uscbucsfan

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Tesla Model Y, 2022 Tesla Model S LR
Country flag
He’s said it would have quad motors. Once 18 months ago. He’s never said it would be a luxury vehicle.

He’s said it needs to be affordable about 100 times. The whole launch was around the fact that it would be an affordable truck.

No, we do not.

Did you even watch the launch?

Have you watched anything about this truck? It has never been a ”designer truck”. It has always been a utility vehicle. Look at where they take this truck. How many public appearances are on construction sites? Most recently at a construction site with a tool rack and tools on it.
You understand that putting a trailer brake on a touch screen, no door handles, carpet mats, rear touchscreen, 6' bed, etc negates most notion of it being a legit work truck.

He said the prices were not the same. They've gone up. He said it last year...going out from 69,000 is over 70, no?

It's fine that you believe this could be a work truck, but there's a reason so many are disappointed with the last few reveals. What is currently being shown is a smaller, less rugged version of the original with less luxury than some of Elons promises/prototypes all with the talk of higher prices and difficult to make affordable. Plus it appears to have ridiculously massive pillars in your line of sight.

It's missing 2 target audiences at the same time. There will absolutely be enthusiast who will buy it regardless, but you think those things are what will turn the truck market upside down?

Elon is vague and often lies/exaggerates...so everyone here interprets his affordability, demand, prices won't be the same in their own way, but you have to see enthusiasm is dropping.
Sponsored

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
You understand that putting a trailer brake on a touch screen, no door handles, carpet mats, rear touchscreen, 6' bed, etc negates most notion of it being a legit work truck.
I love how people want to paint trucks as if they all have a set list of features you can point at.

We haven’t seen if or how you would add a trailer brake to a Cybertruck so I’m not sure where you are getting your intel here. That said, the vast majority of trucks do not have trailer brakes installed. It is not a requirement.

The doors open and close. Not sure what else you do with door handles, but they have this covered.

Most recent photo it looks like a rubberized floor. Not very clear. Regardless, the vast majority of trucks have carpets and carpet mats.

Cybertruck has a bigger bed than the F150 Lightning and it is right in the ballpark of normal truck bed size. Very few trucks ship with 8’ beds anymore.

Do you even drive trucks at all?

He said the prices were not the same. They've gone up. He said it last year...going out from 69,000 is over 70, no?
Prices of everything have come down since then. Don’t get me wrong, I wouldn’t be surprised if the top end truck is over $70k, but we don’t know this is the case. It is all conjecture.

What is currently being shown is a smaller, less rugged version of the original with
It is marginally smaller, which was mentioned 2+ years ago. The vault size appears very close to the original size. I have no idea what you mean by “Less Rugged”.

…less luxury than some of Elons promises/prototypes all with the talk of higher prices and difficult to make affordable.
This is a self-own. You’ve made up this fantasy of what the truck is in your head and you are disappointed it is merely what it has been all along.

Nobody at Tesla has ever used the word luxury or hinted that this would be a luxury or designer truck. If you’ve made up some nerd fantasy that you’d have this super-nerd status symbol truck, this is your own doing.

Go to the Peterson. Or just look at pictures from the Peterson. That is what the truck has always been pitched as. Look at Tesla’s web page, the one where they talk about cargo capacity, hauling capacity and towing capacity and NEVER talk about luxury features.

You’ve fooled yourself here.

uscbucsfan

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
The base truck was priced at $40k.

Let that sink in. You don’t get a ton of Lux for $40k.
We aren't talking about the $40k version which may or may not get made.

I love how people want to paint trucks as if they all have a set list of features you can point at.

We haven’t seen if or how you would add a trailer brake to a Cybertruck so I’m not sure where you are getting your intel here. That said, the vast majority of trucks do not have trailer brakes installed. It is not a requirement.
I've owned many trucks. Trailer brakes are in ever truck with a towing packing that I've ever driven. I've seen trucks that didn't have them, but to my knowledge didn't have a towing package.

The doors open and close. Not sure what else you do with door handles, but they have this covered.
You are very set in your mind that whatever is in the truck is fine. That's your opinion, but how many who are in the market for trucks is that appealing to? You've been in conversations with people who are upset about these features...many of them. It's an expensive add-on that is unnecessary for a work Truck, but more on this later.

No door handles are being received as bad as the yoke. It's just a massive departure for what works and an unnecessary over complication. What's the utility in that?

It is marginally smaller, which was mentioned 2+ years ago. The vault size appears very close to the original size. I have no idea what you mean by “Less Rugged”.
Again, that's your opinion. I see it as much smaller, especially in interior space. It was a major selling point for me the massive size. Elon mentioned "maybe 5% smaller", then said "We've kept it about the same size", then this year we see it's about 5% smaller.

This is a self-own. You’ve made up this fantasy of what the truck is in your head and you are disappointed it is merely what it has been all along.

Nobody at Tesla has ever used the word luxury or hinted that this would be a luxury or designer truck. If you’ve made up some nerd fantasy that you’d have this super-nerd status symbol truck, this is your own doing.

Go to the Peterson. Or just look at pictures from the Peterson. That is what the truck has always been pitched as. Look at Tesla’s web page, the one where they talk about cargo capacity, hauling capacity and towing capacity and NEVER talk about luxury features.

You’ve fooled yourself here.
Elon has.

I've listened to Elon on podcasts and read his twitter. He's talked about 4-motors more than just that 1 tweet saying something about making it one of the best off-road trucks in the world and needing 4-motors to accomplish that.

On Joe Rogan he said they are packing it so full of features it's getting him excited. This was another instance of him calling it a technology bandwagon. He said it's getting to be like the Model X with how many things they are throwing in it.

There are numerous other quotes over the years that Elon has built this up to be far more than a regular truck with some weird, pointless additions.

Again, there's a CT version with a MUCH nicer interior.

You are very defensive over the truck, but Elon is the reason why there is so much backlash.

As we've discussed at length, EVs aren't the best option for those who want to haul things long distances because of the size of the tank. If the CT has a 200+kwh battery, it could be closer to ICE vehicles, but then we are above $70k in price with what appears to be that $40k interior.

This isn't just me who is not happy with this. There's a lot of people and those opinions are all valid. I feel like you have very little understanding of the typical truck owner segment. There's a reason that picture is being mocked by so many, beyond typically Tesla hate. The radical design of the truck was already very polarizing and the picture yesterday is just as much so.

If the truck gets 500 miles, I'm still interested, but you can understand how it would be difficult to pay more than 70k for what we saw yesterday, right? At that price point I can get similar distance with much more features from 4 or 5 other trucks....which is why I said, I hope the top trim version is better.

"Do you even truck?", I get it...you're defensive, but more dislike the truck than like it at this point and these are some reasons why. It doesn't mean you have to dislike it.

Huntsman

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
Occupation
Heavy Equipment Ops
Country flag
I think there’s some conflation going on here

It’s one thing to say “initially and for a while the CT will be priced higher than hoped, until they can optimize manufacturing costs and ultimately through volume reach a larger segment of the pricing market” - which I think is the only rational version of Elon’s aspirations

It’s another, irrational, thing to say instead “the CT will be proved higher than hoped so will never be priced for a larger segment” or the inverse corollary “the CT must be priced affordably right off the bat or it will never sell in the volumes Musk intends”

Elon’s exact message today was that it’s difficult to dream up and execute an entirely new manufacturing process for a vehicle, and even more difficult to then produce and sell those vehicles affordably…. at least initially
If you are a farmer, ranch hand, tradesmen, you drive a pick up, inless you live in the NW (USA), then you drive one of those… van shapped things. The majority of Americans dont NEED a truck, as is obvious in the NW. So from Tesla’s perspective, what is it about the rest of the population that WANTS a truck and what does it take to attract that segment? Few farmers or tradesmen will look twice at this Martian shaped wedge but Elon wants that segment that wants a truck to haul spring landscape supplies, go weekend camping with the kids, tail-gating within the SEC (and intl fleet & military sales)
Next, and I love the comment regarding ‘Affordable’ may not mean the same to the richest man in the world… what is affordable to these truck ‘wanters’?
While production costs can be estimated based on other R&D and assembly line historical data, 9000 ton presses and exoskeleton production cannot be so accurately estimated.
Mr Musk desires this ‘truck wanters’ market as well as picking up some enviro-minimalists curious about EV. So what price will bring them from their conventional truck or large SUV platform over to the Martian ectoskelton wedge ? Next what are the hidden costs of the wedge that will not be known for a year or so? Finally, what profit margin is Tesla willing to accept?
Many of the p/u truck platforms have either announced prices over 100k or they are only accepting near 100k despite their lower advertised MSRP from a very small customer base. They have such limited production; it is the eccentric willing to pay these prices (and hidden add ons) that cloud the vision of reality pricing.
Tesla may announce pricing and have 10% cancellations and be content; announce pricing and have more demand than they can produce (prices go up) or… Early deliveries pay top dollar and demand drops so much Tesla has to reduce profit margin and reduce sales price to stay in the game. I too wish we could stick with 2019 pricing but I think this may be a wild ride. Timing for this radical truck is unique as the EV market is waned or ready to explode - more than any of us on this forum have the insight to imagine.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
"Do you even truck?", I get it...you're defensive, but more dislike the truck than like it at this point and these are some reasons why. It doesn't mean you have to dislike it.
The truck is exactly what it’s always been.

I’m not being defensive. I’m pointing out that the truck not being this thing you’ve built up in your head has never existed. You’ve owned yourself. Over and over. You’ve fooled yourself.

I know you are not alone here. Lots of people want this truck to be some kind of weird nerd icon. Glad that the posers are dropping off now.

uscbucsfan

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
You are whining about shit that 90% of trucks lack.

You are complaining about Luxury features which are “missing” that were never there and never hinted at.

You’ve built up this little fantasy truck in your head and it’s not real and has never been real.
Again, the things myself and others are expecting is due to what Elon has said about it.

If I'm "whining" you are on the opposite logical spectrum of being a fan boy. These are legitimate complaints that truck owners have about the CT beyond being anti-EV.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Again, the things myself and others are expecting is due to what Elon has said about it.
Musk has hinted a couple of times that there might be a Plaid or Quad version.

He has said hundreds of times that their goal is to make it affordable.

Look at the launch truck. Look at the launch pricing. Look at the current truck which looks almost the same as the launch truck, interior and exterior. Look at the interior that is almost exactly the sort of interior you would expect out of a work truck.

Your fantasy is over. You can wake up now. You fell in love with a thing which has never existed.

You keep talking about me defending the truck. Nothing to “Defend” here. It is what it always has been.

Last edited:

uscbucsfan

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Musk has hinted a couple of times that there might be a Plaid or Quad version.

He has said hundreds of times that their goal is to make it affordable.

Look at the launch truck. Look at the launch pricing. Look at the current truck which looks almost the same as the launch truck, interior and exterior. Look at the interior that is almost exactly the sort of interior you would expect out of a work truck.

Your fantasy is over. You can wake up now. You fell in love with a thing which has never existed.

You keep talking about me defending the truck. Nothing to “Defend” here. It is what it always has been.
To be honest I fell in love with the max range in a truck format.

I grew more excited about all of the hype Elon built around it being a technology bandwagon and having "more crazy features than rival even the Model X", but maybe cost got in the way. It's reasonable to assume that in 2019 they didn't understand the complexities and cost of building this out and had to cut some of that out.

If it gets 500 miles, a lot of other gripes are put aside. If it doesn't, and there's no point in postulating that it won't at this point even with the 4680 issues, then I and others will pass on it. With 500 miles it will be the closest EV that can get close to replacing ICE in towing. I am concerned with pricing for that type of range if the interior features are so slim.

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Tesla Model 3 LR
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
Elon has said multiple times there will be a Plaid 4 motor technology bandwagon CT.

You've seen the quotes.

We also know the tri-motor will in the very least be more than 70k.

Also, it's crazy to call this truck a work truck. Cameras in doors, no handles, all touchscreen. It's a designer truck. It's not made to haul heavy shit a long way and be on a worksite...Go to a random truck message board and look at opinions or even here and TMC. That's not what majority think this truck is.
Elon said the Cybertruck will be a technology bandwagon, not a particular trim.

there is no evidence of what the tri-motor price will be.

Personally I do not see why the Cybertruck cannot be a utility/work/sport truck and also be comfortable inside, but it can still be spartan like other Tesla vehicles. I would love to have 4 cup holders in the front though! Although there has been no prototype with it I have always hoped for side view monitors and would happily pay for them but no longer expect to see them.

I do wonder why they haven’t gotten the display fixed. It looks the same as on unveiling and it’s been almost 4 years!

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Tesla Model 3 LR
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag

It's fine that you believe this could be a work truck, but there's a reason so many are disappointed with the last few reveals. What is currently being shown is a smaller, less rugged version of the original with less luxury than some of Elons promises/prototypes all with the talk of higher prices and difficult to make affordable. Plus it appears to have ridiculously massive pillars in your line of sight.

It's missing 2 target audiences at the same time. There will absolutely be enthusiast who will buy it regardless, but you think those things are what will turn the truck market upside down?

Elon is vague and often lies/exaggerates...so everyone here interprets his affordability, demand, prices won't be the same in their own way, but you have to see enthusiasm is dropping.
All that Elon said about pricing in answer to a direct question about honoring the prices at unveiling was that Tesla could not keep prices constant with shortages, supply chain issues, and inflation. But most of those impacts have now subsided. As with everything, you have to consider context. I see no reason why Tesla cannot be close to their original pricing, but I would not be surprised if they have to raise prices a bit. I would expect any price increase to be met with a lot of very public complaining (as happened with Rivian).

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag

WHIZZARD OF OZ

First Name
Ivan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW Up!
Occupation
Electric Wheelchair Builder
Country flag
This is the part of speculation I hate and try not to get wrapped up in. But I feel like the first year will be the CT with the best margin for Tesla. I'm thinking the spec monster/high price version to spark demand then the lower spec will fly off the lines at volume 8 months to a year later, when the manufacturing process is streamlined.

I think the worst thing they can do is sell a truck that is only marginally better or merely equal to the Lightning. They need to put out a killer that makes the choice a no-brainer. And it can't just be the best electric truck it needs to be the best consumer truck.

I think they're initially aiming it at the Raptor/TRX/trophy truck buyer, not the economy work truck buyer. That's because initially they won't have the ability to have a work truck be economical and they won't have production numbers high enough to accommodate work fleets anyway. So the top spec trucks for weekend warriors and urban pothole crushers will probably roll out first. The top spec CT will cost a bit less than the Lightning Platinum($98k), and that's my guess. But my guess is no better than anyone else's.

And for more perspective.... Ford only delivered 5k Lightnings in Q1 this year, putting them on track to only deliver 20k. Even with ramping difficulties Tesla is going to gut them.
If we play the guessing game, l will stay with the original 'back of napkin math' that showed the following:
Single: $49,999.99 ( Wish they do make it )
'Duel': $59,999.99
TRI: $79,999.99
QUAD: $89,999.99
Let's hope my numbers are 'inflated' coz it starts to get pricy here in Australia once you go down the add on 'Black Rabbit Hole' [FSD, etc]

Lasttoy

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2013 S. CT ordered
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Business wise, it would be better to set pricing to allow us to get full 7500 tax credit. Like 79995, 69995, 59995. But, remember Tesla has the highest profit margin in the world. 25%. The truck will be VERY cheap to build. No pain, no curves, but have many features of the Plaid. The demand is so high now, it will take 5 years to clear backorders. And if he opens to Europe and rest of world. Hold on till October, then we know.

RVAC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
-
less rugged version of the original with less luxury than some of Elons promises/prototypes all with the talk of higher prices and difficult to make affordable.
That's your interpretation, a conflicting one at that, I never got that impression.

Again, there's a CT version with a MUCH nicer interior.
I see the problem, you set yourself up for disappointment with unrealistic expectations. The chances that a Plaid version of the Cybertruck will have a substantially different interior are very low, that's just not how Tesla usually does things.

Plus it appears to have ridiculously massive pillars in your line of sight. [...] It's missing 2 target audiences at the same time. There will absolutely be enthusiast who will buy it regardless, but you think those things are what will turn the truck market upside down?
Maybe, maybe not. What's not really in question is that this is what the Cybertruck has been from the outset.
Sponsored