Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3, Model Y, Cybertruck AWD
Occupation
Consultant
Country flag
Honestly, I'm not sure why anyone here cares. You have a place in line for an agreed upon price. If someone sells their CT to someone else for a profit, how does that impact any of us in line? It doesn't. If someone can afford the markup on a "scalped" CT good for them and their bad financial decisions. Unlike scalpers who can buy all the concert tickets, people can't buy up all available CT and sell them at a higher price. There is a queue and you are safely in line at your agreed upon price. Let the scalpers scalp. IT DOESN'T AFFECT YOU!
Why wouldn't they be able to buy up a lot of Cybertrucks?

It DOES EFFECT everyone in line. Because of everyone scalped, that's a longer wait.
Sponsored

Armyintel96b

First Name
Christian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3 performance
Country flag
Why wouldn't they be able to buy up a lot of Cybertrucks?

It DOES EFFECT everyone in line. Because of everyone scalped, that's a longer wait.
For the same reason you can't. Everyone is in line. I'm sure you have even seen that TSLA was canceling orders for people that had multiple orders. What you do with a CT after you purchase is SHOULD be up to you.

Woodrick

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3, Model Y, Cybertruck AWD
Occupation
Consultant
Country flag
For the same reason you can't. Everyone is in line. I'm sure you have even seen that TSLA was canceling orders for people that had multiple orders. What you do with a CT after you purchase is SHOULD be up to you.
What an argument to defend your point with.

Yep, Tesla has implemented a multi-pronged strategy to keep scalping down.

1) Include resale clause
2) Restrict sales

There have been too many situations lately where vehicle scalping has occurred. A big player in the scalping playbook has been the dealers, who just jack up the price. And then people who buy and scalp. It's a lucrative market.

And one that hurts the average person.

With Tesla's order language, an average person should have no problems selling the vehicle if they don't like it. But they will have problems if they want to make extra money off of it.

HaulingAss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 F-150, 2018 Model 3 P, FS DM Cybertruck
Country flag
Until your company makes a product as revolutionary as the Cybertruck, you have no right to dictate the terms of the sale of that product.

Are you saying Tesla doesn't have the right to dictate the terms of the sale of a product THEY own? Why do you think the BUYER should be able to dictate the terms of sale of an item they don't even own? The only leverage the buyer has is to not buy it.

And that is why the "no resale" clause is working so well. Because people who wanted to flip for a profit are declining to buy it. That's good for people like me who are waiting patiently in line. Anyone who says flipping for a profit has no impact on me is missing a few marbles.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
I haven't seen any evidence to support any notion that they actually care about gamers. I've lost track of the news stories from Gamers Nexus, Linus Tech Tips, et al, exposing the business practices of Nvidia over the past 4 years.
Yeah, rumors, innuendo, and bullshit.

I'd like to think they won't take it out on the new owner, but until it gets tested we won't know how they address it.
That's established law. Unless the buyer knows they're buying stolen goods, or had reason to know it was stolen, they're innocent and the aggrieved party has no recourse to force them to give it up.

who really cares what people do with their cars?
Tesla.

If their vehicles don't get used, they don't get data, and can't make the vehicles better.

-Crissa

Last edited:

Bartman

First Name
Bart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3, Model Y
Country flag
I say, if you have an early reservation, just order one when you can and then maybe you can sell it, 366 days after you take delivery, and make a profit.

Cyberman

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150,F550, Escape
Occupation
Cybercontractor
Country flag
Why would the contract not be valid?
As a corporate lawyer since the 1990's, I...no, not really. I dunno. I just figure once you buy it, it's YOURS, and you can do as you please. At least, that's what I think. Tesla has enough on their plate, and probably won't stir the hornets nest just for a few extra ducats. Have these waters been tested?

Coltpete

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
Country flag
This topic is so dumb. Everyone who is "selling it" just does a 12 month lease with a buyout. Nobody is the wiser. This person selling isn't doing anything in violation of the resale agreement by listing it for sale, it's only when they "sell" it which triggers the clause.

People should be allowed to flip these if they'd like. This is not a super small or extremely exclusive production like the Ford GT. This is a mass production truck and all of us have waited 4+ years for ours. Circumstances change over that time period and someone might want to or need to sell for a profit if possible.

OhmsLolEnforcement

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Model Y, 2013 Subaru BRZ
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
Companies are not deciding this. We are deciding to buy it based on that agreement. This is how agreements work. No one is forcing us to buy the vehicle and the vehicle is not necessary to live.

We should confuse freedom with honoring we agree to. This is not a private personal property issue. For example, you get a prescription from the doctor for OxyContin. You have no right to give it or sell it for more. Then someone will say, but that’s a law and not an agreement. Well there is something called contract law on the civil side.
If this were business-to-business, I'd agree with you. But this isn't. This is MegaCorp to consumer. This is the slippery slope to strings being attached to everything we "own". We need protections from this crap for the same reasons we need Right To Repair laws to protect consumers from anticompetitive business practices.

Let's not conflate controlled substances with commodities. Opiates have public health issues and there are actual laws to prevent reselling. More to the point - do you want to let drug companies decide/enforce when their drugs can be re-sold? I don't.

There's an existing answer to all of this - if Tesla doesn't want these vehicles re-sold in the first year, they don't have to sell them. Lease them with a lease-to-own structure.
Sponsored