Vertical Parked BAW Too Easy to Vandalize, need option of 2 park positions - horizontal or vertical

jerhenderson

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Correctional Officer
Country flag
I had the same idea / concern. Vandalized or stolen.
On vehicles where wiper is parked horizontally i have even had difficulty reaching the wiper blades unless I turn car on/off quickly with wiper in mid cycle to get wiper arm to get left stopped near the A-pillar where I can more easily reach it.

The repair cost might be minor but if the weather required use of BAW and BAW was damaged you might not use Cybertruck and thus miss a important meeting or be delayed reaching a emergency care facility.

When Cybertruck is parked and BAW is parked at the A-pillar
1. BAW is easily to reach.
2. Vandal can easily apply a lot of side bending force that would seriously bend a standard steel wiper arm or even a heavy-duty rugged design. When BAW is at vertical a vandal can put a lot if their entire body weight pulling to side and down against the BAW.

Cybertruck needs choice of two locations to park the BAW when finished wipe cycling or vehicle .
1. Park Vertical - vertical against A-pillar
2. Part Horizontal - horizontal along bottom of windshield.

Users settings
BAW Park-VP location when vehicle is parked . choices Vertical or Horizontal
BAW Park-VM location when vehicle is moving. choices Vertical or Horizontal

BAW Park-Delay. When vehicle changes state ( parked vs un-parked/moving ) and BAW in wrong PARK location, how many seconds to wait/delay before changing the BAW park location to correct (Vertical to Horizontal or Horizontal to Vertical).

BAW Park-VM-Vert-MS. If BAW is parked horizontal and vehicle starts moving above MS ( Minimum Speed user selected here ), then change BAW parked position to vertical.

-------------------------------------

The Great Wiper Debate: Up or Down?
by Farmers' Almanac Staff
Updated: February 14, 2022
https://www.farmersalmanac.com/the-great-wiper-debate-up-or-down-23545

Here are the two schools of thought:

Leaving Wipers Down:
Discourages vandalism.
Prevents damaging the springs inside the blade arm.
A non-issue because the defroster releases frozen blades.

Propping Wipers Up:
Prevents damage to the wiper motor, should you turn on the ignition and have accidentally left the wipers on (and they’re frozen to the windshield).
Prevents damaging the rubber, when you have to chisel them away from the windshield.
Makes clearing away snow and ice from the windshield easier.

Frannie
..... It’s not that people would steal your wiper blades while they’re up, but young vandals love to twist the entire arm right off when in up position.

roboturkey
..... The kiddies do not need another target for vandalism and if the the roving vandals do make pretzels out of your wipers you are well and truly screwed if you need them.

VLA
..... I never leave them up. It is also a great target for vandals.

Windscreen wiper vandal fined
A New Plymouth man who tore the windscreen wipers off 16 cars in a drunken stupor has paid a hefty price.
Mar 11 2011
By Felicity Ross
https://www.stuff.co.nz/taranaki-daily-news/news/4755569/Windscreen-wiper-vandal-fined

Arggghhhhh! My WRX just got vandalized. How much do new wiper arms cost?
https://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=931981

01-31-2006, 11:13 PM
#1 100bhp Location: San Francisco, CA Vehicle: 02 WRX
Arggghhhhh! My WRX just got vandalized. How much do new wiper arms cost? I'm pissed off, someone just bent up my windshield wiper arms. Can some one please put my mind at ease: How much do new arms cost new? How much from a salvage yard? I am so pissed.

02-01-2006
#9 hystikal Location: Bay Area Vehicle: 2011 E90 M3 2011 Prius
I once had ONE wiper blade stolen from my previous car...people are such idiots.

02-01-2006
#10 Syncro
Saw it happen to a friend's Grand Am a few years ago. The guy isn't the type to have enemies.

02-01-2006
#15 Synth Southern Maryland
Same thing happened to my roommate's car, they actually managed to break one off. Stupid people....

r/Eugene (Oregon USA) > Wiper blades vandalized / Stolen, arm broken

LordSesshomaru82
We have now officially hit Soviet Union levels of bad. It was common in Soviet Union to have shortages of wiper blades so folks would hide them in the trunk or glove box until it rained as they were commonly stolen. Congratulations, Eugene, keep it classy.

Dipsy30
It’s happening everywhere. I was in Tillamook (Oregon USA) a year ago during a winter storm hiking Cape Lookout. When I got back to the parking lot both of mine were stolen. Nothing like driving back to town without wipers during a storm!

EsmareldaRoseMarie
This happened to me while I was working! It was so bizarre, the front and the back wipers were both gone!

shlammyjohnson
This town has a shit load of people that are just unhappy criminals and are trying their hardest to make chaos to feel better. It's disgusting. Not everyone that breaks your car window wants to steal, they just want to cause harm.

mrsclausemenopause
How where you parked? Could easily be retaliation for parking in a reserved spot, parking crooked, causing a door ding, etc. Also curious about bumper stickers. People take their politics seriously around here and often believe vandalism to be the appropriate punishment for thinking differently then them.

WATCH: Brazen vandal kicks car and rips off wiper in 'bizarre' attack
2019Jan29
Brighton Hove (UK)
By Jody Doherty-Cove
A BRAZEN vandal has been captured on film attacking cars. Earlier this month CCTV footage caught a cyclist ripping two wing mirrors off a parked car in Hallyburton Road, Hove. Now, another vandal has been caught on film red-handed, kicking a parked car and ripping a windscreen wiper off another in nearby Rothbury Road. This comes after a spate of vandalism in Stapley Road and Hangleton Road in the Hangleton area. Safar Maged, whose CCTV caught the incident, said: “I have no idea why someone would do this. “It’s really early in the morning. I ran outside when I heard the neighbours shouting. “I spoke with them after and they saw him breaking the cars, but from quite far away.” In the footage, captured at about 10am on Saturday, the man can be seen walking up to the black car and taking a look around before kicking its number plate. He then walks up the road, stops for a while, before walking back and approaching another black car. In bizarre scenes he then rips the windscreen wiper off the back of the car. After throwing it on the floor, he then crosses the road and walks off. Wish ward councillor, Robert Nemeth said: “The mind boggles as to what motivates people to carry out such bizarre acts. “I regularly receive all sorts of reports on this kind of thing happening. “As always, let’s hope that the individual is identified and caught.” A Sussex Police spokesman said: “The suspect was described as a white man in his twenties, 5ft 5in, and of average build. “He was wearing a blue hooded jacket, tracksuit bottoms and trainers, and was carrying a newspaper under one arm. “Anyone who saw what happened or who may have other information concerning this or similar incidents in the area is asked to contact police online at www.sussex.police.uk/contact/af/contact-us/us/contact-us/provide-more-information-to-be-added-to-a-crime-report/ or phone 101 quoting serial 300 of 26/01. Since Christmas, the area has been plagued by vandalism, with thugs smashing up, keying and ripping the wing mirrors off cars. Dawn Barnett, councillor for Hangleton and Knoll, condemned the actions of those responsible and said it the vandalism must be stopped.

any wiper is easy to vandalize.
Sponsored

OP
OP

firsttruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
none
Country flag
Some folks just need something to worry about.

So are all the Tesla owners who report keyed fenders/doors and Superchargers with cables cut just worry warts?

ICE owners in snowy climates who raise their cars wipers and later find their wipers vandalized are imaging things or exaggerating.

The main benefit of vertical BAW is reduced aerodynamic drag when moving.
When not moving there is no advantage.
I just proposed a simple solution that might reduce vandalism incidents.
No extra hardware needed.
What is wrong with that?

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
So are all the Tesla owners who report keyed fenders/doors and Superchargers with cables cut just worry warts?
I was parked at a trailhead next to a buddy and his gas tank was drilled. They left mine alone fortunately, but I didn’t stop parking there or get a fuel tank protector.

Lots of people deal with catalytic converters getting stolen.

A friend of mine had 3 windows on her car smashed by a thief.

LOTS of people have had windows smashed by thieves. Cars get keyed, not just Teslas. Hammers are used… lots of ways to vandalize cars.

If this turns out to be a problem maybe Tesla can put out an update. I doubt it will.

swengl

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S, Model Y
Country flag

ICE owners in snowy climates who raise their cars wipers and later find their wipers vandalized are imaging things or exaggerating.

The main benefit of vertical BAW is reduced aerodynamic drag when moving.
When not moving there is no advantage.
I just proposed a simple solution that might reduce vandalism incidents.
No extra hardware needed.
What is wrong with that?
Someone keyed my S the other day....too bad I don't have Sentry mode on my 85D :(

OP
OP

firsttruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
none
Country flag
1st world problems 🙃
In the non-1st world they actually remove the wiper & store in car or frunk/trunk because they can not afford to replace every time it is stolen. Have to stop and install the wiper when it starts to rain just like old-time convertible car owners had to do with manual convertible tops.

Not everybody in a 1st world country can actual live totally 1st world lives.

r/Eugene (Oregon USA) > Wiper blades vandalized / Stolen, arm broken

LordSesshomaru82

We have now officially hit Soviet Union levels of bad. It was common in Soviet Union to have shortages of wiper blades so folks would hide them in the trunk or glove box until it rained as they were commonly stolen. Congratulations, Eugene, keep it classy.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
In the non-1st world they actually remove the wiper & store in car or frunk/trunk because they can not afford to replace every time it is stolen. Have to stop and install the wiper when it starts to rain just like old-time convertible car owners had to do with manual convertible tops.

Not everybody in a 1st world country can actual live totally 1st world lives.
I'm just confused as to how the position of the wiper would change this problem?

If people want to damage your car, it's just sitting there. They'll figure out a way.

-Crissa

ÆCIII

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
Country flag
This is what the dash cam in parking mode, or sentry mode is for.

But even if you electrified the wiper arm (much easier to do than the whole skin), someone could throw a brick or something from from a distance.

While some of the CT might even be bullet proof, I doubt same could be said for the headlights, parking lights, external mirrors (tires), wheel covers, wheel trim, bumper cameras, etc - in addition to just the wiper.

So why overthink just one thing like the wiper, or why overthink any of it? Live in an area were most people are civilized and one seldom has to worry about such things.

- Or, you can keep a 'trunk monkey' from Surburban Auto Group in the vault. :)

(See, even I can write slightly less sometimes)

- ÆCIII