Will the truck come with a full size spare?

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
A good place to store that "repair aerosol" is in the trash can, it will trash your TPS and make a mess of ever patching the tire IF it's patchable, they are only effective for small nail/screw leaks on the main tread belt and a sidewall cut will put you in the "time out box".
It will put a damaged tire back on the road, though.

And that's what it's for. The tire is trashed when you're done with it... usually. But I can carry enough fix a flats to repair all tires from driving through a sea of nails, I can't carry enough spare tires without it taking up a huge part of my load.

-Crissa
Sponsored

JBee

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
. Professional Hobbyist
Country flag
If they want a spare that rear under bed storage has to go as well. Even then its really close to fit the wheel behind the rear wheel centers (driveshafts) and inside the rear the bumper (as per picture above). I'm hoping they do, and at a minimum offer the space for a spare and make the wheel optional.

Ideally though the spare would drop down underneath the car so you don't have to unload the bed to get to it. That size wheel is also heavy, and not something most people will be able to lift out of the bed, let alone lift onto the bed.

The alternative is using bead lockers all round. They will give you low speed run flat capability, even with sidewall damage, not add much weight (but some unsprung mass) and also allow you to run at lower tyre air pressures for off road without the tyre slipping in the wheel. Only caveat there is they don't play well with low profile tyres, which aren't useful off road either.

Essentially bead lockers are another set of light weight fibreglass reinforced tyres sitting inside the actual tyres. So when the outside tyre deflates the tread sits on the inside tyre (bead locker). The advantage is obviously that you'd only notice a bit of a handing change and see the tyre pressure go low on the gauge, but you wouldn't have to stop driving you can also still use a puncture kit. The air suspension can compensate for the height difference.

In a perfect world CT would have CTI as well.

Tesla Cybertruck Will the truck come with a full size spare? 1622943301159

Last edited:

CyberMoose

First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
Country flag
So what is "Plan B" for those "Anti-Spare drivers soon to be pedestrians" out there when you have that "not plug-able moment" and find yourself not in your driveway and 100 miles from anywhere on a weekend at night in the mountains and it's snowing and you did not stay in a Holiday Inn last night? Just wondering how that is gonna play out. What would of been a 15 minute break in the action is now possibly a few hours waiting for a flatbed tow to civilization then awaiting a few days for a spare tire pre-mounted on a rim to be shipped in because where you ended up has no 24 hour tire shop with attached warehouse for that monstrous tire. I don't think FedEX or UPS has that airdrop delivery method perfected just yet nor able to fly in such a heavy object to your exact location with that drone thingy. I am listening.
I've mentioned this a few time and at least one other person has as well. Plan B is a towing subscription such as CAA or AAA when you are driving around in areas that you are almost certainly going to have a fast responce. If i'm going 100 miles from anywhere, or going to the mountains, or going anywhere that I don't think i'll get a fast responce, it's as simple as putting a spare in the bed.

I find a subscription to a towing service pretty necessary, if you happen to get two flats that you can't plug, or your truck dies for some reason, or any other reason that would require a tow. it's probably going to be hundred of dollars minimum which would pay for years of a subscription. So if I'm already going to have the subscription, I don't mind driving around without a spare when i'm within 30 minutes of a city because they can just tow me back home where I will have a spare. If I have to wait 30 minutes, that's okay when i've got Tesla arcade and possibly a gaming computer built in (not confirmed for Cybertruck).

JBee

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
. Professional Hobbyist
Country flag
Tyre availability won't be trivial especially in remote places where EV and CTs are less common.

A bit like EV chargers, in that nobody wants to put up a charger if there's no EVs to charge and no-one wants a EV if there's no chargers nearby. It's just that 4x4 tyres are at least one if not two orders of magnitude less available than chargers because a store doesn't need that particular one that often. It will take a few years before its worth it for a tyre shop to stock a CT tyre, in the mean time you could be waiting a day or so and need a car rental in the mean time.

Red61224

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yugo
Country flag
This does give me a bit of peace of mind:

Elon Musk Claims “The Truck You Want In The Apocalypse Is The Cybertruck”

I just can’t see how this can be the focus of the design, having spaceX SS, that tough glass and let CT be stranded while a Grand Cherokee with a full size spare drives by. Elon wanted CC to kick ass in as many areas as possible. Spare is a solution that has been around for decades. They won’t put out a CT in 2022 that is less capable. The rest of the Tesla’s that have been made so far are road vehicles with efficiency in mind. CT is an apocalypse machine that goes to help others not call for help. It is suppose to project strength and nothing is weaker than being stranded hoping someone comes to help you. Or worse having to borrow a spare from F150 lightening or R1T.

The solution may not be what we can imagine or expect but I have a feeling there will be a good solution and it won’t be call Tesla or AAA for help during Apocalypse. There are a ton of smart features about CT, they won’t be dumb about keeping you going. Have a little faith.

I bet you agree that some of us that live in the "fly over states" are not so fortunate to live right next door to a Big Box Tire Store and sometimes we have to be prepared for life's little detours?:LOL:

Been there and I am sure you have too. Grand Pappy said: "They's two types of drivers son, them that's had a flat (not fixable) and them that will in the future."

Last edited:

Red61224

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yugo
Country flag
I've mentioned this a few time and at least one other person has as well. Plan B is a towing subscription such as CAA or AAA when you are driving around in areas that you are almost certainly going to have a fast responce. If i'm going 100 miles from anywhere, or going to the mountains, or going anywhere that I don't think i'll get a fast responce, it's as simple as putting a spare in the bed.

I find a subscription to a towing service pretty necessary, if you happen to get two flats that you can't plug, or your truck dies for some reason, or any other reason that would require a tow. it's probably going to be hundred of dollars minimum which would pay for years of a subscription. So if I'm already going to have the subscription, I don't mind driving around without a spare when i'm within 30 minutes of a city because they can just tow me back home where I will have a spare. If I have to wait 30 minutes, that's okay when i've got Tesla arcade and possibly a gaming computer built in (not confirmed for Cybertruck).
So now you have to make that decision each day where will I be driving today......what will I carry, then life happens and you find yourself short. Good luck with that one. :ROFLMAO:

Here's a fun little scenario, you and the SO are out enjoying the beauty of Kaibab National Forest, think North Rim Park on the Grand Canyon on a Saturday afternoon in October. You find that sharp little rock with your name on it with your right front tire, cuts right into the sidewall (not plug-able) your nearest tow truck will come out of Page, AZ (3 1/2 to 4 hours away) if the driver is able to leave upon receiving your call. Your truck gets towed but due to the Bat Stew Flu, you can't ride with the driver and have to find "other transportation" to Page to get the tire fixed. Now the fellas over at Big O tire shop are great but they don't open till 8:AM on MONDAY morning and will be glad to get you on your way, they are good like that. Monday morning you stroll in and find out that "your size tire" might be delivered on Tuesday or Wednesday depending on the weather. So a couple of nights in the Best Western give you the opportunity to explore the scenic sights of downtown beautiful Page, AZ and enjoy the local dinners and get in some walking.

Some of us that live in the "flyover states" are not so fortunate to live right next door to a Big Box Tire Store and sometimes we have to be prepared for life's little detours?

Not about to depend on others for what I can do myself.

CyberMoose

First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
Country flag
So now you have to make that decision each day where will I be driving today......what will I carry, then life happens and you find yourself short. Good luck with that one. :ROFLMAO:

Here's a fun little scenario, you and the SO are out enjoying the beauty of Kaibab National Forest, think North Rim Park on the Grand Canyon on a Saturday afternoon in October. You find that sharp little rock with your name on it with your right front tire, cuts right into the sidewall (not plug-able) your nearest tow truck will come out of Page, AZ (3 1/2 to 4 hours away) if the driver is able to leave upon receiving your call. Your truck gets towed but due to the Bat Stew Flu, you can't ride with the driver and have to find "other transportation" to Page to get the tire fixed. Now the fellas over at Big O tire shop are great but they don't open till 8:AM on MONDAY morning and will be glad to get you on your way, they are good like that. Monday morning you stroll in and find out that "your size tire" might be delivered on Tuesday or Wednesday depending on the weather. So a couple of nights in the Best Western give you the opportunity to explore the scenic sights of downtown beautiful Page, AZ and enjoy the local dinners and get in some walking.

Some of us that live in the "flyover states" are not so fortunate to live right next door to a Big Box Tire Store and sometimes we have to be prepared for life's little detours?

Not about to depend on others for what I can do myself.
I guess you're right, you don't need a towing subscription when the worst possible scenario that could ever happen in the middle of nowhere is a single unpluggable flat.

Also, who has to make a decision about where they are going to go everyday? I don't know about you but I have a full time job, I know if i'm going to work or not, when work is over I know if i'm going to be driving hours away from home. i'm not too worried about places i'm likely to go after work because that still won't be far to get towed.

I don't just drive hours away from home without knowing that i'm driving hours away from home. Sure I might make a decision while out to go visit a friend a few towns over, but the nice thing about that is i'm passing through multiple towns. I'm never just out in my truck and think "hey, i'm going to go camping" while I don't have any camping gear or supplies on me.

The arguement that you are making completely relies on me going on a sudden trip to somewhere 3 1/3 to 4 hours away from the nearest available towtruck and don't have enough time to grab the full size spare from my garage and strap it in the bed.
Also with my towing service that you, being so independant, don't need. I can get towed over 300km and then if I want to go further I can just opt to pay a little more per km and not even have to worry about a huge hookup fee. So even if I have multiple flats that can't be plugged, I could just ask them to take it back to my home and i'll put on the winter tires until i have replaced the damaged tires.

Also don't give me some flyover state argument. I've had 37" tires on my Jeep, when I needed new tires I ordered them. I don't go to the store and toss as many as I want into a shopping cart.

JBee

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
. Professional Hobbyist
Country flag
BTW just to clarify when I say CT tyre I mean a custom tyre that Tesla is likely to have made, because I doubt they will find an off the shelf product that has the onroad performance to make the advertised range viable, let alone have some off-road cred. They already had some custom sidewalls for the MTRs they had on the CT prototype so I'm pretty confident a custom tyre is on the cards.

Diehard

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Olds Aurora V8, Saturn Sky redline, Lightning, CT2
Country flag
I guess you're right, you don't need a towing subscription when the worst possible scenario that could ever happen in the middle of nowhere is a single unpluggable flat.

Also, who has to make a decision about where they are going to go everyday? I don't know about you but I have a full time job, I know if i'm going to work or not, when work is over I know if i'm going to be driving hours away from home. i'm not too worried about places i'm likely to go after work because that still won't be far to get towed.

I don't just drive hours away from home without knowing that i'm driving hours away from home. Sure I might make a decision while out to go visit a friend a few towns over, but the nice thing about that is i'm passing through multiple towns. I'm never just out in my truck and think "hey, i'm going to go camping" while I don't have any camping gear or supplies on me.

The arguement that you are making completely relies on me going on a sudden trip to somewhere 3 1/3 to 4 hours away from the nearest available towtruck and don't have enough time to grab the full size spare from my garage and strap it in the bed.
Also with my towing service that you, being so independant, don't need. I can get towed over 300km and then if I want to go further I can just opt to pay a little more per km and not even have to worry about a huge hookup fee. So even if I have multiple flats that can't be plugged, I could just ask them to take it back to my home and i'll put on the winter tires until i have replaced the damaged tires.

Also don't give me some flyover state argument. I've had 37" tires on my Jeep, when I needed new tires I ordered them. I don't go to the store and toss as many as I want into a shopping cart.
Our preferences are different depending on our risk tolerance, history and life style. One solution may not be the best for everyone. Your solution is perfectly acceptable for many. If you have driven mostly on smooth roads for twenty years and have had only two plugable flats you took care of in 5 minutes, your office is 5 minutes away and your weekends are usually spent 20 minutes away, no one can convince you lugging around a full size spare, losing range, performance and space for another twenty years makes sense.

On the other hand for someone like me who:
  • has had two unplugable blowouts in the same year,
  • go on a lot of long distance trips
  • is getting too old to want to add one more complication to his life (worrying about storing, loading and unloading the heavy spare)
  • Never had winter tires at home
  • who even with 300km tow contract would prefer to keep going after getting a flat at km 200 rather than waiting to be towed back home
losing range and space for the spare is well worth it.

The beauty of the spare issue with CT is that it does not seem to matter what we think. At the update reveal we will find out what we have and if it is too much for some of us, cancelation is easy. I probably will still get the CT regardless and buy a spare and keep it in Vault all the time and only take it out when I need to move a lot of stuff but it would bug me every time I see it. It will mess up the clean look everywhere else in CT.

Last edited:

Red61224

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yugo
Country flag

As a former AAA member I had the "peace of mind" years ago while out traveling this great country I call home or so I thought till I needed it one day in the bayou country of Louisiana. I discovered it was about worthless as tits on a boar hog so now I have towing on my insurance. I checked the AAA website to get the current annual subscription rates.

AAA Premier®
$112.00/year

AAA Towing benefits

Across U.S. and Canada
  • 1 tow per household up to 200 miles, remaining tows up to 100 miles
  • Members get up to 4 service calls each membership year
So the scenario as presented earlier already exceeds the the 200 mile tow range limit by 50 miles, remember that's TOTAL r/t mileage.

Don't get me wrong, I definitely see there is a market for AAA, my 35 y.o. BIL (a teacher) was clueless on how to change a tire on his minivan and I dropped everything and drove to his location 45 minutes away, and showed him the owner's manual and guided him thru the arduous task of changing a tire on the side of the road that day and I did not touch a thing, it was the first time that boy had ever done that so the teacher got schooled that day and learned a new skill. BTW I gave him a pair of gloves to put in his glove box beside the owners manual so he did not get a paper cut and bleed out next time he had to reference said manual.

But for me and my house I will ALWAYS have a spare and I ain't asking nobody for "nuthin" if I can get it on my own.

CyberMoose

First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
Country flag
As a former AAA member I had the "peace of mind" years ago while out traveling this great country I call home or so I thought till I needed it one day in the bayou country of Louisiana. I discovered it was about worthless as tits on a boar hog so now I have towing on my insurance. I checked the AAA website to get the current annual subscription rates.

AAA Premier®
$112.00/year

AAA Towing benefits

Across U.S. and Canada
  • 1 tow per household up to 200 miles, remaining tows up to 100 miles
  • Members get up to 4 service calls each membership year
So the scenario as presented earlier already exceeds the the 200 mile tow range limit by 50 miles, remember that's TOTAL r/t mileage.

Don't get me wrong, I definitely see there is a market for AAA, my 35 y.o. BIL (a teacher) was clueless on how to change a tire on his minivan and I dropped everything and drove to his location 45 minutes away, and showed him the owner's manual and guided him thru the arduous task of changing a tire on the side of the road that day and I did not touch a thing, it was the first time that boy had ever done that so the teacher got schooled that day and learned a new skill. BTW I gave him a pair of gloves to put in his glove box beside the owners manual so he did not get a paper cut and bleed out next time he had to reference said manual.

But for me and my house I will ALWAYS have a spare and I ain't asking nobody for "nuthin" if I can get it on my own.
I just want to point out that if you need a tow 250 miles away, they won't just say too bad, there is pricing per mile after the limit per trip. Also as far as i know and i've read the actual terms and conditions for my membership, it doesn't charge round trip. i've had my car towed about 400km back home after my hub assembly was damaged and I definitely didn't pay for them to drive out to get me.
Also I wouldn't consider it as asking someone for something if you have the service. I save more than the cost of my premier membership each year off my insurance discount, travel discount, even my favourite restaurant gives me 10% off if i am a CAA member. There are also a lot of other perks to the service, like since i'm a premier member, if i get into a car accident or have a mechanical failure 200km+ from my listed address, I can be reimbursed up to $2000 for hotel/food or a car rental or commercial transportion (only 1 of those 3). I also get money off commercial transport of my vehicle back home. Also when you get towed if your vehicle actually needs repairs, you get a 2 day car rental complimentary.
Even if the Cybertruck has a full size spare packed away somewhere, it's still a great service to have.

Also i'm assuming from the story that you mentioned that AAA wasn't able to get to you in your location. However, if you use another towing service, they usually reimburse a minimum of 50% up to around $500. I got towed before off a highway before because the police didn't want me on the shoulder waiting for CAA and they reimbursed nearly the entire amount, i paid less than $50 extra.

We should learn more about the Cybertruck very shortly. The Model S deliver event is in 3 days and I'm sure they will have some sort of information for the Cybertruck, even if it's just giving us a proposed timeline of when we will learn more. Soon we will know what will be stock and what options we might have, including having a spare or not.

OP
OP

Mythrainder

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Compliance
Country flag
Forget throwing a spair in the bed, just throw it into the handy garbage can behind the front seats; i've seen lots of tires, burger bags, cups, engine parts, saddles and other tack, fence mending tools, rolls of barbed wire, tractor exhausts, disks and plow shears, small engines for lawnmowers, large well pumps, paint cans and panties thrown back there in all models of trucks with socker mom (rear seats). I'd like to have a CT regular cab (read two/three sester) in the future and have a long bed. Oh and as far as weight goes, the greenhouse will weigh more then two spairs probably.

CyberMoose

First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
Country flag
i've seen lots of tires, burger bags, cups, engine parts, saddles and other tack, fence mending tools, rolls of barbed wire, tractor exhausts, disks and plow shears, small engines for lawnmowers, large well pumps, paint cans and panties thrown back there
The amount of things i've seen in the back of trucks that my friends have, or friends of friends, is unbelieveable. It almost pains me to see how someone could let their truck get so dirty. I think I missed the memo of truck guys using their truck as a trash can but you are not wrong. I haven't seen a lot of very clean trucks in my group of friends.

But as Cybertruck owners, we can make a difference.

John K

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt, CT reserve day 2
Country flag
The amount of things i've seen in the back of trucks that my friends have, or friends of friends, is unbelieveable. It almost pains me to see how someone could let their truck get so dirty. I think I missed the memo of truck guys using their truck as a trash can but you are not wrong. I haven't seen a lot of very clean trucks in my group of friends.

But as Cybertruck owners, we can make a difference.
Touched upon a pet peeve using the bed as a trash can For weeks at a time.
Sponsored