Un-killable? Will a 'Tesla Killer' be coming for the Cybertruck? (Video)

TeslaHugger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla M3
Country flag
It's hard to say what cybertruck killer will be. Rivian doesn't have the cult following that Tesla has. Ford's electric F150 has the potential that will be but that will depend on the Ford fans willing to switch from gas to electric. I doubt they will because of human nature.

Human nature is to accept the default unless there is a compelling reason to switch. Right now the default is gas for most people and not EV.

SpaceYooper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
13' F150, 17' Explorer, 13' Cruz, 13' Clubman
Occupation
Retired USSF SNCO, REALTOR®
Country flag
Ford truck owners...myself included will not have a problem switching to an E-F150 if it meets our spec needs and is competitively priced in a manner that makes economic sense. It's not as if we enjoy paying hundreds of dollars per month for gas.

Having said that...Ford is going to have to make some changes to keep me in an F-150 electric or not. 1) get rid of the suicide doors on the extended cab. 2) disconnect the front seat belt from the back door in the extended cab. Dumbest thing ever to have to undo my drivers seat belt so the back door can open.

I realize both these problems I've expressed could be fixed by getting a crew cab (4 full size doors). However, I don't need that extra room and it makes the truck even longer. I can get my extended cab truck with the 6.5' bed into my garage. I can't get a crew cab with a 6.5' bed into my garage. 6.5' bed with the tailgate up is mandatory for me. If Ford makes their E-F150 crew cab with a 6.5' bed but shorter front end (which they should be able to since it won't have an engine in there) to keep the overall length equal to or less then the CT then I'll consider it. I would also consider an E-F150 extended cab with a 6.5' bed if they fix the above mentioned items...otherwise I will not.

Akgolf

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 and 2022 Tesla Model Ys
Occupation
Retired Computer Programmer, USAF
Country flag
Never owned a truck and don’t see a use for one.

Cybertruck on the other hand is incredibly useful for my needs.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
I would worry that some of these predictions aren't as solid as some of your earlier ones... But I'm glad you're putting them out there. If ths can get other truck companies to sit up and notice, all the better.

So many people seem to think Rivian is where it's at for the 'work truck' but their truck costs almost fifty percent more. I expect they'll do fine, but it's an expensive truck. I know that's not Rivian's target market, but that's what the general population says.

Lordstown believes they'll be first to market but they've yet to confirm specs and their charging speed and battery suply is very iffy. Honestly, they showed no motor building equipment, so I'm not sure they'll ever deliver.

Nikola is having FUD problems. They really needed to nail down some customers for their big truck and fuel system, and so far... Not so good. Even a route like Tesla's Reno -> Fremont would be what they need.

Ford will have an uphill battle to sell their E-trucks unless they take huge losses on them. It's just that every EV they sell hurts their profit margin, so it'll be tough. Same price point problem as Rivian, honestly.

Hummer is... Well, they didn't last last time, why would they this time?

I think Cybertruck is more unassailable mostly because the competition is still so weak. Trucks need solid recharging networks and durability, and that's what Tesla is aiming at. That they're looking to have the most efficient of the E-trucks under load is probably the most important and under appreciated point. That will let them have more range, period.

-Crissa

Sirfun

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Avalon, Chrysler Pacifica PHEV, Ford E-250
Occupation
Retired Sheet Metal Worker
Country flag
So many people seem to think Rivian is where it's at for the 'work truck' but their truck costs almost fifty percent more. I expect they'll do fine, but it's an expensive truck. I know that's not Rivian's target market, but that's what the general population says.
-Crissa
If that's what the general population says, they're way off. When you look at Rivian's Youtube video advertising, it looks like they are targeting Porsche, Range Rover, and Tesla ModelX owners. High end SUV adventure seeking people that want to be environmentally minded. I really can't imagine work truck owners giving any thought of Rivian even being a truck. It's a toy hauler.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
If that's what the general population says, they're way off. ... I really can't imagine work truck owners giving any thought of Rivian even being a truck. It's a toy hauler.
Yeah, but that's what I see when I read non-EV threads about trucks. They see the Rivian as being more compatible with how people use trucks today.

They also probably don't know Rivian's price... But lots of contractor trucks today are luxury trucks. The median truck price (including all commercial fleet sales) is still about the same as Cybertruck's. Which since that was Model 3's target as well, I think Tesla is aiming for it intentionally.

There's a perception of Tesla as 'only for rich people' which may also explain the size and number of initial delivery flaws... Does anyone inspect their mid-size mundane cars as much as people do Tesla's bottom of the line cars?

Having that in-built market Tesla does will insulate them from these market forces, but the perception of Tesla may come back to bite them later. Especially on the Cybertruck. Hopefully it will hit its target price and delivery and flood the streets, which will change the perception.

-Crissa

Last edited:

Daweism

First Name
Dawei
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Ford Raptor (Supercab)
Occupation
Tech
Country flag
Ford truck owners...myself included will not have a problem switching to an E-F150 if it meets our spec needs and is competitively priced in a manner that makes economic sense. It's not as if we enjoy paying hundreds of dollars per month for gas.

Having said that...Ford is going to have to make some changes to keep me in an F-150 electric or not. 1) get rid of the suicide doors on the extended cab. 2) disconnect the front seat belt from the back door in the extended cab. Dumbest thing ever to have to undo my drivers seat belt so the back door can open.

I realize both these problems I've expressed could be fixed by getting a crew cab (4 full size doors). However, I don't need that extra room and it makes the truck even longer. I can get my extended cab truck with the 6.5' bed into my garage. I can't get a crew cab with a 6.5' bed into my garage. 6.5' bed with the tailgate up is mandatory for me. If Ford makes their E-F150 crew cab with a 6.5' bed but shorter front end (which they should be able to since it won't have an engine in there) to keep the overall length equal to or less then the CT then I'll consider it. I would also consider an E-F150 extended cab with a 6.5' bed if they fix the above mentioned items...otherwise I will not.
Raptor owner here.

I think most Raptor owners will have no problems switching. A lot have already gone with the Gen 2 V6 engine and most Raptor owners only drive the Raptor as a sports vehicle. Whatever gives me the best performance on and off road is what I wanna drive.

Deleted member 3884

I’ve been driving Chevys for 15 years. I’ve been brand loyal but I’m switching to Cybertruck. I’ve never owed a truck. I’ve thought gas trucks are gas guzzlers. If my calculations are close the Cybertruck will cost the same or slightly less than running my Chevy impala. Chevy people will first look at the electric hummer in r new and unnamed Chevy ev truck. I can’t wait to switch to Tesla.
Sponsored