A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla X LR+, Lexus SUV, Toyota SR5, Toyota Landcruiser
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
Sure, if 9600 pixels is enough for you. Even 320 x 256 is 76,800 pixels and costs about $500 US for a unit that mates with your smart phone. If you want a real far IR camera with some real resolution prepare to pay thousands. Even tens of thousands.
Sponsored

JBee

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
. Professional Hobbyist
Country flag
Sure, if 9600 pixels is enough for you. Even 320 x 256 is 76,800 pixels and costs about $500 US for a unit that mates with your smart phone. If you want a real far IR camera with some real resolution prepare to pay thousands. Even tens of thousands.
With sensor fusion with a CMOS camera it doesn't need to be a high resolution camera for useable results. Brings the cost down.

dkositsky

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Realestaye management
Country flag
If range is your priority concern spring for the tri-motor. You can probably swing the number fairly wide given driving conditions, speed, even ambient humidity can effect things with an EV. Due to the efficiency of the motors you end up seeing all of these effects in a magnifying fashion compared to ICE vehicles.

The other thing to consider is that the sweet spot for EVs is somewhere between 30 and 50 mph from what I've seen, where most ICE cars are optimized between 55 and 65.
I donot need the crazy performance of three motors. Whst I want is a long range duel motor. I would pay more but not 20k more.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
I donot need the crazy performance of three motors. Whst I want is a long range duel motor. I would pay more but not 20k more.
The rumor is that the tri-motor has a double-size battery pack, so most of the cost of the tri-motor is the battery.

-Crissa

happy intruder

First Name
O. K.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3 Jun 2019..... Model S Jan 2020
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
The rumor is that the tri-motor has a double-size battery pack, so most of the cost of the tri-motor is the battery.

-Crissa
Crissa.......what is the rating ion the battery (100kW or larger)

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Curious thing, but somehow the industry sort of settled on $100/ mile as the cost of range increases.

Cybertruck Dual to Tri+200 miles$20,000
Ford F150 "Extended" battery+70 miles$7,000
Tesla Model Y SR->LR+70 miles$7,000
Tesla Model 3 SR -> LR+90 miles$9,000
Mustang Mach E -> "Extended Range"+70 miles$5,000
Rivian R1T -> "Max Pack"+100 miles$10,000

The Mach E is the big exception and even that is $66/ mile range increase. The rest it's almost as if the industry is in lockstep on the price for increasing range.

Last edited:

JBee

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
. Professional Hobbyist
Country flag
Curious thing, but somehow the industry sort of settled on $100/ mile as the cost of range increases.

Cybertruck Dual to Tri+200 miles$20,000
Ford F150 "Extended" battery+70 miles$7,000
Tesla Model Y SR->LR+70 miles$7,000
Tesla Model 3 SR -> LR+90 miles$9,000
Mustang Mach E -> "Extended Range"+70 miles$5,000
Rivian R1T -> "Max Pack"+100 miles$10,000

The Mach E is the big exception and even that is $66/ mile range increase. The rest it's almost as if the industry is in lockstep on the price for increasing range.
It's probably a combination of the fact battery suppliers are competitive, and have similar $/kWh prices that the car manufacturers pass on, with a few tweaks to make sure they're competitive with Tesla?

If that is the case, then we can also deduct the 100kWh pack from the SM CT and that means they are building the rest of the CT for under $20k. That's not bad considering it's size. I wonder what the most profitable parts are.

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla X LR+, Lexus SUV, Toyota SR5, Toyota Landcruiser
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
In theory, at least, the third motor increases efficiency somewhat and thus contributes to range. The argument is that with two motors each draws 1/2 the current needed to produce the requisite power and thus is subject to I^2R loss of (1/4)*I*I*R for a total of 2*(1/4)*I*I*R. With three motors each draws (1/3)*I and is subject to loss of (1/9)*I*I*R with the total being 3*(1/9)*I*I*R. The ratio is (3/9)/(2/4) = (1/3)/(1/2) = 2/3 and thus these losses are cut by 33%.

what is the rating ion the battery (100kW or larger)
It's not difficult to bound the battery sizes from what we know about the performance. The rated consumption is thought to be between 400 and 450 Wh/mi. With published rated range of 500 miles the battery size is thus 200 - 220 kWh for the Tri and, with its range of 300 mi, 120 - 135 kWh for the 4WD and for the RWD with its range of 250 miles, 100 - 112.5 kWh.

Last edited:

DrPhyzx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bolt EV, Ariel Atom
Occupation
particle physicist
Country flag
In theory, at least, the third motor increases efficiency somewhat and thus contributes to range. The argument is that with two motors each draws 1/2 the current needed to produce the requisite power and thus is subject to I^2R loss of (1/4)*I*I*R for a total of 2*(1/4)*I*I*R. With three motors each draws (1/3)*I and is subject to loss of (1/9)*I*I*R with the total being 3*(1/9)*I*I*R. The ratio is (3/9)/(2/4) = (1/3)/(1/2) = 2/3 and thus these losses are cut by 33%.

It's not difficult to bound the battery sizes from what we know about the performance. The rated consumption is thought to be between 400 and 450 Wh/mi. With published rated range of 500 miles the battery size is thus 200 - 220 kWh for the Tri and, with its range of 300 mi, 120 - 135 kWh for the 4WD and for the RWD with its range of 250 miles, 100 - 112.5 kWh.
Resistive losses in the motors are such a small component of total energy use that I have to wonder if this is more than offset by additional weight and mechanical friction in the driveline. In any case, I imagine the difference in range with equal battery packs would be too small to be of any practical benefit.
Sponsored