Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MYP BLUE/WHITE, M3RWD GRAY/BLACK
Occupation
Multifaceted IT Professional
Country flag
Hello everyone,

Not only is this my first post (and is probably useless information haha) but my brother who works as a Mechanical Engineer in the Automotive field is in online training currently for hot forming via Autoform (sheet metal engineering software), and there's a Tesla employee also in the group learning it as well. My brother speculates they might be looking into it to make their vehicles lighter/stronger/more complex. Apparently, you can hot form stainless steel so thought it was worth mentioning here.

Anyway that's all - feel free to carry on living your lives.
Sponsored

Cybr on

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
17 UncorkedMS75awd+Upgrade fsd,M3LRawd+fsd,CT3FSD
Country flag
hello, and congrats. Thanks for joining in the fun!
I think a few of us here would love this. I’m not sure, but I think the color that I liked previously someone called gunmetal . It was beautiful. If I’m not mistaken, I think mini2nut a while back posted a really sweet tone. I will try and find it.

rr6013

First Name
Rex
Threads
Reaction score
Website
shorttakes.substack.com
Vehicles
1997 Tahoe 2 door 4x4
Occupation
Retired software developer and heavy commercial design builder
Country flag
Miruku Arms(sp) of Japan poured the barrels of Browning’s Automatic shotgun becoming the first ever to pass Brownings live fire 1200 rounds of ammunition test without a single failure in company history

They can hot pour barrels so accurately, sinter injection casting at full 8000# strength then surely why not hot mold S.S.? That would be another step closer to single process chassis.

Molding enables aero flow complexity in design preserving metal structural strength while providing for thickened density mass critical to collision safety.

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Tesla Model 3 LR
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
Hello everyone,

Not only is this my first post (and is probably useless information haha) but my brother who works as a Mechanical Engineer in the Automotive field is in online training currently for hot forming via Autoform (sheet metal engineering software), and there's a Tesla employee also in the group learning it as well. My brother speculates they might be looking into it to make their vehicles lighter/stronger/more complex. Apparently, you can hot form stainless steel so thought it was worth mentioning here.

Are there thickness limitations for hot forming stainless? Maybe, as in the animation link further on, they are considering hot forming of thinner stainless for non-exoskeleton parts so that they can weld them. Perhaps welding stainless and aluminum doesn't work so they need a stainless solution for the inner-to-outer shell such as the doors and bed?

firsttruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
none
Country flag
---------------------------------

Hot forming has been around for a long time.

The History of Hot Stamping in the Automotive Industry
Posted on September 30, 2019
By Lindberg/MPH
https://www.lindbergmph.com/blog/the-history-of-hot-stamping-in-the-automotive-industry

Hot Stamping Makes a Mark on Automotive
The Swedish company Plannja developed and patented hot stamping back in 1977 by using the technology primarily for the production of saw blades and lawnmower blades. In 1984, Saab Automotive AB became the first in the automotive industry to use hot stamping when they made a hardened boron steel component for their Saab 9000. In the decades since, more automakers have switched over to hot stamping to improve vehicle weight and fuel efficiency.

The Hot Stamping Process
Alternatively known as hot forming or press hardening, hot stamping is the process of forming metal while it is hot – usually at temperatures exceeding 900 degrees C – and then quenching the piece to rapidly cool the material. Hot stamping converts low-strength metal into a high-strength steel. Hot stamping can be used to create a number of structural automotive components, such as body pillars, roof rails, rockers, bumpers, and door intrusion beams. The hot stamping process helps to ensure these components are strong enough to withstand a large load and light enough to improve gas mileage. The process can also save on the cost to manufacture a part, particularly in the manufacturing of conventional rear frames and other components that require durable and light material.

10 Hot-stamping HSS ( High-Strength Steel ) FAQs The hows, whys, and what-fors of hot forming
By Kate Bachman
April 1, 2009
https://www.thefabricator.com/stampingjournal/article/stamping/10-hot-stamping-hss-faqs

Last edited:

TheLastStarfighter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Dodge Challenger, Tesla Model 3
Occupation
Industrial Engineer
Country flag
Hello everyone,

thanks for sharing.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Hello everyone,

Nice first post!

Unless I‘m misunderstanding what hot forming is, it seems likely Tesla would use this for all of their vehicles so it would make sense they would send engineers to training on the topic.

I’m not sure how hot forming affects the hardness on stainless.

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Tesla Model 3 LR
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
All I know is I better get a damn invite to the Cybertruck launch party :cautious:
Sadly, now knowing how they manage their events, I wouldn’t count on any of us getting an invitation. But they cannot stop us from coming to pick up our CTs when the time comes!

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Sadly, now knowing how they manage their events, I wouldn’t count on any of us getting an invitation. But they cannot stop us from coming to pick up our CTs when the time comes!
Hopefully they open that flood gate up!

Otherwise… They have well paid security teams which will almost certainly stop you and put you on the banned from future sales list.
Sponsored