Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Avalon, Chrysler Pacifica PHEV, Ford E-250
Occupation
Retired Sheet Metal Worker
Country flag
Here's my photo of the first prototype tailgate. There are complex angles. Going from square on the inside, to quite a bit wider on the top/outside. Also, the original tailgate seemed to go beyond vertical, and didn't have cables. There is a massive hinge at the bottom of that original tailgate.

Tesla Cybertruck Cybertruck roof rack for work..... to carry long lumber on top or plumbing pipe tailgate

This photo shows the hinge:

Tesla Cybertruck Cybertruck roof rack for work..... to carry long lumber on top or plumbing pipe damage
Sponsored

Last edited:

Delusional

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
Occupation
Construction
Country flag
I just don't see how a CT is going to replace this functionality I have today. These homemade racks are now on their fourth F150. They went from an '89. to a '99, to an '08 and now on a '17. All the one inch square tube steel parts are from a 1910's's bridge demolition and were in the Ohio river for a few days. The toolboxes are from '92. Using scrapyard scales I have determined that the racks, boxes, and tools inside weigh approx 1250 pounds. I got the truck in 2020 and 18 months later the rear springs were sagging,. It's easy to upgrade to F250-type springs, i've done it four times.
Tesla Cybertruck Cybertruck roof rack for work..... to carry long lumber on top or plumbing pipe 17_f150

Here's a video going down one side.
The box tops open, which almost doubles the amount of stuff you can cram into the boxes overall. The doors open to be a very nice table.

My question is, where on a CT am I going to put 3 drills, my plumbing bag, my electrical bag, my selection of hammers, crowbars, monkeywrenches, rivet gun, stapler, sander, at least 40 types of screws, 100 other small tools and parts... and that's not mentioning the other toolbox on the passenger side.
It looks like the CT frunk is going to make even the F150 lightning's carvernous frunk look small. I'm sure I'll be able to cobble some sort of organization system into it, but with everything in one place it's going to be a jungle in there. With my current system I can pick out what i need relatively easily.
There's also a new problem of sometimes you need items from the bed of the truck and also the frunk. In many parking situations there's just not enough space for that.

I'm starting to think what I really want is a Lightning with an 8 foot bed. But they don't make such a beast.

mhaze

First Name
mhike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla 3; Smartcar; F150 Raptor; Avalanche 2500 4x4
Country flag
I just don't see how a CT is going to replace this functionality I have today. These homemade racks are now on their fourth F150. They went from an '89. to a '99, to an '08 and now on a '17. All the one inch square tube steel parts are from a 1910's's bridge demolition and were in the Ohio river for a few days. The toolboxes are from '92. Using scrapyard scales I have determined that the racks, boxes, and tools inside weigh approx 1250 pounds. I got the truck in 2020 and 18 months later the rear springs were sagging,. It's easy to upgrade to F250-type springs, i've done it four times.
17_f150.png

The box tops open, which almost doubles the amount of stuff you can cram into the boxes overall. The doors open to be a very nice table.

My question is, where on a CT am I going to put 3 drills, my plumbing bag, my electrical bag, my selection of hammers, crowbars, monkeywrenches, rivet gun, stapler, sander, at least 40 types of screws, 100 other small tools and parts... and that's not mentioning the other toolbox on the passenger side.
It looks like the CT frunk is going to make even the F150 lightning's carvernous frunk look small. I'm sure I'll be able to cobble some sort of organization system into it, but with everything in one place it's going to be a jungle in there. With my current system I can pick out what i need relatively easily.
There's also a new problem of sometimes you need items from the bed of the truck and also the frunk. In many parking situations there's just not enough space for that.

I'm starting to think what I really want is a Lightning with an 8 foot bed. But they don't make such a beast.
THIS reminds me of a conversation about the best type of Suburban or pickup to haul a trailer with a bobcat. It went on an on and then some guy blurted out "Get a dump truck. Put the bobcat in the dump truck - trust me, there is a way - and you've got everything you need right there, right?"

Okay, then you've got the perfect rig. And your nice Suburban is at home.

mhaze

First Name
mhike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla 3; Smartcar; F150 Raptor; Avalanche 2500 4x4
Country flag
OMG, this reminded me of many many years ago in the 70s I worked for Morey Boogie and one of the jobs was to drive the Morey Boogie truck. I would go pick up the foam about 2 hours up the coast in L.A. with this little Chevy Luv that we customized. Foam doesn't weigh much, so we made use of all the space we could. In this photo, the plywood sides are tilted inward (for better aero). But when it was fully loaded those sides folded out and there was about a 4' wall across the front in the cab-over section. Luckily back then the speed limit was 55mph because in that configuration fully loaded that poor little Chevy Luv had a top speed of about 50mph.

Notice on this truck the cab-over and flat bed are separate from each other.

boogietruck.jpg
That's rather amazing. Really. But the pickup rebar (or long whatever) racks were totally unlike that. It was a rack that went front bumper to rear bump and was at cab height but maybe only 1' x 1' and on the driver side only. So no loss of visibility at all.

FutureBoy

First Name
Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag
to my eye the early prototypes had more of a “boat tail” than recent prototypes - such that, yes, the tailgate was more of a parallelogram than a rectangle
Um... I don't think you mean parallelogram.
Tesla Cybertruck Cybertruck roof rack for work..... to carry long lumber on top or plumbing pipe 1678057317051

I'm guessing you mean trapezoid:
Tesla Cybertruck Cybertruck roof rack for work..... to carry long lumber on top or plumbing pipe 1678057393262

Hope to make my son proud by knowing my shapes.

FutureBoy

First Name
Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag
17_f150.png

Good video of your current setup.

How deep (side to side) are those boxes? Maybe 10-12 inches? Also looks like the stick out a bit wider than the cab. Also looks like they stick into the bed a bit. And they seem to be part of a rack system.

Just thinking... Since we believe there are mounting points for a rack on the CT. Couldn't you have triangle shaped boxes that mirror the sail pillars? Have them built into a rack that uses the mounting points? And at the max height they are level with the highest point of the CT? The tonneau cover would still be able to open and close underneath this. If they stick out a bit wider than the SS sides it will further diminish driving range but with a rack and external boxes that doesn't seem to be a huge concern. And if they are about 12 inches deep, they would possibly stick in over the bed a bit but again not really a problem since the tonneau can still open and close. In fact, if the boxes extended up over the glass panel in front of the tonneau you could have the boxes extend all the way across the glass to store items that are a bit longer than your average tool.
This still gives you full bed access like you have now. plus you can still carry all your tools (and maybe more) than you have now. And you will still have your frunk available.

Pardon my rudimentary drawing but something like this:
Tesla Cybertruck Cybertruck roof rack for work..... to carry long lumber on top or plumbing pipe 1678059114049

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
17_f150.png

Hard to know without seeing the final. I’ve been hoping sail pillar storage would solve some of this.

One of the big downsides to any big form factor is all modifications designed for the previous get tossed out the window.

Hopefully the final will have some goodies for us.

Quicksilver

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan van
Occupation
Retired military
Country flag
I just don't see how a CT is going to replace this functionality I have today.
I'm waiting on a CT like most of us here.
At Investor Day they hinted at a van version of the object of our affliction.
If they put a Cybervan on a pre-order I'll have one reserved fast.
Once it is being built I'll drop the CT like a bad habit.
My guess is a CV will be the perfect truck for Tradesmen.
Also....depending one one's work area a small trailer might be an option for hauling tools, spares and supplies with the CT.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
I'm waiting on a CT like most of us here.
At Investor Day they hinted at a van version of the object of our affliction.
If they put a Cybervan on a pre-order I'll have one reserved fast.
Once it is being built I'll drop the CT like a bad habit.
My guess is a CV will be the perfect truck for Tradesmen.
Also....depending one one's work area a small trailer might be an option for hauling tools, spares and supplies with the CT.
I think they are done with the whole pre-order process. Next vehicles just get released.

Too much chaos with Cybertruck.

Pre orders make sense when you have a product with uncertain demand and need to try and figure out scaling and early sales. With a van I don’t think they’ll have any problems. Launch it, open up ordering 2m prior to sales.

Sirfun

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Avalon, Chrysler Pacifica PHEV, Ford E-250
Occupation
Retired Sheet Metal Worker
Country flag
I think they are done with the whole pre-order process. Next vehicles just get released.

Too much chaos with Cybertruck.

Pre orders make sense when you have a product with uncertain demand and need to try and figure out scaling and early sales. With a van I don’t think they’ll have any problems. Launch it, open up ordering 2m prior to sales.
Releasing new vehicles and showing lots of pre-orders is also a way to push up the stock price. Everyone does it!

Cybertruck 1974

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Environmental Health
Country flag
so cool to see all these old posts about what it might be and what it actually turned into. Function took over and they made the truck way better than we all thought. Now I have this rack coming that solves all problems.....CyberRak

Tesla Cybertruck Cybertruck roof rack for work..... to carry long lumber on top or plumbing pipe Screenshot 2024-02-28 193027

HaulingAss

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 F-150, 2018 Model 3 Perform, FS Cybertruck
Country flag
I just don't see how a CT is going to replace this functionality I have today.
That's too bad. In fact, it really sucks.

Because it means you have to keep driving trucks with internal combustion engines! I don't see any way around it, bummer!
Sponsored