g
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.twitter.com
Vehicles
Dual-CT
Occupation
I post Cybertruck stuff on the Internet and people like it.
Country flag
I think it was wrong to pretend this was a public service announcement. That makes it fake news. I have no issue with whatever hypothesis anyone has as long as they are honest about it.
Not at all my intention John. Never one for fake news but they clearly aren’t using one contiguous piece for the whole body. It was wrinkle at bends / corners I’d assume?

Wonder what kind of surprises there will be at the unveiling announcement
Sponsored

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
I think Tesla will be mimicking the aircraft industry by joining the bent panels using industrial strength adhesives. They may employ the use of jigs to get perfect alignment every time. Welding SS would cause distortion and change the color of the steel.
They've been practicing with advanced welding robots and weird techniques at SpaceX, and those have become more precise as they go.

-Crissa

HaulingAss

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 F-150, 2018 Model 3 Perform, FS Cybertruck
Country flag
They've been practicing with advanced welding robots and weird techniques at SpaceX, and those have become more precise as they go.

-Crissa
Exactly! There will be robot welding, plenty of it (but far less than traditional truck frames). There will be some glue but I don't think it will be relied upon very heavily. They might use gluing inside the outer panels where they need to attach things in areas that discoloration would be problem- or where they need a dielectric connection. In most areas they can weld where the discoloration would not be exposed. Welding is still the best way to join two pieces of steel whenever there is not a good reason to avoid welding.

OP
OP
greggertruck

greggertruck

First Name
g
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.twitter.com
Vehicles
Dual-CT
Occupation
Country flag
A bit of a zoom in on the brake @greggertruck posted above. Kind of a low-res shot so hard to get much, but it certainly looks like big steel brake.

1669094728942.png
They had the press area up first with the Y first, but I feel like this bodes well for late December early January demo / scrap trucks.

KrodEKid

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota corolla, Mazda 5
Country flag
FWIW. My limited understanding about vehicle engineering is that trucks handle most load in chassis which I expect will be stamped steel by the IDRA press for CT. The body panels will provide structural support as needed for as a "safety cage" but most of the strength in a vehicle us required in a chassis. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
FWIW. My limited understanding about vehicle engineering is that trucks handle most load in chassis which I expect will be stamped steel by the IDRA press for CT. The body panels will provide structural support as needed for as a "safety cage" but most of the strength in a vehicle us required in a chassis. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
IDRA Gigapress creates aluminum castings, not stamped steel. (This Is I think a front casting for a Model Y)

Tesla Cybertruck PSA: Cybertruck body shell exoskeleton is not one contiguous piece of bent steel 1669230928448

The casting will support the load, but the truck needs rigidity because the weight of the load is distributed across all 4 wheels.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
Most vehicles don't use a ladder frame anymore, and the strength comes from the body. Yes, most trucks don't do that yet, but most trucks are built to be made cheaply. Cheap can mean 'no new technology' in some features m too.

-Crissa

OP
OP
greggertruck

greggertruck

First Name
g
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.twitter.com
Vehicles
Dual-CT
Occupation
Country flag

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Tesla Model 3 LR
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
A bit of a zoom in on the brake @greggertruck posted above. Kind of a low-res shot so hard to get much, but it certainly looks like big steel brake.

1669094728942.png
not a brake. It is a stamping press if you believe the guy that took the shot.

OP
OP
greggertruck

greggertruck

First Name
g
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.twitter.com
Vehicles
Dual-CT
Occupation
Country flag
not a brake. It is a stamping press if you believe the guy that took the shot.
That's no a stamping press, it's a gantry crane lowering the base of the press/ brake / elons Twitter server cluster.

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Tesla Model 3 LR
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
That's no a stamping press, it's a gantry crane lowering the base of the press/ brake / elons Twitter server cluster.
gantry crane of course. No one would question that. I challenge the notion that there would be a brake being installed there when no such brake has been delivered to GA yet. I posted some links to possible brake manufacturers and nothing that could handle the size (length and material thickness) of the CT has been delivered. You are welcome to your conjectures; I just don't believe it.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
gantry crane of course. No one would question that. I challenge the notion that there would be a brake being installed there when no such brake has been delivered to GA yet. I posted some links to possible brake manufacturers and nothing that could handle the size (length and material thickness) of the CT has been delivered. You are welcome to your conjectures; I just don't believe it.
Doesn’t quite look like the other stamping presses. Looks more like a brake.
Sponsored