Miralf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Saab 900 turbo convertible and Tri Motor Cybertruck
Occupation
Surgeon
Country flag
Yup. The prototype was actually 250" in length, 84"wide. The specs displayed at launch were 79X230", so they fully intended it to be smaller than the proto from the get-go. The Beta is probably 79X230, not an additional 5% smaller than that.
but the beta seeing at investor day was clearly smaller than that especially regarding of rear seat legroom
Sponsored

RVAC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
-
Yup. The prototype was actually 250" in length, 84"wide. The specs displayed at launch were 79X230", so they fully intended it to be smaller than the proto from the get-go. The Beta is probably 79X230, not an additional 5% smaller than that.
So where did you get the fact that the OG truck is 250" in length?

charliemagpie

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CybrBEAST
Occupation
retired
Country flag
WTF ? Who gives a F about that lol

Holybejezus.. who comes up with this shit ?

cvalue13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150L
Occupation
Fun-employed
Country flag
Agree. In order to fit the four 12.5"-wide tires in the bed like we've seen in a photo, you'd need a minimum of 50".
the investor day proto was on 285’s, which are 11.5” or 46” wide

either way, it’s no tell

the rear window will be about as useless as any modern pickup that has a windowed topper added

with the vault tonneau either fully or even partially deployed, the rear window will be blocked entirely, like any modern pickup with a windowless topper added

which is why the video rear view mirror is a must

cvalue13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150L
Occupation
Fun-employed
Country flag
No way the original width is 84". I doubt the 5% number!
Surprises me too but early prototypes did have the regulated market lights for vehicles >80”, including the 2019 release day stage proto.

And Musk has tweeted the stage proto was 84”

that tweet was just after is Jay Leno appearance where he told Jay Leno that they were going to need to shrink the vehicle by 5%

he tweeted to say later that he had gone over it, and decided percent is too small.

For me, that makes me think the assertion 5% is consistent with Elon’s prior comments, and that ultimately had to go back on it.

However it also makes me wonder exactly what he meant by too small. It would be strange if he meant that having a more compact vehicle, the same footprint as a F150 was too small. But seems possible, if there were outsized impacts on interior and cargo room, that it would square with an assertion that the shrinkage would be “too small.”

also possible he was making a purely aesthetic judgments, that, for some reason being the same footprint as an F150 resulted in seeming merely aesthetically too small.

Or could be a bit of both.

Last edited:

RVAC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
-
No way the original width is 84". I doubt the 5% number!
Yes way, it's one of the few things we know for a fact.

So where did you get the fact that the OG truck is 250" in length?
@TheLastStarfighter still waiting for an answer. I'd also like to know how you can reconcile this statement

We have nothing to indicate that there is a size difference between triangle beta and square beta.
and then go on and say the triangle beta is 79" wide. It's either one or the other ... unless you think they put amber marker lights on the square beta (i.e. alpha prototype) for shits and giggles. Same goes for @Crissa.

Last edited:

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
If you have ever used the measure app on the iPhone, you would realize how ridiculous it is to make hard conclusions based on measurements it’s taken from 20 feet away at a weird angle.

It’s neat for making rough measurements. Not very useful if you want something precise. The further away you are, the weirder the angle, the less reliable it is.

TheLastStarfighter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Dodge Challenger, Tesla Model 3
Occupation
Industrial Engineer
Country flag
Yes way, it's one of the few things we know for a fact.

@TheLastStarfighter still waiting for an answer. I'd also like to know how you can reconcile this statement

and then go on and say the triangle beta is 79" wide. It's either one or the other ... unless you think they put amber marker lights on the square beta (i.e. alpha prototype) for shits and giggles. Same goes for @Crissa.
It was from one of the mags that had a hands on, the same way we got info that the reveal truck was 84" wide and the bed was 57" wide. These dimensions are all larger than the stated specs from reveal night. The reveal truck was just a mock up. You can tell how much longer it is than the spec'd 230" by watching the tug of war video; it's clearly at least a foot longer than the 230" F150.

My statement is that we have no idea of the size of any of the betas except the one that was at investor day. No one measured any of them. They may all be the same size, or they may all be different. We know the prototype size, we know the targeted spec dimensions, and we may have a good idea of the latest beta size when that guy Matt that was there posts his iphone measurements. Beyond that we're just speculating and eyeballing cars that weren't really parked next to anything that would allow us to get a good estimate.

mprimo

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y Performance, BMW X6
Occupation
US Government
Country flag
Surprises me too but early prototypes did have the regulated market lights for vehicles >80”, including the 2019 release day stage proto.

And Musk has tweeted the stage proto was 84”

that tweet was just after is Jay Leno appearance where he told Jay Leno that they were going to need to shrink the vehicle by 5%

he tweeted to say later that he had gone over it, and decided percent is too small.

For me, that makes me think the assertion 5% is consistent with Elon’s prior comments, and that ultimately had to go back on it.

However it also makes me wonder exactly what he meant by too small. It would be strange if he meant that having a more compact vehicle, the same footprint as a F150 was too small. But seems possible, if there were outsized impacts on interior and cargo room, that it would square with an assertion that the shrinkage would be “too small.”

also possible he was making a purely aesthetic judgments, that, for some reason being the same footprint as an F150 resulted in seeming merely aesthetically too small.

Or could be a bit of both.
yeah dude, the OG was massive. I hate myself for saying it, but the bite-sized CT seems like a better product. I hate all the integrated mudflaps, but everything else is better inside and out.

Tesla Cybertruck Model S vs. Cybertruck size comparison side-by-side (photo) CT

RVAC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
-
It was from one of the mags that had a hands on, the same way we got info that the reveal truck was 84" wide and the bed was 57" wide. These dimensions are all larger than the stated specs from reveal night. The reveal truck was just a mock up. You can tell how much longer it is than the spec'd 230" by watching the tug of war video; it's clearly at least a foot longer than the 230" F150.
I know, I've been saying the 2019 concept is over sized for ages. That was MotorTrend, they're the ones that got behind the scenes access. They stated the wheelbase was 150", I don't recall them ever stating 250" in length. What they did say is an "overall length close to a crew cab long-bed half-ton pickup".

My statement is that we have no idea of the size of any of the betas except the one that was at investor day. No one measured any of them. They may all be the same size, or they may all be different. We know the prototype size, we know the targeted spec dimensions, and we may have a good idea of the latest beta size when that guy Matt that was there posts his iphone measurements. Beyond that we're just speculating and eyeballing cars that weren't really parked next to anything that would allow us to get a good estimate.
This is the one that was being discussed as square mirror beta (i.e. one of the alpha protos), it has to be over 80" or else the amber marker lights wouldn't be there.

anionic1

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Estimator
Country flag