Ty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'18 F150, '23 MY, '24 CT, '23 Maveric hybrid soon
Occupation
Operations Planner
Country flag
Don't forget that the vault is climate controlled or at least you CAN control the climate in there. It seems that if it were heated, it wouldn't get cold enough to freeze. Now, you cold weather people don't preach about the cold to me.... 4 years in Montana, 4 years at Minot AFB, North Dakota, 4 years in Nebraska, 4 years in Utah... I've seen cold. I also had a roll-top tonneau cover on my F350.
Sponsored

fritter63

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Model 3 LR, 2019 Model 3 SR+
Occupation
Retired Software Engineer, Woodworker and guitar builder extraordinaire
Country flag
cold climate package will need to be an option for sure. Here in CA i never think about that stuff ;)
But I think directing close proximity jets of heated a/c air to the vault rails could allow it to open with little time and energy usage, but where will the snow and ice go? Up on the top?
Honestly, I had a Pace Edwards rollup cover on my Dodge for 7 years in Denver, I can't remember it ever being an issue. BUT... the truck was garaged, and mostly used as one of those despised commuter trucks.

Roslyn

First Name
Roslyn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Isuzu Tracker II 1988, Ford Explorer 1993
Occupation
Anthropologist
Country flag
The problem for those of us living in the winter wonderland is that also the tailgate freezes (to the tonneau cover) also.
How did you get to know this, even before they've started making Cybertrucks ? (I probably live much further north than you ….)

fritter63

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Model 3 LR, 2019 Model 3 SR+
Occupation
Retired Software Engineer, Woodworker and guitar builder extraordinaire
Country flag
How did you get to know this, even before they've started making Cybertrucks ? (I probably live much further north than you ….)
I'm sure he's talking about current trucks and roll covers.

uff_da

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Don't forget that the vault is climate controlled or at least you CAN control the climate in there. It seems that if it were heated, it wouldn't get cold enough to freeze. Now, you cold weather people don't preach about the cold to me.... 4 years in Montana, 4 years at Minot AFB, North Dakota, 4 years in Nebraska, 4 years in Utah... I've seen cold. I also had a roll-top tonneau cover on my F350.
Did your tonneau cover spool up or was is the "folding" style? I am curious how thin layers of frost/ice will do as it spools up. Many of the covers I see are more of a fabric design (not rigid at least). My concern with rigid spool is all the ice, snow, mud, etc jamming it up.

I think all these concerns can be overcome with a good robust design, but I think it is somewhat new territory for Tesla, and to my eyes, I don't see a lot of real world testing that allows for good iteration of the design. Lots of smart people at Tesla so we will see what they come up with.

CyberBC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
04 Dodge Ram 3500, 2011 Chevy Volt
Occupation
Farrier
Country flag
It will be like any other vehicle. We will have to learn how to deal with it's limitations. With the cover in snow, I am thinking a good sweep off with a broom (while standing on it!), Then maybe a shot with the electric leaf blower to clear out any snow stuck in the roller gaps. Then a preheat to remove any ice in the gaps. Open and close the cover a few times to shake off any moisture left. Then good to go. I think it might be hopeful thinking that a pre-warm would be enough to clear snow and ice off the cover. Not sure how the Tesla's are at pre-warming in -20 but my Chevy volt takes a long time. I mostly use the seat warmers to survive. If the snow clear process becomes to tedious, I guess I will have to clear a space in the workshop! ?

First Name
Ralf
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3 & Cybertruck Tri-motor
Occupation
artist
Country flag
So here is a good one and maybe Tesla engineers need to think about those of us who don't live in California weather.

How well will the roll up cover work when covered in snow or ice?

What are your thoughts?
Like all traditional truck covers. If you have to remove it or open it.. you have to clear the snow off or whatever … dont sit it as a issue. Plus it could be heated to melt ice and snow.

Sirfun

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Avalon, Chrysler Pacifica PHEV, Ford E-250
Occupation
Retired Sheet Metal Worker
Country flag
Did your tonneau cover spool up or was is the "folding" style? I am curious how thin layers of frost/ice will do as it spools up. Many of the covers I see are more of a fabric design (not rigid at least). My concern with rigid spool is all the ice, snow, mud, etc jamming it up.

I think all these concerns can be overcome with a good robust design, but I think it is somewhat new territory for Tesla, and to my eyes, I don't see a lot of real world testing that allows for good iteration of the design. Lots of smart people at Tesla so we will see what they come up with.
Here's some real world testing that Tesla does. Lots of people have thought Tesla has been testing the Cybertruck at this military facility in Alaska. My thoughts, when I saw the CT on the test track at Fremont, were that Alaska may be shut down for the winter.

TyPope

First Name
Ty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'18 F150, '23 MY, '24 CT, '23 Maveric hybrid soon
Occupation
Operations Planner
Country flag

It spoiled up into a cannisters. It was a Pace Edwards Jackrabbit for reference. I don't remember having any issues with it in the cold or snow but I also didn't open it on a regular basis. Where it went into it's canister, there was a close gap. I suppose that would keep out most of the ice. With the vault being able to be heated, if it were kept just above freezing, there wouldn't be much of a problem. There are several companies who make the aluminum slat style roll-up covers that Tesla could learn from. Hopefully, Tesla finds out what works best and incorporates that into the Cybertruck.

Quipster

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Industrial Waste Analyst III
Country flag
So here is a good one and maybe Tesla engineers need to think about those of us who don't live in California weather.

How well will the roll up cover work when covered in snow or ice?

What are your thoughts?
You'll need to clear it like your windshield

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
It is traditional for truck and SUV owners to just drive off with whatever snow accumulation is on top of the their vehicle. This inevitably leads to large half-frozen chunks of snow and ice flying off the roof of vehicles at 70 miles per hour and striking vehicles behind you. This is ok though because they are behind you and unlikely to have your license plate number.

The amount of time and effort spent ignoring these huge ice blocks on the backs of trucks and roofs is worth whatever small financial damage other individuals must pay.

Disclaimer: This post is meant as satire.

Last edited:

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
It is traditional for truck and SUV owners to just drive off with whatever snow accumulation is on top of the their vehicle. This inevitably leads to large half-frozen chunks of snow and ice flying off the roof of vehicles at 70 miles per hour and striking vehicles behind you. This is ok though because they are behind you and unlikely to have your license plate number.

The amount of time and effort spent ignoring these huge ice blocks on the backs of trucks and roofs is worth whatever small financial damage other individuals must pay.
Footnote: It's a moving violation in most states to drive off with snow or ice on your roof. And you're liable for any damages in addition. The amount and penalties vary from state to state.

People have been killed, and police will stop you.

-Crissa

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Footnote: It's a moving violation in most states to drive off with snow or ice on your roof. And you're liable for any damages in addition. The amount and penalties vary from state to state.

People have been killed, and police will stop you.

-Crissa
I know… I forgot to put he sarcasm indicator on my post.

It is one of those things which I think police should absolutely enforce but never do.

The very first day I bought my Tesla we were driving home from Portland after their epic snow weekend and I wound up following a semi with a 5+ foot tall killer snow mound on it’s roof. I was pissed. Should have called the police non-emergency number… by I doubt it would have accomplished anything. If that struck a car it could have easily killed someone.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
Yeah, last time I was in Portland (well, during the last visit, the snow kept coming and melting) one day I got behind a semi and sheets kept coming off it and turning into clouds of ice as it hit the street. Of course, it was probably just what accumulated during his trip, as it had just changed back from snow to slush from the sky.

Even that little was creating a driving hazard, as it was for moments as bad as the worst fog. And for that second, you could miss something important up ahead.

-Crissa
Sponsored