RVAC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
-
you haven’t measured either vehicle.
You haven't measured it either for that matter. The Alpha has amber marker lights the Beta appears to not have them. The black fender flares appear smaller on the Beta when compared to the Alpha. So we do have elements that indicate there could be a difference in width, whether you choose to believe it is a different matter altogether.
Sponsored

TheLastStarfighter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Dodge Challenger, Tesla Model 3
Occupation
Industrial Engineer
Country flag
You haven't measured it either for that matter. The Alpha has amber marker lights the Beta appears to not have them. The black fender flares appear smaller on the Beta when compared to the Alpha. So we do have elements that indicate there could be a difference in width, whether you choose to believe it is a different matter altogether.
I understand there could be. I make no baseless assumptions that there is.

FutureBoy

First Name
Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag
I googled model s dimensions, and it came up with 77.3...

Yes, if bigger, we can add the difference to the CT

The CT is 5% smaller... but where is it losing the 5% ? We have to wait and see.
That 5% is all water weight. Boat mode will just put it all back on.

FutureBoy

First Name
Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag
Agree 100%. The Cybertruck will not be 80” or greater in width. Adding federally required amber lighting to the front and rear would add to manufacturing costs with lights and associated wiring. It’s the same reason why I believe the LED light bar in the upper windshield may be shelved or made optional.
Not to disagree with you or anything. But have you counted the number of other LEDs the CT has? I'm thinking that another couple for regulation isn't going to deter Tesla. There may be lots of reasons to stay under 80" but I doubt the additional LEDs would be the deciding reason.

FutureBoy

First Name
Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag
Legend has it that BAW wiping motion is so powerful the engineers can't figure out how to dampen and that's what causing delays. The truck rotates on axis on the highest wiper setting and that's the real reason for four wheel steering.
I thought I'd use the BAW as a trebuchet to throw pumpkins on halloween.

TheLastStarfighter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Industrial Engineer
Country flag
Do you know of another fullsize vehicle with such a dramatic difference in width between the roof line and the floor? Half ton trucks are pretty close to even. This is more like a trapezoid
They are all the same. The Cybertruck is not trapezoidal, that's an illusion because of the front slope.

Here is the Ram, note the difference between the roof width and wheel to wheel.

Tesla Cybertruck Model S vs. Cybertruck size comparison side-by-side (photo) 874297

Last edited:

scottf200

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model X
Country flag
Do you know of another fullsize vehicle with such a dramatic difference in width between the roof line and the floor? Half ton trucks are pretty close to even. This is more like a trapezoid
They are all the same. The Cybertruck is not trapezoidal, that's an illusion because of the front slope.
Here is the Ram, not the difference between the roof width and wheel to wheel.
I had thought it was pretty narrow on the top as well until I went and looked for pictures.
I search for this in Google and then clicked on the Image only tab to just see pictures:
pickup truck front view

TheLastStarfighter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Industrial Engineer
Country flag
I had thought it was pretty narrow on the top as well until I went and looked for pictures.
I search for this in Google and then clicked on the Image only tab to just see pictures:
pickup truck front view
The Tesla engineers know what they're doing. The cybertruck looks radical and in some ways it is: specifically the angled flat front, unibody construction, stainless steel body bearing some of the load. But where it counts, the CT will be virtually the same as all existing trucks. The bed will be around 50" just like the F-150. The cabin will be very similar in terms of spaciousness. It has to be. There is a reason all current trucks are almost the exact same: it works. Almost all cargo is made to fit in a 4X6' bed. Drywall, plywood, sofas, fridges. They are all designed for the tools available. They need to fit through doors to get into homes.

Elon said the original truck was 84" wide, then said the production would be around 80". An F-150 is 79.9". Again, the CT will likely be the exact same, so it works with the real world just as well.

scottf200

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model X
Country flag
The Tesla engineers know what they're doing. The cybertruck looks radical and in some ways it is: specifically the angled flat front, unibody construction, stainless steel body bearing some of the load. But where it counts, the CT will be virtually the same as all existing trucks. The bed will be around 50" just like the F-150. The cabin will be very similar in terms of spaciousness. It has to be. There is a reason all current trucks are almost the exact same: it works. Almost all cargo is made to fit in a 4X6' bed. Drywall, plywood, sofas, fridges. They are all designed for the tools available. They need to fit through doors to get into homes.

Elon said the original truck was 84" wide, then said the production would be around 80". An F-150 is 79.9". Again, the CT will likely be the exact same, so it works with the real world just as well.
I understand your points.

I had this saved off from long ago related to dimensions:
Tesla Cybertruck Model S vs. Cybertruck size comparison side-by-side (photo) Dimensions - comparable sizes

Re: 54 -- [aside: Rivian has pretty cool extended arms so the tailgate extends out several more inches when down. RJ talked to Munro about it in a show-n-tell video and people have showed it for hauling things including motorcycles]
-------------------------------- ---------------- -----------------
4x4-ing angle (pun):
Tesla Cybertruck Model S vs. Cybertruck size comparison side-by-side (photo) Dimensions - comparable ground clearances

Last edited:

FutureBoy

First Name
Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag
[aside: Rivian has pretty cool extended arms so the tailgate extends out several more inches when down. RJ talked to Munro about it in a show-n-tell video and people have showed it for hauling things including motorcycles]

Dimensions - comparable sizes.jpg

4x4-ing angle (pun):
Dimensions - comparable ground clearances.jpg
All the measurements and approximations people have been doing on bed size....

Can we get a similar analysis on the ground clearance, approach and departure angles? Seems like those numbers may be different in the prototypes.

TheLastStarfighter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Industrial Engineer
Country flag
[aside: Rivian has pretty cool extended arms so the tailgate extends out several more inches when down. RJ talked to Munro about it in a show-n-tell video and people have showed it for hauling things including motorcycles]

4x4-ing angle (pun):
Dimensions - comparable ground clearances.jpg
Yup. It's interesting because the CT Prototype was 84", but they officially said it's width was 79.8". I think they always intended to trim the fat to that size. And the F-150 may be listed there at 83.5, but that's probably the Raptor. An F-150 Limited is 79.9. I think the CT prototype was actually also pushing 250" in reality, so the stated specs were likely where they planned to have the real truck end up. Again, the exact same size as the market.

scottf200

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model X
Country flag

Re: 54 -- [aside: Rivian has pretty cool extended arms so the tailgate extends out several more inches when down. RJ talked to Munro about it in a show-n-tell video and people have showed it for hauling things including motorcycles]
RIVIAN Aside: see 54" and then extended arms in this short video

fritter63

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Model 3 LR, 2019 Model 3 SR+
Occupation
Retired Software Engineer, Woodworker and guitar builder extraordinaire
Country flag
Almost all cargo is made to fit in a 4X6' bed. Drywall, plywood, sofas, fridges. They are all designed for the tools available.
And some ”4x8” sheetgoods are actually 49” wide (think MDF) to allow for edge damage in transport.

so I doubt it’s actually “4’” wide. Random Tesla employee was just generalizing.

TheLastStarfighter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Industrial Engineer
Country flag
And some ”4x8” sheetgoods are actually 49” wide (think MDF) to allow for edge damage in transport.

so I doubt it’s actually “4’” wide. Random Tesla employee was just generalizing.
Exactly. I suspect 50-51", just like the F150.
Sponsored