Roll up vault cover- concerns that Rivian's already failed?

Zapharus

First Name
Israel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3 '22, Element '11, DM Cybertruck preorder
Country flag
Competition is on its Honeymoon, but reality is coming.

Once people have the CT to compare to , there will be no competition.

Software glitches like we see in this Vid will be common to the point of ridicule compared to Tesla's.

What we just see is the beginning of far superior inferiority. Lol

---

I had a thought about the tonneau cover

Given we can stand on it, which is not really relevant for what I'm about to say,.,. But it does indicate strength…I wonder if our brilliant engineers have designed something to grind debris down like a coffee grinder. I'm serious.
I hope you’re joking. If you’re not joking then you didn’t just drink the koolaid, you chugged the entire pitcher in one go.

I only plan on getting the CT and it’s the truck I like the most out of the bunch but I can recognize where other automakers are doing great with their designs, specifically the F150 Lightning.

charliemagpie

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CybrBEAST
Occupation
retired
Country flag
I hope you’re joking. If you’re not joking then you didn’t just drink the koolaid, you chugged the entire pitcher in one go.

I only plan on getting the CT and it’s the truck I like the most out of the bunch but I can recognize where other automakers are doing great with their designs, specifically the F150 Lightning.
Maybe your right

But I see it as similar to team sports

The team which came near the bottom last year looks a million dollars in pre-season playing practice matches. They are quickly brought back to reality when the real stuff begins.

Lets see how good the F150 is when it is pitched against a real competitor.

Lives2TruckAround

First Name
Nico
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'92 Jeep Wrangler and 22’ Model Y
Occupation
Retired young/Business Owner
Country flag
You can say that about everything then. Let’s make an EV truck to barely pass everybody’s likes and then improve on it when the actual competition comes to market. Steal ideas and steal employees to make our stuff better!

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Maybe your right

But I see it as similar to team sports

The team which came near the bottom last year looks a million dollars in pre-season playing practice matches. They are quickly brought back to reality when the real stuff begins.

Lets see how good the F150 is when it is pitched against a real competitor.
LOL.

This is what we all really want to see, what does the final CT look like compared to the rest. I think we all have a pretty good idea and assuming Tesla doesn’t majorly drop the ball on something it’s going to kick ass.

If the Cybertruck wasn’t out there as this future thing, it would be hard to poke holes in the F150 Lightning.

Though I guess you can argue the Rivian is nicer? Kind of one the fence on that.

JBee

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
. Professional Hobbyist
Country flag
Though I doubt they will do this, I agree that a single piece could be a more robust approach. That presents some other challenges and would probably have more impact to range (aero) when open, but maybe not significantly?
Depends on how long you make the rear roof extend into the bed and how far the sliding glass cover can overhang. You obviously don't want it to extend past the roof apex whilst open and driving like that. But if your load is higher than the roof anyway, and that is why you have the bed fully open, the aero concern is irrelevant. That's about 20cm of height difference.

But I can also shimmy the roof apex forward and change the angle by a few degrees to get the rear glass roof the same length as the bed cover, without diminishing the cathedral like interior vaulted ceiling and headroom. That way, the glass bed cover sits flush on top of the rear glass roof and doesn't go past the roof apex when open.

Both parts could have embedded solar panels though, so about 1.2kW of Sunpower/Sharp modules and up to 21miles of range a day depending season and location. The cost of embedding solar would easily be compensated for by deleting the extra vault cover parts.

In general the cost would be quite low in comparison to the mechanics and separate parts of the vault cover. It also uses no interior space and is pretty much impervious to dirt and dust. We know that no part is the best part, so having a single piece of glass, with embedded solar, with some rails is significantly superior any way you roll it.

A two piece glass roof would also work without any modification at all to the current CT design. You could just tuck the top one over the bottom one like racing fin window covers. Huh now I'm going to have to draw that up. :cool:

Something like this, just with two or maybe three pieces max:

Tesla Cybertruck Roll up vault cover- concerns that Rivian's already failed? 1655286282591
Sponsored