Will you sell TSLA shares to pay for your CT?

Who is cashing in shares to buy their CT

• Total voters

electricAK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck dual-motor
Country flag
Better to charge the truck to a business expense and use the tax breaks for free money from the government.
I looked into doing this, and my conclusion was that in order to deduct the cost of the truck, you have to be able to prove (with verifiable mileage logs) that the truck is used more than 50% of the time for work. It's a big red flag for the IRS, and there's a decent chance of getting an audit.
Sponsored

Quicksilver

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan van
Occupation
Retired military
Country flag
I just picked up five more shares at less than a grand each.
As long as it stays below 1200 a share I'll prob pick up more shares when spare funds allow.
My original plan was to sell all or part of my stock to offset or pay for the CT.
Then I had to buy the new Diesel Pig to replace the old Diesel Pig (have to have a heavy hauler for the farm) and take on a new big payment.
Plan is now to pay off all other loans and use that money to make payment on the CT and hold all the stock.
My guy is predicting Tesla to be 3500 by 2025.
Should that happen I'll sell enough to pay off CT and hold the rest for the Grandkids.

ecotrials

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GMC Sierra, electric trials bike
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
There appears to be a very large hole in the survey... those selling some shares < half the cost of the CT. From reading the posts so far, that would be a fairly significant category :)

I initially invested in Tesla to help pay for the CT. Then over time I realized the potential value and rethought my plan, which morphed into keep the stock, take the longest term with least down payment but enough to be able to afford the monthly payment+ insurance. So I started saving for the down payment, only to realize "wait, your savings account is paying you .005 (half of 1 percent)". So I took my savings and invested that too. I realize I will have to pay capital gains on the shares I need to sell to make whatever the down payment turns out to be, but I think overall I will come out ahead. Looking back a couple of months I wish I had come to this realization when the stock dipped below $800. (I don't use the near $750 number as I think the chances of me hitting it at its lowest l point are very slim at best). Still that is a $200/share miss. Ah well, just be patient............................... If the stock performs as we all hope, then the additional wait we are all suffering through may be offset by gains of the stock, which ,at least a tiny bit, helps mitigate the suffering. And as much as I look forward to the stock gaining value, I think the real treat will be when Tesla starts paying a dividend. I believe that is still years away as there are many gigafactories yet to be built, but at some point, woohoo!
Paul

OP
OP
Tinker71

Tinker71

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1976 electric conversion bus
Occupation
Project Manager
Country flag
There appears to be a very large hole in the survey... those selling some shares < half the cost of the CT. From reading the posts so far, that would be a fairly significant category :)

I initially invested in Tesla to help pay for the CT. Then over time I realized the potential value and rethought my plan, which morphed into keep the stock, take the longest term with least down payment but enough to be able to afford the monthly payment+ insurance. So I started saving for the down payment, only to realize "wait, your savings account is paying you .005 (half of 1 percent)". So I took my savings and invested that too. I realize I will have to pay capital gains on the shares I need to sell to make whatever the down payment turns out to be, but I think overall I will come out ahead. Looking back a couple of months I wish I had come to this realization when the stock dipped below $800. (I don't use the near $750 number as I think the chances of me hitting it at its lowest l point are very slim at best). Still that is a $200/share miss. Ah well, just be patient............................... If the stock performs as we all hope, then the additional wait we are all suffering through may be offset by gains of the stock, which ,at least a tiny bit, helps mitigate the suffering. And as much as I look forward to the stock gaining value, I think the real treat will be when Tesla starts paying a dividend. I believe that is still years away as there are many gigafactories yet to be built, but at some point, woohoo!
Paul
That is the great thing about forums and hearing peoples ideas. I had planned on 50% down paid with stock, but if the stock looks like it will have good growth in 2025 I will probably do as you suggest and use a much smaller down payment. I have a home equity line of credit. I could easily use that and with a little discipline pay it down with occasional Tesla sales. I haven't owed money on a car since 2010. It makes me uncomfortable.

I bought in 2016 and was lucky I didn't sell in the next 3 years when the stock sat stagnant. I sold a little at $900 and bought more back at $800 but I am probably done. I am already overweighed in Tesla. The stock will double in a couple years, but we will not have another 2020.
If Elon goes crazy or takes the next rocket to Mars, people that are really overweighed are going to be in a world of hurt.

TAP1A

First Name
carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
cybertruck tri motor, tesla 3 performance
Occupation
Digital Operations Engineer
Country flag
Initial plan was to save up for CT and hopefully pay cash. That plan quickly evolved into investing the money I'm saving into Tesla (via Robinhood) instead of just letting it sit in a savings account. So the evolved plan was to pay for the CT with my Tesla shares. This plan may evolve again, depending on what Tesla stock is doing when the CT becomes available. If it looks like Tesla stock is growing significantly better than the Interest on a loan, I might gamble and take out a loan and pay it off slowly from my TSLA stock.
this is the same exact plan i had. save up to buy cash. since its been delayed put all the savings into the stock so it can grow. depending on how the stock is doing ill either sell all of it or take out loan and keep the stocks

OP
OP
Tinker71

Tinker71

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Project Manager
Country flag
Having bought most of my shares in 2017 I am still doing OK, but I am not sure about splurging on the CT anymore. I don't REALLY need a truck at all. My Sienna/RAV4/trailer get the job done 95% of the time with a little work arounds. Even if I can get something close to the CT2 I ordered for $55k or so, that is still 2x what I paid for my other vehicles.

I figured stupid high returns = splurge on $$$ fancy truck. Not so sure at the moment. I guess we will wait and see what happens in 2 years. There is a lot of decent competition coming from everywhere. I am counting on Robotaxi and Virtual powerplant to be the differentiator with a little help from ominibot AI self learning. Tesla Auto will do OK but wont come close to justifying $1500 which will make me feel like splurging.

OP
OP
Tinker71

Tinker71

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Project Manager
Country flag
I am aware and fine with long term capital gains tax. I don't mind paying my share. You have to sell sometime. Best case you spread your sales such that you don't jump into a temporarily higher tax bracket. I happened to bet pretty big on a pharmaceutical stock that hasn't paid off. I will probably need to right that off around the same time as I sell TSLA. So I guess that will help :(

happy intruder

First Name
O. K.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3 Jun 2019..... Model S Jan 2020
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Having bought most of my shares in 2017 I am still doing OK, but I am not sure about splurging on the CT anymore. I don't REALLY need a truck at all. My Sienna/RAV4/trailer get the job done 95% of the time with a little work arounds. Even if I can get something close to the CT2 I ordered for $55k or so, that is still 2x what I paid for my other vehicles.

I figured stupid high returns = splurge on $$$ fancy truck. Not so sure at the moment. I guess we will wait and see what happens in 2 years. There is a lot of decent competition coming from everywhere. I am counting on Robotaxi and Virtual powerplant to be the differentiator with a little help from ominibot AI self learning. Tesla Auto will do OK but wont come close to justifying $1500 which will make me feel like splurging.
Agree with you stand......I think there are a lot of us, I think, who are becoming more and more disillusioned....however, there is a lot of BS and rumors which help add to the apprehension and not having any worthwhile updates is making it more difficult to understand what is going on.....no news, updates and no Giga press really make it difficult...

happy intruder

First Name
O. K.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3 Jun 2019..... Model S Jan 2020
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
That is the great thing about forums and hearing peoples ideas. I had planned on 50% down paid with stock, but if the stock looks like it will have good growth in 2025 I will probably do as you suggest and use a much smaller down payment. I have a home equity line of credit. I could easily use that and with a little discipline pay it down with occasional Tesla sales. I haven't owed money on a car since 2010. It makes me uncomfortable.

I bought in 2016 and was lucky I didn't sell in the next 3 years when the stock sat stagnant. I sold a little at $900 and bought more back at $800 but I am probably done. I am already overweighed in Tesla. The stock will double in a couple years, but we will not have another 2020.
If Elon goes crazy or takes the next rocket to Mars, people that are really overweighed are going to be in a world of hurt.
and it looks like Tesla will split again in August adding to the dilemma of what to do about stock...

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
no news, updates and no Giga press really make it difficult...
We know where the giga press is. It's being packed up in Italy now. It was being shown. Then it's going to Texas. That's news. We know where it is. We know that it took nine months from gigapress to production on the Y, and six months from Italy to gigapress.

That means Cybertruck next summer.

What's to be disillusioned with? It'll only be 18 months late at that point.

-Crissa

charliemagpie

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CybrBEAST
Occupation
retired
Country flag
Paying taxes is a result of making profit. When you choose to sell.

This is a good problem to have.

I wish more tax upon you all !!

HaulingAss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 F-150, 2018 Model 3 P, FS DM Cybertruck
Country flag
Buying your Cybertruck with your capital gains is not free. You have to pay taxes on the profit from your stock sale.
If you bought enough TSLA stock, you can pay the capital gains tax with the capital gains and have enough left over to buy a bunch of Cybertrucks with no additional money beyond the gain on the stock.

I still wouldn't call that "free" as you are spending your gains! But it's the next best thing!
Sponsored