Will the truck come with a full size spare?

flamaest

First Name
Fabian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
Occupation
Systems Engineer
Country flag
Spare tire would be nice, but you can already get a truck wheel/tire for DIRT CHEAP at any wally-world, as the USA sells 10x truck tires than cars/SUVs.
Sponsored

CyberMoose

First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
Country flag
Touched upon a pet peeve using the bed as a trash can For weeks at a time.
It makes me feel so bad for trucks that aren't used on a farm or something. I've got a couple friends that have trucks and don't even need them and the only thing it seems they use the bed for is junk or trash. It's funny that the easiest part of any vehicle to clean is often so dirty when you see peoples beds. Like it takes a few minutes at a self serving car wash to take out the trash and just hose down the bed.

Chip Geek

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Volt [CT3] On order: Tesla MS-LR
Country flag
It seems to me that most people posting here have not mentioned storing the spare in or UNDER the frunk. Have any of you with CAD (or other similar) skills tried to fit a full size spare there?

I'm wondering if the bias about this is because we've been conditioned for decades with "you can't put a spare there - it's where the engine goes!". ;)

rlhamil

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 Trans Am WS6, 2007 PT Cruiser GT
Occupation
retired
Country flag
I would say 'wash the mats out, that's what they're for'.

-Crissa
Reminds me of Bill Clinton saying he had Astroturf in his El Camino. And then passing it off as for protecting luggage, rather than a mobile venue for extracurricular activities. Probably depended on what the meaning of the word "luggage" is. :)

JBee

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
. Professional Hobbyist
Country flag
It seems to me that most people posting here have not mentioned storing the spare in or UNDER the frunk. Have any of you with CAD (or other similar) skills tried to fit a full size spare there?

I'm wondering if the bias about this is because we've been conditioned for decades with "you can't put a spare there - it's where the engine goes!". ;)
I tried putting the spare in the frunk of the CAD model before. It does work if you have some sort of draw that slides it halfway under the dash. But its not a good spot for absorbing crash energy. Plus I'd rather have a large frunk for tools and luggage.

They just need to jiggle the wheelbase and rear bumper design 4" or so. A rear draw that comes out the bumper mid section would be perfect. You could then make the spare optional or remove it as required for more storage...or even use it to support the tailgate to extend the bed and move some bumper lights back.

OP
OP

Mythrainder

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Compliance
Country flag
The amount of things i've seen in the back of trucks that my friends have, or friends of friends, is unbelieveable. It almost pains me to see how someone could let their truck get so dirty. I think I missed the memo of truck guys using their truck as a trash can but you are not wrong. I haven't seen a lot of very clean trucks in my group of friends.

But as Cybertruck owners, we can make a difference.
I agree and i think you misread my meaning. I was talking about the backseats. I've never owned a 4 door pickup and the ones you see in town are always hip deep in trash with dads toy strapped in the bed. Cow hands and rodio bums keep their tack dry in there on a one off event.

CyberMoose

First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
Country flag
I tried putting the spare in the frunk of the CAD model before. It does work if you have some sort of draw that slides it halfway under the dash. But its not a good spot for absorbing crash energy. Plus I'd rather have a large frunk for tools and luggage.

They just need to jiggle the wheelbase and rear bumper design 4" or so. A rear draw that comes out the bumper mid section would be perfect. You could then make the spare optional or remove it as required for more storage...or even use it to support the tailgate to extend the bed and move some bumper lights back.
I think the whole spare vs storage was probably a big discussion when Tesla engineered the Cybertruck. Some people want a spare, some people want more storage. It'll be impossible to make everyone completely happy.

One of the biggest issues I have with my truck is there just isn't enough non bed storage. I've got a container mounted in the bed but it's not that big so I still have a decent size bed. Other than that, I've got a glove box. If Tesla decided to altar the Cybertruck a bit to include a spare, at least we'll have a vault and Tslot/Ltracks in the bed so we could customize things however we want for storage and it should still be easily removeable. I personally lean a little more towards wanting tons of storage rather than a spare.

shaneaus

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy 1500 Z71
Country flag
I'm not as concerned about a full size spare since the CT has an on board air compressor.

If a minor leak I'll just air the tile up to greet home or to a tire shop.

If a larger leak I'll use a tire plug kit to do the same.

Only real issue is a completely blown tire. In that case one would be fubared without a spare.

JBee

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
. Professional Hobbyist
Country flag
I think the whole spare vs storage was probably a big discussion when Tesla engineered the Cybertruck. Some people want a spare, some people want more storage. It'll be impossible to make everyone completely happy.

One of the biggest issues I have with my truck is there just isn't enough non bed storage. I've got a container mounted in the bed but it's not that big so I still have a decent size bed. Other than that, I've got a glove box. If Tesla decided to altar the Cybertruck a bit to include a spare, at least we'll have a vault and Tslot/Ltracks in the bed so we could customize things however we want for storage and it should still be easily removeable. I personally lean a little more towards wanting tons of storage rather than a spare.
I agree that you can't have enough storage on a truck. I went back to my CAD drawing and really the best solution would be to have a rear draw behind the bumper. I saw an option on the first page of this thread, where if the motor assembly/casting would be low enough you could have a full bed length draw up to the vault cover roll. That way you could have the spare over the motor, and still have that "underbed" storage as a pull out drawer. Much better than having to dig under your bed load.
Tesla Cybertruck Will the truck come with a full size spare? CT Spare Drawer
Tesla Cybertruck Will the truck come with a full size spare? CT Spare Drawer vTo

But after looking at the CAD dimension there's not really enough room there for a full length drawer, unless you make the bed higher, which is not what you want. There's also an issue of mounting the suspension arms structurally somewhere with the tyre in between, But it would be enough to make a drawer for the spare just behind the bumper up until the rear motor, where you could take the spare out, or option it without. That underbed storage is a waste of space IMHO if you can't get to it with something in the bed.

I'd like to see the wing storage and frunk. The frunk could be quite large there's about 1.5m³ (52cf) of which about 1000l (35cf) could be useable even with the motor underneath and up to the firewall. Question is where the cooling will go etc for the aircon and batteries (if it has any with 4680s). It would be really nice to see the front grill go up with the hood, that way you could have a slide out drawer there too that actually goes under the very long dash inside, without having to reach.

One thing I also noticed is that the wings/rear wheel arches are not very wide, and because there are no wheel arches inside the bed you will be quite limited on what width tyres will fit in there (it actually needs those wheel flares to keep the tyres "inboard". But wide tyres aren't great for an EV and providing they do the 35" without a ridiculously low profile tyre it will be fine off road too.

P.S. that drawer would also make a good slideout kitchen to rival Rivian.

Last edited:

Red61224

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yugo
Country flag
Touched upon a pet peeve using the bed as a trash can For weeks at a time.
I am holding out for that push button feature where the Mid Gate opens up and you can toss your food or beverage container into the back seat and it automatically compacts it into the vault. Twice a year you can make a trip to the recycle ramp and dump the contents thereby saving the planet.

Red61224

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yugo
Country flag
Reminds me of Bill Clinton saying he had Astroturf in his El Camino. And then passing it off as for protecting luggage, rather than a mobile venue for extracurricular activities. Probably depended on what the meaning of the word "luggage" is. :)
I think he meant "baggage" and in some circles that term is often used to describe "relationships" with certain homo sapiens and can be used rather loosely as loose people do what they do do.
Sponsored