Stuck4ger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota FJ / Model Y
Occupation
Test Pilot
Country flag

Add it all together, and I’d wile guess that in terms of range the 11mi Davis Adam grade test at 40mph is less of a range-eater than would be the same towing on level ground at 85mph

According to my attempt at high school physics, your wile guess is actually a pretty close estimation, in that 85mph level required slightly more power than 40 mph while climbing a 4.9% gradient.
Sponsored

OP
OP
cvalue13

cvalue13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150L
Occupation
Fun-employed
Country flag
According to my attempt at high school physics, your wile guess is actually a pretty close estimation, in that 85mph level required slightly more power than 40 mph while climbing a 4.9% gradient.
if only my highschool physics teachers would’ve credited my intuitions

TyPope

First Name
Ty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 MYLR, '23 Mavrick Hybrid, '24? Cyberbeast
Occupation
Current Operations for... an organization
Country flag
The Cybertruck will probably consume 1.45KwH per mile at a 1% grade towing a 6,000# common dual axle cargo trailer. The 1% grade is the same as going up 1 mile up per 100 miles traveled.

Pulling that same trailer up the 2.7% ... Well, it's going to take a lot... maybe as much as 2.5443 KwH per mile. That would be 53.43 KwH for the trip up alone.

Down, would be better, of course.
So, I'm going to go out on a limb and say maybe 37% of the battery capacity was used to make the trip up the hill... That would equate to a battery pack size roughly 144KwH.

At 350 Wh/mile unencumbered, the CT needs 175KwH for a 500-mile range, or Just 123KwH for 350-mile range.

EDIT: OOPS. My physics is for towing a 14,000# trailer!

Last edited:

DMC-81

First Name
Dana
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Transformers Camaro SS, 1985 Corvette Z51, Dodge Magnum R/T, 1981 DeLorean, CT reservation
Country flag
Very cool, insightful thread.

Old Pro

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I own a 2006 Toyota Tacoma and 2018 Tesla Model 3,
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Earlier today the “RC” wrapped CT was seen being trailered into and around Nevada. It was also seen at a charge station with a hitch.

“Why’s it in Vegas?,” many wondered.

But now that it’s been sighted near Laughlin, Nevada, it seems obvious why it’s in Nevada

D271C58B-81DA-491D-B0A2-A26CB6D2D4D5.jpeg

20230906_140629.jpg

The Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE) J2807 “Performance Requirements for Determining Tow-Vehicle Gross Combination Weight Rating and Trailer Weight Rating” fordetermining a given truck’s trailering ability.

The J2807 has been discussed at length elsewhere on forum, but one of its dozens of standardized tests isthe J2807 “Highway Gradeability” tests takes place on a well-known stretch of Arizona highway, the 11.4-mile-long Davis Dam Grade. A minimum temperature of 100 degrees required at the base of the grade.

The Davis Dam Grade Arizona State Route 68 is a stretch of road that starts in the Davis Dam area of the Colorado River, close to Laughlin, Nevada, and Bullhead City, Arizona, with an elevation of just about 550 feet. This stretch of highway travels through the Black Mountains and climbs to Highway 93 near Kingman, Arizona. The section used for the SAE J2807 Highway Gradeability Test starts just past the intersection of SR 68 and Highway 95 outside of Laughlin and climbs to more than 3,500 feet in just 11.4 miles.

A6E085C6-7C9A-42CD-A702-0F2E00198334.jpeg

According to the above-linked xweet (and FB post it came from), the truck was seen near Laughlin - unclear if those are the trailered photos, or the trailering photo.

In any event, the required >100° temps were met each of the last and next few days.

74BD7966-7345-46D2-B6DC-262B03EEE44E.jpeg

Notably, it is possible to satisfy the J2807 grade test in simulated conditions, so Tesla need not have sent the CT there to test.

But where there’s smoke(ing trailer brakes)…

UPDATED with sighting info / photos / video from @SKUUT (see post)

I've been a lurker on the board for a while but had to post when I saw cvalue13's post. I saw the truck heading towards Union Pass yesterday. I'm assuming that they had just turned around and headed back to the starting point, or they possibly headed into Kingman and charged there (not sure if there were any sightings reported at the Kingman superchargers). The truck was Cruising at about 55 mph and was being followed by an F250 support vehicle, there were probably three to four guys in each truck. I did a quadruple take when I first saw it, and had to be a stalker following it all the way down the hill to where they pulled over in a truck lot next to the river. I overheard one of the passengers mention 37% on the battery. This could be what was left over after heading up and coming back down; I'm not sure. If someone wants to bother doing the math on what this could mean for pack size. Attached is my upside-down video haha... I followed the truck to see if they were going to head towards Needles, CA or up the opposing mountain range and into Boulder City so that I could guess the size of the pack. But, they apparently loaded it onto that truck after I left. Enjoy!

20230906_140629.jpg
20230906_140456.jpg

Davis Dam above Laughlin Nevada, spent many a day jet skiing at Catherines Landing. It's amazing how good a beer tastes at 8:30 in the morning when it's already 105 degrees. Used to go there every year with about 170 of my neighbors from the "Scripps Ranch Old Pro's" trip. $1.75 Leather and Eggs for breakfast at the Riverside. Life doesn't get any better than that!

BaddaBing

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Truck
Country flag
I haven't gone through all the posts but do we Towing Performance figures on any of models?
And my other question is $. How much is it going to change from what we signed for?
I ordered the 3 Engine model with FSD.
Thanks Folks

WHIZZARD OF OZ

First Name
Ivan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW Up!
Occupation
Electric Wheelchair Builder
Country flag
Earlier today the “RC” wrapped CT was seen being trailered into and around Nevada. It was also seen at a charge station with a hitch.

“Why’s it in Vegas?,” many wondered.

But now that it’s been sighted near Laughlin, Nevada, it seems obvious why it’s in Nevada

D271C58B-81DA-491D-B0A2-A26CB6D2D4D5.jpeg

20230906_140629.jpg

The Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE) J2807 “Performance Requirements for Determining Tow-Vehicle Gross Combination Weight Rating and Trailer Weight Rating” fordetermining a given truck’s trailering ability.

The J2807 has been discussed at length elsewhere on forum, but one of its dozens of standardized tests isthe J2807 “Highway Gradeability” tests takes place on a well-known stretch of Arizona highway, the 11.4-mile-long Davis Dam Grade. A minimum temperature of 100 degrees required at the base of the grade.

The Davis Dam Grade Arizona State Route 68 is a stretch of road that starts in the Davis Dam area of the Colorado River, close to Laughlin, Nevada, and Bullhead City, Arizona, with an elevation of just about 550 feet. This stretch of highway travels through the Black Mountains and climbs to Highway 93 near Kingman, Arizona. The section used for the SAE J2807 Highway Gradeability Test starts just past the intersection of SR 68 and Highway 95 outside of Laughlin and climbs to more than 3,500 feet in just 11.4 miles.

A6E085C6-7C9A-42CD-A702-0F2E00198334.jpeg

According to the above-linked xweet (and FB post it came from), the truck was seen near Laughlin - unclear if those are the trailered photos, or the trailering photo.

In any event, the required >100° temps were met each of the last and next few days.

74BD7966-7345-46D2-B6DC-262B03EEE44E.jpeg

Notably, it is possible to satisfy the J2807 grade test in simulated conditions, so Tesla need not have sent the CT there to test.

But where there’s smoke(ing trailer brakes)…

UPDATED with sighting info / photos / video from @SKUUT (see post)

I've been a lurker on the board for a while but had to post when I saw cvalue13's post. I saw the truck heading towards Union Pass yesterday. I'm assuming that they had just turned around and headed back to the starting point, or they possibly headed into Kingman and charged there (not sure if there were any sightings reported at the Kingman superchargers). The truck was Cruising at about 55 mph and was being followed by an F250 support vehicle, there were probably three to four guys in each truck. I did a quadruple take when I first saw it, and had to be a stalker following it all the way down the hill to where they pulled over in a truck lot next to the river. I overheard one of the passengers mention 37% on the battery. This could be what was left over after heading up and coming back down; I'm not sure. If someone wants to bother doing the math on what this could mean for pack size. Attached is my upside-down video haha... I followed the truck to see if they were going to head towards Needles, CA or up the opposing mountain range and into Boulder City so that I could guess the size of the pack. But, they apparently loaded it onto that truck after I left. Enjoy!

20230906_140629.jpg
20230906_140456.jpg

I've heard of video from 'DownUnder'
But this takes the EKAC <>

WHIZZARD OF OZ

First Name
Ivan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW Up!
Occupation
Country flag
I haven't gone through all the posts but do we Towing Performance figures on any of models?
And my other question is $. How much is it going to change from what we signed for?
I ordered the 3 Engine model with FSD.
Thanks Folks
Just guessing TRI Motor comes in under the IRA $80K.
A bargain if you ask me!

WHIZZARD OF OZ

First Name
Ivan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW Up!
Occupation
Country flag
The "internet experts" claim this must be a hoax after watching the Cybertruck accelerate away. "Surely that trailer is empty!"

Fortunately, my crack team of investigators has captured visual evidence of the trailer's contents.

Eui1pqbNwMne5rVOmdLtMMeJM7i42Er7kq4a9Mkvo&usqp=CAU.jpg
When climbing steep gradients, the chickens are trained to 'FLAP'
Reducing weight/consumption, momentarily at least. VW were caught with 'DIESEL-GATE'
'CHICKEN-GATE' is something to keep clear of, or you'll end up roasted!

PilotPete

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche, BMW, M3LR on order
Occupation
Chief Pilot
Country flag
When climbing steep gradients, the chickens are trained to 'FLAP'
Reducing weight/consumption, momentarily at least. VW were caught with 'DIESEL-GATE'
'CHICKEN-GATE' is something to keep clear of, or you'll end up roasted!
That’s a fun physics question, but the short answer is, even if they fly, the weight is the same.

windydrew

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT trimotor, '21 MY LR AWD 7 seater, '21 M3 LR AWD
Country flag
That’s a fun physics question, but the short answer is, even if they fly, the weight is the same.
No, their mass is the same regardless but their weight does change. The weight on a scale will change based on them flying or not. So the force on the Cybertruck would change based on whether they're flapping or not.

PilotPete

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche, BMW, M3LR on order
Occupation
Chief Pilot
Country flag
No, their mass is the same regardless but their weight does change. The weight on a scale will change based on them flying or not. So the force on the Cybertruck would change based on whether they're flapping or not.
Except within a closed trailer, the downforce of the air and lowered pressure above affects the trailer equal to the weight. So while the birds are in the air, the weight the trailer feels remains the same. Proven through both theory and demonstration.

For the TV friendly, there is always Mythbusters...

windydrew

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT trimotor, '21 MY LR AWD 7 seater, '21 M3 LR AWD
Country flag
Except within a closed trailer, the downforce of the air and lowered pressure above affects the trailer equal to the weight. So while the birds are in the air, the weight the trailer feels remains the same. Proven through both theory and demonstration.

For the TV friendly, there is always Mythbusters...

But the point is, the weight of the trailer does change. That just means that you could pull the trailer empty or full and it won't change anything besides braking. I can confirm that this is real. Plus how much does a trailer full of live chickens weigh anyways. Can't be more than a few hundred pounds total
Sponsored