Reaction score
Website
shorttakes.substack.com
Vehicles
1997 Tahoe 2 door 4x4
Occupation
Retired software developer and heavy commercial design builder
Country flag
ONLY motorcycle riders “get it” that lane splitting is safest protocol for separating vehicle types that have exceedingly different rates of acceleration. People who have traveled around to third world countries see it - get it. Motorcycles are the dominate form and mode of transport splitting lanes, moving to the front at stoplights dramtically demonstrates the efficiency, safety and benefits accrue to 4-wheel vehicle traffic by the decongestion of mixed modes.
Can’t tell you how many righteous drivers mirrors have passed so close to my helmet while in a lane, at speed limit. Many a horn honk has sounded a splitting lane to forward to front of a stopped queue. Yet, whether on motorcycle or pedal bike the traffic queue has unimpeded free roadway ahead after the light turns green.
Still, the umbrage of privilege, decorum and Kindergarten place-in-line continue disabused. IDK there is a solution.
Sponsored

SwampNut

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla M3LR, Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Geek
Country flag
But we'll all agree that cutting another motorist, motorcycle or another car, is a dangerous maneuver.
I won't agree, since I know that often "weave" and "cutting" mean different things to people without a motorcycle perspective. If I'm doing 10 MPH faster than traffic and need to move from the strip on the right of the cars to the one on the left, I will weave/cut/whatever to get there. Very quickly, with a perception you can't understand from where you sit in a car.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
Just hold steady and let the motorcycles flow past like helium through... well, anything. I'd ask you to avoid hanging your wheels over lane one's position three, but I doubt you'd understand.

Motorcycles lane splitting and filtering are just doing what bicycles are allowed to do.

-Crissa

Last edited:

SwampNut

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Geek
Country flag
Motorcycles pane splitting and filtering are just doing what bicycles are allowed to do.
And are much more capable at it. I had a bicycle fall over in front of me a few months ago when he tried a maneuver that his legs couldn't keep up with (no motor power). Luckily for him, AP is super aware of bikes. Too wary in fact.

Cybertruckee

Banned
Banned
First Name
Yosemite Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Red Rider
Occupation
Finance Manager
Country flag
I won't agree, since I know that often "weave" and "cutting" mean different things to people without a motorcycle perspective. If I'm doing 10 MPH faster than traffic and need to move from the strip on the right of the cars to the one on the left, I will weave/cut/whatever to get there. Very quickly, with a perception you can't understand from where you sit in a car.
My wife is very confident with my driving with zero accident since I learn to drive.

But when she screams when the motorcycle cut us off, then it's definitely a dangerous maneuver.

I should not really care as much usually because he/she would be getting the worst of it -- except my conscience of course and my clean driving record.;)

Cybertruckee

Banned
Banned
First Name
Yosemite Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Red Rider
Occupation
Finance Manager
Country flag
Nope. Her fear-based, uneducated reaction has zero bearing on the reality of the situation.
Since you are in this habit anyway, yup, you know my uneducated wife more than I do.

And I hope you'll stay safe and accident-free when you do this kind of maneuver in LA, that you'll not get more than their California universal one-finger salute and your motorcycle is faster than their soup up muscle car.

FutureBoy

First Name
Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag
But when she screams when the motorcycle cut us off, then it's definitely a dangerous maneuver.
Nope. Her fear-based, uneducated reaction has zero bearing on the reality of the situation.
Well, to be fair, it probably depends on how loud she screams. If it is loud enough and sudden enough, it could cause @Cybertruckee to have a heart attack or at the very least raise the stress levels to cause enough long-term damage to shorten life. It is unclear whether any of this would have any effect on the motorcycle driver or other vehicles in traffic.

SwampNut

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Geek
Country flag
And I hope you'll stay safe and accident-free when you do this kind of maneuver in LA, that you'll not get more than their California universal one-finger salute and your motorcycle is faster than their soup up muscle car.
I never ride in CA any more. And I'd avoid it completely if not for one obstinate relative who refuses to leave, most everyone else I know has.

In any case, I'm always responsible for my own life, if I depended on cagers in any state to be part of my survival, I wouldn't have 500k miles of non-injury riding behind me.

Cybertruckee

Banned
Banned
First Name
Yosemite Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Red Rider
Occupation
Finance Manager
Country flag
I never ride in CA any more. And I'd avoid it completely if not for one obstinate relative who refuses to leave, most everyone else I know has.
So the rest of the family can't anymore compete in their high-tech and knowledge-based economy? :p

SwampNut

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Geek
Country flag
Funny you mention that, and I get the joke, but…. The rest of us are tech and knowledge workers so we can compete from low cost places that aren’t dumps. One is “stuck” there as a physical worker with lower portability.

It is surprisingly hard to find a 400v to 12v or 24v converter. So simply grabbing high voltage somewhere to power a normal winch is not an obvious possibility. I’ve seen people taking high current DC from under a model 3 rear seat to power unapproved accessories.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
I don't need to know if Cybertruckee's wife is educated or not: Even I can get startled by a motorcycle ripping past me while I'm in my Mazda. The motorcyclist has a much better view of the road and is in the moment of inertia. They'll know much better if they screwed up than I will.

And yeah, the majority of of motorcycle injuries are the fault of the motorcyclist. It's a sad truth, but... that doesn't change that the types of collisions from lane splitting are more survivable than from not.

Let them flow past, drive your drive. (There's a motorcycle saying, ride your ride: don't let other traffic or riders push you to ride faster or the wrong path for your skill.)

-Crissa

Cybertruckee

Banned
Banned
First Name
Yosemite Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Red Rider
Occupation
Finance Manager
Country flag
I don't need to know if Cybertruckee's wife is educated or not: Even I can get startled by a motorcycle ripping past me while I'm in my Mazda. The motorcyclist has a much better view of the road and is in the moment of inertia. They'll know much better if they screwed up than I will.

And yeah, the majority of of motorcycle injuries are the fault of the motorcyclist. It's a sad truth, but... that doesn't change that the types of collisions from lane splitting are more survivable than from not.

Let them flow past, drive your drive. (There's a motorcycle saying, ride your ride: don't let other traffic or riders push you to ride faster or the wrong path for your skill.)

-Crissa
My wife was a financial analyst like me when we met but she had to sacrifice her career so I can reach the pinnacle of mine. Yes, she is the calmest and the kindest person for those who met her. And the voice of sobriety, reason and moderating influence during my road rage. :p

My near misses with motorcycle were when I'm merging into the fast lane and they cut me off so they can be ahead. They are not the most visible vehicle in the freeways.

Last edited:

ldjessee

First Name
Lloyd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Leaf, MYLR, Kaw 1700 Vaquero
Occupation
Business Intelligence Manager & Analyst
Country flag
I am a motorcyclist, my last trip was about 8 states, one of which was Texas, and from leaving my garage to returning to it I put 2,696 miles on the odometer. If I had not gotten COVID between Conroe, TX and Shreveport, LA, the trip would have been over 3,000 miles. People can be stupid regardless of what vehicle they are operating on the highway. I have seen cars create lanes of traffic where there are none.

When I used to work on helicopters, it was powered by a three phase system. They used lots of electrical actuators and preferred 3 phase because there was always energy, so there actuator never was in an unpowered state. Because of the availability of 3 phase power, that meant lots of things were ran off of it.

What I do not understand about this talk of 3 phase power use in Australia is how do you ever get more than 360 volts between any leg? From my (limited) knowledge of 3 phase power and what I have seen claimed here (and on quick internet searches on Australian 3 phase residential power), there is never a way to get a difference of 415 volts. The biggest it can be at any given time is 360 volts.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Three-phase_electric_power#/media/File:3_phase_AC_waveform.svg

If you look at how 3 phase waves usually are on each leg (one wave per leg, alternating at 120 degrees apart), the maximum difference is 1.5 * the maximum of any single leg (assuming the legs are identical).

So if one leg is peaked, the the other two are crossing the -0.5, so the maximum difference between two legs is 360 volts.

Now if they are simply rounding up or referring to some other aspect I am not understanding, feel free to let me know.

Also, at that point of peak voltage for one leg, the other two legs crossing at the -0.5 and thus have no potential difference from each other... Which is why I am asking why they call it 415v, when I can only ever see a 360 volt max difference.

Since we are talking about winches and some EVs do use 3 phase power for the electric motor, an electric winch motor could be 3 phase...

But I would never want hydraulic, I would never use pneumatic (as someone said, air is compressible), and as other have said, no shaft nor transmission, no PTO...

JBee

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
. Professional Hobbyist
Country flag
I am a motorcyclist, my last trip was about 8 states, one of which was Texas, and from leaving my garage to returning to it I put 2,696 miles on the odometer. If I had not gotten COVID between Conroe, TX and Shreveport, LA, the trip would have been over 3,000 miles. People can be stupid regardless of what vehicle they are operating on the highway. I have seen cars create lanes of traffic where there are none.

When I used to work on helicopters, it was powered by a three phase system. They used lots of electrical actuators and preferred 3 phase because there was always energy, so there actuator never was in an unpowered state. Because of the availability of 3 phase power, that meant lots of things were ran off of it.

What I do not understand about this talk of 3 phase power use in Australia is how do you ever get more than 360 volts between any leg? From my (limited) knowledge of 3 phase power and what I have seen claimed here (and on quick internet searches on Australian 3 phase residential power), there is never a way to get a difference of 415 volts. The biggest it can be at any given time is 360 volts.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Three-phase_electric_power#/media/File:3_phase_AC_waveform.svg

If you look at how 3 phase waves usually are on each leg (one wave per leg, alternating at 120 degrees apart), the maximum difference is 1.5 * the maximum of any single leg (assuming the legs are identical).

So if one leg is peaked, the the other two are crossing the -0.5, so the maximum difference between two legs is 360 volts.

Now if they are simply rounding up or referring to some other aspect I am not understanding, feel free to let me know.

Also, at that point of peak voltage for one leg, the other two legs crossing at the -0.5 and thus have no potential difference from each other... Which is why I am asking why they call it 415v, when I can only ever see a 360 volt max difference.

Since we are talking about winches and some EVs do use 3 phase power for the electric motor, an electric winch motor could be 3 phase...

But I would never want hydraulic, I would never use pneumatic (as someone said, air is compressible), and as other have said, no shaft nor transmission, no PTO...
Where do you get the 1.5 from?

It's 240V x √3 (or 1.732...) = 415.69V

That calculation is also mentioned in the "Principle" section of the link you posted. It also describes the difference between UK, Europe and Australia which are virtually the same, and then compared to USA. Australia is 400V/230V now too, since 2019 to suit EU.
Sponsored

Last edited: