Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Model 3 LR, 2019 Model 3 SR+
Occupation
Retired Software Engineer, Woodworker and guitar builder extraordinaire
Country flag
Didn't have time to read the whole thread (12 pages already?).

Is anyone else seeing/concerned about the "ripples" in the side panels? Optical illusion from reflections? Or is it really not straight? Kind a reminds me of the quickly built navy ships of WWII......
Sponsored

greggertruck

First Name
g
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.twitter.com
Vehicles
Dual-CT
Occupation
I post Cybertruck stuff on the Internet and people like it.
Country flag
So, maybe a dumb point....

This thing was video'd at Deer Creek or whatever, where they did AI day right?

So, presumably, they have an outfitted release beta truck to test out HW4 on? I wonder if there are in fact a handful of betas scattered for various engineering purposes. They did in fact say they had all beta's built on the call. I think it was Zach Kirkhorn that said it. I'd trust some others over Elon really. I love Elon, but it tends to blow SOME smoke, I think we can all agree.

Anyway. They're probs testing HW4 here, that's why its out.

greggertruck

First Name
g
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.twitter.com
Vehicles
Dual-CT
Occupation
Country flag

Is anyone else seeing/concerned about the "ripples" in the side panels? Optical illusion from reflections? Or is it really not straight? Kind a reminds me of the quickly built navy ships of WWII......
Not really, doesn't really show that bad in the video. It's rolled steel that's been flattened, it'll ripple. Not crazy waves like the pic imagined though.

Paradox

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Escalade ESV Platinum, CT TriMotor FSD
Country flag

In the same way Harry got a lightning bolt scar from a failed murder attempt by Voldemort, this Cybertruck got a lightning bolt scar from Franz and Elon beating the shit out of it with that damned sledgehammer.

Tesla Cybertruck [Video Added!] Cybertruck spotted with new side mirror design! Musk confirms removable (Feb 1, 2023) 📸 30B164BB-62C9-40B7-BB78-D84501D5934A

Tesla Cybertruck [Video Added!] Cybertruck spotted with new side mirror design! Musk confirms removable (Feb 1, 2023) 📸 25A3586D-C821-47DE-9572-A572679F722A

BayouCityBob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Model 3
Country flag

They are probably going to have to do a brushed stainless before it hits the market. That hides a lot of imperfections. Otherwise it will inevitably look like the starship. :)

Tesla Cybertruck [Video Added!] Cybertruck spotted with new side mirror design! Musk confirms removable (Feb 1, 2023) 📸 spacex-starship-prototype-2020-photo-e1604508831201

Prime8

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Colorado,
Occupation
Construction
Country flag

Yeah I just commented above you, looks like it's flexed like a shiny coke can! lol. Fingers crossed that production trucks will have aligned, ripple free panels. Flat is harder to do perfectly than curves as there's nowhere to hide and reflections will show up minor inconsistencies.

Prime8

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Colorado,
Occupation
Construction
Country flag
They are probably going to have to do a brushed stainless before it hits the market. That hides a lot of imperfections. Otherwise it will inevitably look like the starship. :)

spacex-starship-prototype-2020-photo-e1604508831201.jpg
Okay now I'm terrified! lol

Throwcomputer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
07 Ridgeline, Vintage Vespas, 02 Harley Sportster
Occupation
TV & Film
Country flag
The same thing in my Honda Odyssey, I also have a Honda Ridgeline but it's from 2006 so it doesn't quite even have a backup camera
Easy aftermarket install. I finally did that on my 2007 Ridgeline using a 2009 tailgate handle. Much happier with that truck now.

kbolt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Agreed... however until that is legal, I'll still need a mirror in the interim. Don't get me wrong, I'll go full camera as soon as it's available... but I still need to haul my boat without having to worry about FHP...lol.
But is the placement explicitly stated? Could you put it on the dash or in the bed of the truck?

cal

First Name
cal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla plaid, 2012 Tundra
Occupation
retired
Country flag
The rear LED taillights on the CT are very small.

For rear visibility reasons I was really hoping for the production version to incorporate larger LED running lights and/or a LED light bar similar to the Rivian R1T. The Rivian also incorporates a a pair of upper 3rd brake lights above the rear window.

5308270F-866C-4848-A6ED-C8858A1E78CF.jpeg
I agree can't believe this will be street legal. These tail lights seem way too small.

tmeyer3

First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3, Wrangler, Tractors
Occupation
Computer Scientist
Country flag
Will magnets stick to this grade of stainless steel?
If it is austenitic, then no. And I very much hope that it is. The crystalline structure it creates provides superior corrosion resistance and is crucial to long term self-passivation.

greggertruck

First Name
g
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.twitter.com
Vehicles
Dual-CT
Occupation
Country flag
So, maybe a dumb point....

This thing was video'd at Deer Creek or whatever, where they did AI day right?

So, presumably, they have an outfitted release beta truck to test out HW4 on? I wonder if there are in fact a handful of betas scattered for various engineering purposes. They did in fact say they had all beta's built on the call. I think it was Zach Kirkhorn that said it. I'd trust some others over Elon really. I love Elon, but it tends to blow SOME smoke, I think we can all agree.

Anyway. They're probs testing HW4 here, that's why its out.
I wonder if they're doing some kind of video of HW4 maybe for March 1? Cybertruck details.

Because of HW4 being a new unveil on Cybertruck, this is a heightened unveil given the Tesla pledge to autonomy.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
I understand but we are not in the age of 20 year old trucks and through evolution and need trucks need to be higher these days or they wouldn’t build them in such a manor.
People (collectively) can and do make irrational purchased piled on top of marketing and bullshit. The entire US auto industry is driven by a bunch of stupid legislation which encourages bigger and bigger vehicles. GM and Ford couldn’t make cars which met CAFE requirements so they’ve spent 30+ years pumping people’s head’s full of bullshit and advertising convincing them they need the biggest gnarliest, most impractical vehicle money can buy.

It worked.

I just like to see above other vehicles while I’m driving. The suspension lifted cannot be driven above 40mph if I understand correctly.
There are no practical reasons someone would need that much lift when they are going down the highway so it makes sense.

Having a high cab is more dangerous to those around, more dangerous to its occupants due to rollover risk, less practical for loading and unloading, a pain in the ass to get in and out of the bed to access your gear. The Cybertruck has tons of suspension when it needs it and is low to the ground for safety and efficiency when it doesn’t need it.
Sponsored

Last edited: