Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Forester SJ 2.5i
Occupation
Archaeologist
Country flag
Stainless steel Astrovan??!? Dodge Econoline with gull-wing doors? Highest crash rating VW bus...
My brain hurts trying to imagine a Tesla van...yet, I probably would seriously consider getting one beforehand.
Would this tempt you @DarinCT? Love a good van, but the 1st render doesn't really do it for me, bit too bus like, but I'd consider it and probably stick with the CT...

Tesla Cybertruck What would prevent your purchase? 1623111096373

Hints of "A-Team" style in this concept... Also a maybe, but would stick with the CT... Cheers

Tesla Cybertruck What would prevent your purchase? 1623111195436
Sponsored

DarinCT

First Name
Darin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
M3, CT triM
Country flag
Hints of "A-Team" style in this concept... Also a maybe, but would stick with the CT... Cheers

1623111195436.png

Tesla Cybertruck What would prevent your purchase? 1623112458282

I agree that first render is too rv/school-bus like. While Mr. T may approve of the second, I'm with you, I'd stick with the CT. For me, I'd consider something like a CyberSpicoli but with more than 54bhp. (The new VW bus is a no go as well.)

Tesla Cybertruck What would prevent your purchase? 1623112946630

Chilli

First Name
Stephan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Seat Mii electric+, Renault Trafic Passenger &more
Country flag
  1. The ultimative thing that could prevent me from buying it is that it's not available in Europe
  2. It's not clear how many seats it has/how many adults can sit cosy
  3. It's not clear how much load capacity the truck will have in Europe. The limit of 3,5t total weight for cars conflict with the weight of the empty truck. And you don't want to license it as truck due to the speed limits that come with it.
  4. I don't care about towing, I don't care about fancy acceleration I care about range. It looks like there will not be an affordable long range version for a long time
  5. Competition could be faster with a van that fullfills my needs and is cheaper.

JeffnReno

First Name
Jeffrey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Model Y LR with tow package
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Since I already have a paid-for Model 3 and don't really need a truck, things like efficiency, ride quality, size affecting where it can be parked, insurance cost, repair cost, range, and how the unknowns are dealt with. If the 4680s become available plus increase the range in a Model Y at a good price, I may decide to go for a Model Y since I'm reasonably sure it should be more efficient and meet 99% of my needs. Time will tell and by already having the Model 3, I can wait until the unknowns about mirrors, wipers, solar, and efficiency are answered along with crash test results, FSD, charging times, etc, etc.

Jeepster

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Jeep, 2002 Porsche 911
Country flag
Short version:
If you intend on purchasing today, and knowing what we know today and what we don't know yet; when the final product and pricing is revealed, what would prevent you from making the purchase?

Extended read:
I reserved a CT3 w/FSD.
I have a list of questions I 'm curious about, (but don't really care all that much about), a list I care about that will make me more or less inclined to purchase, and a short list of concerns that would prevent me from making the purchase.

I'm curious about...
-What is the battery size?
-Will it have side view mirrors?
-Is the tailgate ramp standard or optional? Price if optional?
-V2H or V2G or V2V options?
-Will it have a mid-gate? Standard or optional? Price if optional?
-Is that full glass roof standard or optional? Price if optional?
-How much is that camping package option they show and can I still use the bed for doing truck things with that package onboard?
-Can the purchase be delayed? If my number come up, and I don't want to make the purchase, can I delay by 6 months or a year. Really only curious about this because I'm about 90k inline for the truck...whatever that means. I'm personally not expecting delivery until late next year. Maybe it will be summer time or even spring...I don't know. I'm retiring from active duty in Oct next year. It would be good to know I secured a follow on job prior to spending my savings for this truck. Ideally, I retire, I get a job, I receive the notification to finalize my CT order.

I care about...
-What is it's actual wheel travel? I know we saw 20" recently posted, but that is so far beyond even a Raptor's spec travel, that I don't believe it until I see it in the actual CT specs.
-What is it's RTI? Not usually a spec released by the company. We probably won't know this until a youtuber posts his/her review.
-What is its turning radius? This should be a Tesla released spec. Some of the videos we've seen make it look like absolute trash. It has to be inline with the Raptor or better. I have a feeling it's going to be pretty terrible because I think it has a longer wheelbase while being the same length of an F150 (which helps it for the approach and depart angles but hurts it for turning radius and and breakover angle...which the CT compensates for with the massive 16" of clearance. But that clearance does not help with the turning radius. It's going to need a ton of wheel angle range.)
-Is the solar panel cover standard or optional? What's the price if it's an option and how much range does it provide or how much phantom loss does it replenish?
(These next two are danger close to falling onto my next list)
-Are 35's standard or optional and if it's an option, how much will they effect the range...hoping there is an EPA stated range for them if it's an option. If it is an option I just can't imagine the range is 500+ with them. Which means I'd be purchasing the CT3 without 35s which makes me far far less excited.
-Is the interior we've seen the final product? Frankly, I don't like it. It doesn't need to be fancy (ie, Platinum, Laramie, etc...but XLT, Longhorn would be good) What storage is there around the driver and passengers...yes, cupholders and storage matter.

But most importantly, I need to know the following or it will prevent my purchase.
-What is it's EPA range? 500 is the bare minimum. If it's exactly 500 I have a decision to make. I'm not overly concerned with this one as I think the EPA range will be over 500 miles...but that might be with 32" hwy tires. I need it to have 500 miles with at least 32" AT tires. Again, not too concerned but if it turns out I'll only get 499 with 32" ATs, I'm out.
-How much will the insurance be? If it nullifies my fuel saving or significantly cuts into the money saved from buying fuel vs my current cost to insure my F150 $77/mo), it makes the premium price not yet justifiable (for me). Today, I feel like I need to see the payback for the premium I'm paying in under 15 years. By "premium" I'm talking about what I'd normally be spending on a new to me, 2 year old used truck vs the brand new CT. If I'd normally buy a used truck for say $35k (this would be a new high for me) and I'm spending ~ $76k on this new CT then the premium is $41k. Between fuel saving and insurance rates, and yes additional maintenance savings because EVs have so fewer moving parts, (but maybe go through tires faster) I need to save $41k over 15 years. This is going to be a wag, but if the wag seems too far off, it will prevent me from making the purchase. The simple math is that I am going to have to save about $225/mo buying this truck vs something else, when I only drive about 15k miles a year. My electrical rates are $0.105/kWh and gas is currently about $3.50/gal here. So right now I spend about $368/mo on gas and insurance. I estimate spending about $65/mo in electricity from home with the CT (assuming 100% of my charging is at home). I feel like the insurance is going to be more then $128/mo for this CT. Making the premium payback over 15 years.
-Depending on how that immediate concern get answered I may need an answer on the tax incentive. Right now, we don't get one. If one is established it could sway the numbers back in favor of the purchase.

So what say you? No tax incentive, no purchase? No midgate, no purchase? No V2?, no purchase? No change to the interior, no purchase? Just curious.
Funny as this sounds, the only deal breaker for me would be if it isn't capable of driving on soft, sandy breaches. At the risk of starting a flame war, in my experience most (I didn't say all) all-wheel-drive vehicles just can't cut it in soft sandy beaches. There, I said it. But seriously, my only off roading is on the beach, but it's a weekly thing, so if this fails on the beach it won't work for me.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
  1. The ultimative thing that could prevent me from buying it is that it's not available in Europe
  2. It's not clear how many seats it has/how many adults can sit cosy
  3. It's not clear how much load capacity the truck will have in Europe. The limit of 3,5t total weight for cars conflict with the weight of the empty truck. And you don't want to license it as truck due to the speed limits that come with it.
  4. I don't care about towing, I don't care about fancy acceleration I care about range. It looks like there will not be an affordable long range version for a long time
  5. Competition could be faster with a van that fullfills my needs and is cheaper.
1, 3: Yeah, Europe is low on the market list. Just thank goodness you're not in Australia.
2: Six adults. The six seats are all the same size in the prototype.
4, 5: As long as there's more demand than vehicles, these options will take longer to show up.

-Crissa

happy intruder

First Name
O. K.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3 Jun 2019..... Model S Jan 2020
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I am concerned about the insurance cost. I live in California so I can get insurance from Tesla directly and I am guessing that they will beat their competitors pricing, but if insurance on a $25k car here is about $150/mo. I am fairly certain that insurance on this $70k +/- beast is going to be $350+/mo., which is not great, plus I am sure annual registration will be upwards of $600+. I guess we will have to wait and see. This will be my first vehicle purchase >$30k so I suppose that I have had it easy, but all these added monthly and annual cost add up. I am aiming to buy it outright so at lease the interest will be low.

Also, if it doesn't come with a spare tire and means to change the spare that would be rough in my opinion. This is a truck. That's great that a lot of city folk (including myself) will be using this truck with lots of resources around and Telsa's roadside assistance, but I would specifically be planning to take this truck with a camper on longer trips and I don't want to be moving a spare around my garage and storing it in the bed. I have three younger kids and sitting on the side of the road somewhere between California and Colorado waiting hours for roadside service is not ideal. I suppose it won't fully be a deal breaker, but what other truck on the market would come without a spare? None. Granted I have probably used my trucks spare tire 1 time in 8 years.
insurance is a concern of mine too.......but, being an all stainless steel body and less prone to dents and small fender benders, I think there will not be much if any damage that would require insurance.... thus reducing the insurance companies liability....I know that may be an simplistic view but bumping into steel and bumping into plastic or aluminuim are two different instances.....I am with USAA and have been for over 48 years.....I can’t find or know of any insurance that is better at taking care of problems and accidents....yes, I know there is the exception or 10 percenters, but by and large that are the best in my opinion for service and premiums....we will see way will happen when I go to add the CT to my policy.....

SpaceDoc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Kia Sportage PHEV... 2025+ GMC Denali EV
Occupation
Space Cowboy
Country flag
A really competitive F-150 lightning might keep me from buying a CT.
Ford did a lot of things right, but the CT is really something else entirely.
I put a deposit down on the F-150, so I'm set for both.
If the F-150 is available much sooner than my tri-motor CT, that might sway me.
If it's easy to power my house with an F-150 during an outage, as promised, that might sway.
I think that last point will drive Tesla to offer that with the CT. Eventually that will be a promise of all EVs.

FutureBoy

First Name
Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag
I think the Bollinger B2 looks cool but that's the best thing I can really say about it.

They are going really old school with crank windows, I wonder if they'll add a crank in the charging slot instead of letting you go to a charging stations. I hope they at least put in phone chargers.
Just got to pull out a vintage JCWhitney catalog and order electric window crank motors. As much flat space there is on the hood/roof, you can attach solar charging for your phone. JCWhitney for the win.

Too bad you have to pay $125k to get started though. When I’m wealthy like Ted Turner and have my spread, a Bollinger will be a nice work truck that never leaves the spread. Till then, long live CT.

Deleted member 3884

Price. For example if a report came out steel prices are up and now the Cybertruck is $10k more.

Chilli

First Name
Stephan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Seat Mii electric+, Renault Trafic Passenger &more
Country flag
The six seats are all the same size in the prototype.
Yes, but that's an indication in best case.
However, if the CT is available in Europe in 5years ore more this might not be such an important criteria anyomre as two of my kids are already grown up per today.
Load capacity might remain an issue as I'm used to pick up pallets with 1ton at times. lf I would switch over to delivery I would need to switch over to 6 pallets (full small truck) at once to make it cost efficient - which means I would need to make a storage room because that's slightly more than my yearly demand.
Currently I do have an Renault Trafic Passenger (long version) 9seater that I can convert into a transporter by taking out both backseat rows.
Chilli

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
... I'm used to pick up pallets with 1ton at times. lf I would switch over to delivery I would need to switch over to 6 pallets (full small truck) at once to make it cost efficient...
Yeah. That's why there's several tons of gravel and paving stone and two pallets of blocks that were sitting in my driveway instead of my car.

Right now I get some of my blocks by car, I can move about layer of a pallet or so at a time, which is about a day's work. But if I need more, I order the delivery, and they I have to fill the street with pallets I then I have to spend all weekend moving out of the street and up the hill.

-Crissa

Stuck4ger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota FJ / Model Y
Occupation
Test Pilot
Country flag
There are 2 things that would keep me from buying my CT, assuming it comes as unveiled: (1) Tesla doesn't make it, or (2) I die before it is made. Number 1 seems unlikely and I don't want to dwell on number 2. It sounds like a much more challenging decision for you. Sorry to hear it but such is life.
You beat me to the answer

FutureBoy

First Name
Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag
You know what would keep me from buying the CT? Availability.
Full stop.