Tesla owners are going to be able to remotely view what their Autopilot cameras can see

MEDICALJMP

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Avalon, Rav4, Tri-motor Cybertruck
Occupation
Nurse
Country flag
Tesla owners are going to be able to remotely view what their Autopilot cameras can see

- Nov. 28th 2020 3:32 pm ET

Tesla’s Sentry Mode is about to bring things to a whole new level by enabling Tesla owners to remotely see what their cars can see through Autopilot cameras.

We recently learned that Tesla is planning a big software update, likely version 11, to be pushed to its fleet around the holidays.

CEO Elon Musk is teasing a ‘fire’ update with new surprise features.

We are still trying to figure out what new features are going to make it into the update and we might have a good lead on an interesting feature.

For a while now, Tesla has been talking about better integrating its Tesla Sentry Mode feature into its mobile app.

Sentry Mode is an integrated surveillance system inside Tesla’s vehicles using the Autopilot cameras around the car and it has been changing the game when it comes to vandalizing parked cars.

On several occasions, Sentry Mode videos went viral, and the vandals turned themselves in after online pressure.

In other cases, video evidence helped police identify and find the vandals.

The feature was built on top of “TeslaCam,” a previously released integrated dashcam system with similar capability as Sentry mode, but used when someone is inside the car.

TeslaCam helped several Tesla owners with insurance claims by proving that they weren’t at fault in some accidents captured by the integrated dashcam system.

In order to activate the TeslaCam and Sentry Mode features, owners have to plug a storage device, thumb drive, or SSD inside their Tesla and activate the features in the settings.

Originally, owners had to take that storage device and connect it to a computer in order to view the footage.

Earlier this year, Tesla released a new in-car Sentry mode viewer – facilitating the review of the footage for owners.

Now hacker ‘green’, who has been revealing new Tesla features found in software updates, believes that the automaker is working on letting owners remote livestream what their cars’ see with their Autopilot cameras:

“Well, the remote camera viewing seems to be in the wings, whenever they’ll drop it in 2020.48 or if they’ll postpone it again – I don’t know.”
Everything is apparently going to be handled through the app:

Tesla Cybertruck Tesla owners are going to be able to remotely view what their Autopilot cameras can see Screen Shot 2020-11-29 at 11.55.41 AM

Tesla owners can already have an extensive look at the status of their vehicles, including the doors open or close, same for windows, charge port, and more.

Now they are going to be able to see around their vehicles even if no Sentry Mode event has been activated.

Electrek’s Take
I don’t think it’s going to be an extremely useful feature, but it’s one of those Tesla features that is just cool and I am sure some creative Tesla owners are going to find some interesting use cases.

It’s not clear if the feature is going to make it into Tesla v11.

As green said, the feature has apparently appeared in the software before, but it has been delayed.

However, with the way Elon has been hyping the holiday update, I think that’s a likely candidate as one of those “surprise features”.
Sponsored

T3slaDad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3, RWD Cybertruck
Country flag
I can't wait for this! Imagine getting an alert that the spark was triggered and also getting to see the recorded and live footage of sentry most then and there? I would love to have this ability on my M3!

This is yet another one of the bazillion reasons I love Tesla: it's always getting better and doesn't cost me anything. No having to trade in my model for the next model because it magically has a feature that they excluded from versions past, no more dealing with buggy dashboards, crappy in-car software, laggy GPS systems, etc. Everything about the car works flawlessly, and if it doesn't it'll just get an update over time to make it work smoothly. And if that's not enough, the software updates will actually unlock features I've always dreamed of having in a car!

HaulingAss

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 F-150, 2018 Model 3 Perform, FS Cybertruck
Country flag
I can't wait for this! Imagine getting an alert that the spark was triggered and also getting to see the recorded and live footage of sentry most then and there? I would love to have this ability on my M3!

This is yet another one of the bazillion reasons I love Tesla: it's always getting better and doesn't cost me anything. No having to trade in my model for the next model because it magically has a feature that they excluded from versions past, no more dealing with buggy dashboards, crappy in-car software, laggy GPS systems, etc. Everything about the car works flawlessly, and if it doesn't it'll just get an update over time to make it work smoothly. And if that's not enough, the software updates will actually unlock features I've always dreamed of having in a car!
I can already see live footage of Sentry Mode from my phone whenever the car is parked. I activate the cameras from my Android app and select one of four exterior cameras to stream video. It works no matter how far away I am from my car.

This was a new feature rolled out earlier this year, first to iOS users and then to Android users. Tesla doesn't play favorites here, some of the new features get rolled out to the Android app first and the iOS app second.

Tesla is unique amongst the automakers in that the legacy automakers avoid making your car better after the sale (or they charge you big bucks for any improvements) while Tesla wants to make your car better. They could charge big bucks for these features and most people would pay it but they value making their customers happy. Legacy makers want you to buy another new car ASAP so they ensure your car doesn't get better after you buy it.

When I bought a brand new Volvo I told the service department the engine had a slight misfire under certain conditions. The engine was not running as smoothly as it should. At first, they didn't have a fix for it, about six months after I bought it they told me there was a software fix for the improper running. It was going to cost me well over a hundred dollars to have the software fix installed on my car (and I needed to bring it to the dealer). I told them that wasn't right, this is a brand new car and is under warranty. They said it wasn't a warranty issue, it was considered an upgrade and that it cost them money to install it! I argued quite a bit but they wouldn't budge!

I paid the money but the rough running continued to happen under certain conditions. Over the next two years I paid for two more software upgrades and while there might have been some slight improvement, they never really did fix the rough running under certain conditions, particularly in the winter.

Our Tesla's never run rough, LOL! Such ancient technology, this internal combustion BS! Free software upgrades for all! Even when it's for additional functionality, that's what I want! And no need to bring it back to the dealership to receive it. Legacy auto is living in the dark ages if they think they can continue to get away with that kind of BS!

Tesla Cybertruck Tesla owners are going to be able to remotely view what their Autopilot cameras can see Screenshot 2023-06-23 at 9.21.35 AM

Tesla Cybertruck Tesla owners are going to be able to remotely view what their Autopilot cameras can see FzT1c06X0AEehgG (1) copy

Last edited by a moderator:

Throwcomputer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
07 Ridgeline, Vintage Vespas, 02 Harley Sportster
Occupation
TV & Film
Country flag
I can't wait for the first teslacam/sentry mode shot feature film to hit the film festival circuits and receive awards for crap!

?‍♂
Sponsored

Last edited: