, drive very fast, or do heavy towing that will also cut your range, and over time it will be normal for the battery to loose capacity, towing alone can reduce the range to half, for all these reasons I believe the tri motor is the best choice for off road, cold weather, snow, towing, and long distance driving.

First Name
Bobby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S P85
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag
I have changed my order several times and can’t make up my mind. Currently back to Trimotor. Here are my criteria:
I do no towing, minimal hauling, speed is not something I’m into, little off roading, price is small consideration, def FSD.
The trimotor seems like it will last longer, have better resale or trade value, obviously longer range for road trips and camping.
Dual is cheaper, not as much power, lower resale or trade value, shorter range for road and camping trips, maybe I could add more extras to dual (at lower price point) like solar, wheels, interior, def FSD.

Do you think that Trimotor will have other drive train enhancements besides just three motors?
What is your thinking?
I'm getting the Tri-Motor with Solar and FSD.

I'm not in speed piece of it but I own a P85 and everybody wants to race you. So its nice to put them to shame.

Better resale and you have a lot of room for the small amount of battery degradation that will happen....it is usually about 5%.

Go camping or park it outside your house 15 - 40 more miles. On a daily basis you may not need to plug it in!

tri, fsd and solar if price is a small consideration this is a no brainer.

Skidmarks68

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Tundra
Occupation
Radtech
Country flag
I chose the Dual because if one engine fails you have another. I also average about 120 miles a week so the tri would be a waste for my daily. I would literally charge once a week.

muadib

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Explorer
Country flag
Put my order in on a tri today. I don't know if I will buy or lease. I have 2+ years to decide...

spid7154

First Name
Ramon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
17 Silverado, 71 Monte Carlo, 54 Bel Air
Occupation
Finance Mgr
Country flag
I went tri for the range. Patiently waiting for the updates and options. The dual might fit most needs but the 500 range is enticing...

drcarric2650

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
98 F150
Country flag
Put my order in on a tri today. I don't know if I will buy or lease. I have 2+ years to decide...
My guess is that you will have 3 years or more to decide. Seemed like I was around 430,000th in line a couple of weeks ago.
Sponsored