What we 100% know about the Cybertruck

Albern

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Chevrolet Volt, 202X Cybertruck Plaid+ (x2)
Country flag
Corvette / Model Y in the same garage? The necessity can actually be questioned!

I know... I know... a Model Y doesn't replace a Vette. But the diminishing return is real.
Most auto "journalists" are so soft today. The bar is set so low that reliance for our attention is placed on catchy headlines, unusual match ups, snark, and dumb YouTube face. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
Sponsored

Klaxon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT
Country flag
I was dreaming about
- a stainless steel body vehicle,
- with yoke steering,
- bulletproof,
- with high approach and departure angles,
- with unlimited range,
- rear wheel drive would be OK,
- no ugly windshield wipers,
- no door handles,
- affordable and compact,
- low maintenance,
and my nightmare showed a bicycle.
:sleep:

Last edited:

Quicksilver

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan van
Occupation
Retired military
Country flag
Unless Tesla prices their self out of a sale I'm going with the big gorilla on the block.
Four motor
Rear wheel steering
Cheapest interior I can get (it will live a hard life on a farm).
Max towing weight.
Max battery pack.
Smoke most ICE vehicles
Since I had to spring for a new diesel truck to replace the old diesel truck I guess it will all boil down to what the bank will loan me depending on how much Tesla stock I sell to make a down payment.
My drop off would prob be around 80k.

tidmutt

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y Performance, Model X P100D
Occupation
Software Architect
Country flag
I’ll go one worse….

I bought TSLA 3 years ago… then sold it. Bought back in not enough more recently.

I should have known to invest more in Musk.

Model Y performance is kind of crazy close to Corvette performance. It should be stupid fun then you can enjoy nearly the performance of the ‘vette, save some money, and be more environmentally conscious.

….

But I can definitely understand the appeal of the Corvette. Maybe an older/ collectible one.

Also, I have a lot of issues with spending $100k on a car too. That’s a year of more of working. That’s why it’s a stretch goal based on TSLA performance.
Agreed! I knew so much about Musk and Tesla, I should have trusted my instincts. Ah well... Coulda Woulda Shoulda.

True about performance of the Y vs the Vette. It's more the raw sex appeal of the vette, more traditional sports car experience. It's unlikely we'll do it but it's a fun thought experiment. A Miata/MX5 might actually be the more sensible option and a beautiful drive too. I built one out in the configurator and it feels so damn cheap. I struggled to get past $34K. The cabin tech though... ugh... Mazda, come on. Although I jumped back on the Corvette site... honestly, it's a freakin exotic for the price for a BMW... looks beautiful inside and out. No way would I buy any vette before the C8 Corvette, it's just too awesome. Wish it had an electric drive train, which makes me think the Tesla Roadster is insane for $200K... Tesla should do a model (eventually) to compete with the Vette. 350 mile range, 0-60 in the 3 second range, perfect fun weekend car.

tidmutt

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Software Architect
Country flag
Corvette / Model Y in the same garage? The necessity can actually be questioned!

I know... I know... a Model Y doesn't replace a Vette. But the diminishing return is real.
lol - Great video, the Model Y is truly amazing, can't wait to get mine. Mine is the Performance, his will be a LR because he's boring. ?

Yeah, not the same, the Corvette is beautiful. GM did an amazing job.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
Mazda does everything as independent systems from third-parties. Sometimes that's great, sometimes... It's not.

Though to be honest, at least it's quick and fautless, compared to some of the stuff I've seen from the big three...

-Crissa

tidmutt

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Software Architect
Country flag
Most auto "journalists" are so soft today. The bar is set so low that reliance for our attention is placed on catchy headlines, unusual match ups, snark, and dumb YouTube face. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
Sad but true.

I still enjoy Chris Harris sometimes, at least his old Youtube channel, not sure how active it is now he's on Top Gear (I think).

I used to enjoy the long reads of in depth motoring publications, I would buy every mag as soon as it hit the newstands, pour over every word. There would be articles drilling down into the design and production of some new vehicle. The journos were professionals, the writing interesting and entertaining without being short attention span crap. Sigh... thank you internet.

tidmutt

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Software Architect
Country flag
Mazda does everything as independent systems from third-parties. Sometimes that's great, sometimes... It's not.

Though to be honest, at least it's quick and fautless, compared to some of the stuff I've seen from the big three...

-Crissa
Long time Mazda fan, owned three of them when they always injected some fun into their vehicles. Loved their ethos, their designs were invariably beautiful and lets not forget, Tesla's lead designer is ex-Mazda. The Model S had a reasonable resemblance to the Mazda 6.

I drove and loved an RX8 for many years, quirky and brilliant car, always wished for torque though.

They are a small player, Tesla will soon overtake their volume. They punch way above their weight IMO.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Agreed! I knew so much about Musk and Tesla, I should have trusted my instincts. Ah well... Coulda Woulda Shoulda.

True about performance of the Y vs the Vette. It's more the raw sex appeal of the vette, more traditional sports car experience. It's unlikely we'll do it but it's a fun thought experiment. A Miata/MX5 might actually be the more sensible option and a beautiful drive too. I built one out in the configurator and it feels so damn cheap. I struggled to get past $34K. The cabin tech though... ugh... Mazda, come on. Although I jumped back on the Corvette site... honestly, it's a freakin exotic for the price for a BMW... looks beautiful inside and out. No way would I buy any vette before the C8 Corvette, it's just too awesome. Wish it had an electric drive train, which makes me think the Tesla Roadster is insane for $200K... Tesla should do a model (eventually) to compete with the Vette. 350 mile range, 0-60 in the 3 second range, perfect fun weekend car.
Wondering about an old Miata or ‘vette. Something collectable. My favorite part about performance cars isn’t so much the go-fast as it is dodging down windy roads. I think performance wise, the Model 3 Performance would crush on that kind of stuff, but there is something about a manual transmission and that bit of mental work to keep the car operating at peak.

FutureBoy

First Name
Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag
Wondering about an old Miata or ‘vette. Something collectable. My favorite part about performance cars isn’t so much the go-fast as it is dodging down windy roads. I think performance wise, the Model 3 Performance would crush on that kind of stuff, but there is something about a manual transmission and that bit of mental work to keep the car operating at peak.
I have an old memory from back in the 80's of whipping my 'vette down a curvy tree-lined road with dips and hills. It was all fun and games till my 'vette showed it's true self to be a Chevette and that curve up ahead to be lined with a stone wall that jumped out to get us. That was the end of that joy ride.

ZARDOZ

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Forester
Occupation
IT
Country flag
Dunno, but I feel like we don't know ANYTHING 100% about the CT until one roles off the line. Until then, it's all conjecture.

cybguy

First Name
Pablo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2012 Pilatus PC-12, 2016 Bolt, 2024 Forester
Occupation
Temporarily unRetired
Country flag
Dunno, but I feel like we don't know ANYTHING 100% about the CT until one roles off the line. Until then, it's all conjecture.
Exactly! Our preorders don't guarantee the Cybertruck will be produced or what price it will be if it is produced. It certainly doesn't guarantee when it will be produced. Having said that there was zero chance since introduction that it would be produced in any meaningful numbers in 2021. Clear for the last 6 months that 2022 is also unlikely. 2023 is possible but unexpected delays could easily push it to 2024. If your order is >100k don't expect a CT before 2025 unless your willing to cough up $100K plus for CT4/Plaid nonsense.
The delays in the last 6 months is partly Rivian's fault for handbuilding the RT1 (at a huge loss) that would outperform top end CT3 off road. But the rest is still Musk waiting on battery cost and supply to make the CT profitable. Then they have to get the 8T gigapress and figure out how they are going to mass produce the CT. That will be 9-12 months from delivery to first CT sales.
Just be thankful you didn't deposit $50K on the Roadster.

HaulingAss

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 F-150, 2018 Model 3 Perform, FS Cybertruck
Country flag
Exactly! Our preorders don't guarantee the Cybertruck will be produced or what price it will be if it is produced. It certainly doesn't guarantee when it will be produced. Having said that there was zero chance since introduction that it would be produced in any meaningful numbers in 2021. Clear for the last 6 months that 2022 is also unlikely. 2023 is possible but unexpected delays could easily push it to 2024. If your order is >100k don't expect a CT before 2025 unless your willing to cough up $100K plus for CT4/Plaid nonsense.
The delays in the last 6 months is partly Rivian's fault for handbuilding the RT1 (at a huge loss) that would outperform top end CT3 off road. But the rest is still Musk waiting on battery cost and supply to make the CT profitable. Then they have to get the 8T gigapress and figure out how they are going to mass produce the CT. That will be 9-12 months from delivery to first CT sales.
Just be thankful you didn't deposit $50K on the Roadster.
Ummmm, no. There is basically zero chance Tesla will price the Quad motor above $100K.

Where did you ever get such a notion? It just shows how little you know about how Tesla operates.
Sponsored